Possible new specs on Macbook Pro 15" & 17", from Wikipedia (Bogus?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lyshen, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Lyshen macrumors 6502

From the wikipedia entry on Macbook Pro, there's an entry regarding possible leak of the new specs for the Macbook Pro and possible release date.

Wikipedia, MBP entry

"An unknown source who goes by the name "TEHAPPLELEAKERZ", claims to have gotten info regarding the new MacBook Pro line from a very reliable source and has apparently released information of the new MacBook Pro models, which will be available starting January, 22, 2008. The base 15" model includes a 256MB DDR3 8600M GT and a 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn processor. The high-end 15" model will include a 256MB DDR3 8700M GT, a 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn processor (with a 2.8GHz Extreme BTO option), along with a BTO option of a 1680x1050 LED screen. The new 17" MacBook Pro will feature a 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn processor (with a 2.8GHz Extreme BTO option), a 256MB 8700M GT (with a 8800M GTX BTO option), and an updated LED screen. The biggest part of this info is the new cooling system Apple is including, which will allow it to comfortably run even with an Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme processor and a 8800M GTX. Finally, Apple is planning to include a $200 price drop on every MacBook Pro model."

I copied and pasted it since maybe it will be removed. Whether its even true, who knows.

But thought be interesting for people to see and read.

edit:
    Also to point out, no mention of the new multi-touch pad. :(

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

You actually trust Wikipedia? That was written by an anonymous user.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

First thing you have to check is whether or not any manufacturers are making 15" and 17" LED screens yet, especially ones with decent hi-res resolutions. When they're being made, it wont be long before Apple uses them, however last I heard they weren't making them yet.

Everything else seems possible really, if that is Intel's line-up for Penryn. I'd rather see a high-end quad-core mobile chip myself. That'd really separate the 2/3 lines, although hardly any software can take advantage of it.

However I don't know what Apple could introduce to cool such a system, all they seem to care about is making the laptops slimmer and slimmer. The only cooling system I could think they'd add would be transferring the heat directly to your lap.

4. Lyshen thread starter macrumors 6502

LoL, not saying I trust Wikipedia, but found it amusing.... surprised it hasn't been removed.

Btw, does any manufacturer even make 17" LED screens?

I'd guess its bogus.

5. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

6. ibinco macrumors regular

ibinco

Well we will find out soon enough i guess. But trusting the wiki is about as reliable as saying that hailey's comet will come round next week. Anyway the specs sound good enough for me :)

7. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

How long before someone re-edits that entry to something a bit more "exciting" :p

8. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

the 2.8GHz BTO is quite tempting

but i dont like how they use the 8700 ( if too, the news are real )

why not 8800, 8600 is even better than the 8700

9. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

10. Lyshen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok that info add-on posted on Wikipedia is gone now. Of course, its really just another rumor/speculation.

Just hope Apple releases the refresh soon.

11. djellison macrumors 68020

1680 x 1050 LED
    2.6 Ghz Penryn.
    £1500
    That's about right. Still a significant Apple price premium, but entirely plausable.

I want to buy that, right now.

Doug

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I know it's both from wikipedia and an anon. source, but the specs seem somewhat believable. Also, the 22nd doesn't seem that unbelievable either.

13. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have no idea what cooling they could possibly use beyond their current copper+aluminum+heatpipe+fans get up. The next step in cooling is all copper, properly pasted, maybe even lapped to make it as even and smooth as possible. After that comes water cooling, and frankly that is just insane in a laptop.

Aside from the cooling issue, OS X itself can utilize a quad-core, even if some of the software doesn't properly. I seem to remember that Handbrake for example, will use all 4 cores, as does iMovie and iDVD, but I am not sure about some others.

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I would believe the 8800m gtx wouldn't fit in a MBP

15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The Macbook Pro's already use LED screens for the 15" model. Not sure if anyone is yet making 17" though

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I would have thought they'd use a slightly wider divide between the lower end MBP and the higher end. Maybe 2.4GHz Penryn in the Lower and 2.6GHz in the higher?

Not sure about the graphics, but I definately think they'll be including a 256MB graphics in the lower end (or at least I hope so).

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

If the Macbook Pro had an 8800m GTX BTO option, a core 2 extreme X7900, etc, it would be in direct competition with Alienware, which doesn't sound quite in apple's market.

The graphics cards won't be upgraded that much. Adding more RAM to the 8600GT seems likely, and the obvious speed bumps.

18. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

what's wrong with the current 8600GT? it's already the best VGA for laptop there is, but my top guess is, only the processor will be upgraded ( 2.6 and 2.8 BTO penryn)

19. Rich89 macrumors newbie

Ordered my Macbook Pro yesterday, seems to be takng longer than i thought, estimated date for shipping is 21-23rd (giving credit to the update on the 22nd???) delivery 30th+, would be great if i got the bump, if introduced on tuesday but i dont care if i dont, and kind of expect not, as there probably wouldn't be immediate shipping. The date on the site said 2-3 days etimated but in reality its 4-6, guessing this is normal but any thoughts??? Im in the UK so any nasty suprises and i'll just pay the £50 return fee (by the way, anyonw know if its still this expensive if you dont open the box :)

20. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Curious as to what MBP you ordered and what the configuration is.

Thanks

21. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

any kind of hope is good i guess.
    if i didnt have a powerbook from work, i would be buying a mbp this weekend.
    but with rumors going i can help myself but to wait a few weeks.
    of course there will always be rumors.

22. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Damn you internet for making me writhe in pain over the simple decision of either saying fook it and get a 2.2 current MBP from the store right now or wait 1-? weeks for a refresh of undetermined significance.
    I swear the discussions wave in favor of one to the other on an almost hourly basis. Twice now if the store had not been closed I would have taken the plunge only to wake up the next day to find myself favoring waiting once more.

Gah! Damn you all to hell!

23. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Those sound like fine enhancements to me. I'd be very happy with that. But, alas, I'm sure that is bogus. I will be looking anxiously for any changes on the next two Tuesday mornings to be sure....

24. Rich89 macrumors newbie

I ordered the 15" 2.4, but added the 200gb 7200rpm hard drive, which might be responsible for the wait i suppose, im fairly new to apple so not really sure how it works yet.

25. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

You have a BTO machine and it has to be made specially with the 200GB drive. I did the same thing and it delayed the machine for about two weeks. I also had the 2.6Ghz chip installed. I was told that they only do limited runs and that may be why you are waiting a few more days. Mine too was built at the end of the month.