Possible PowerBook G5 discovered!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Anonymous Freak, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Many Mac collectors may be familiar with the enthusiast haplain, mostly over at the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army.

Well, he seems to have gotten a hold of the Holy Grail of mythical Macs...

He still hasn't confirmed it yet (doesn't want to dismantle it sufficiently to prove it, and hasn't gotten it up and running yet,) but it has all the hallmarks of being an honest-to-goodness PowerBook G5.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Looks like it has a MacBook Pro battery! The label on the top (if I read it correctly) says it's a 1.1Ghz. Might even be a early intel MBP.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I am quite simply speechless. It all adds up - dates, codenames, power consumption. Haplain has done it again!

4. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It's dated 2003 - WAAAY too early for a serious Intel portable. But quite within reason for a G5...

Apple switched to Intel when Intel's roadmap was clearly superior to IBM's. That didn't happen until 2004 at the earliest - in 2003 Intel was still balls-to-the-wall going after pure GHz, power-be-damned. The line that would become Core 2 Duo had *JUST* started (Pentium M) and was still "that low-power notebook chip" with *ZERO* plans for it to take over the desktop.

It wouldn't have made sense for Apple to mock up a full Intel notebook at that point - it was sufficient just to "keep the lights on".

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's my understanding that Apple nixed a G5 PowerBook because of heat. The G4 processors at the time required a lot of design to minimize their heat and Jobs himself responded once to an email about how hot the laptops got, saying it was normal.

I don't deny that there may have been a G5 prototype, but if so, it was never more than that.

Well…except for this model anyway…

Attached Files:

6. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Yeah the g5 was a for sure power hungry beast I also remember countless nights with the ol PowerBook lifting it up off my burning legs and steadily gauging my temps with the use of a fan program I can't remember the name but I had it for free then did a fresh install of 10.5 and lost it then after that I was stuck with one that I had to set it within seconds because it would slide off the side of the screen (someone will know what I'm talkin about) I would like to get my hands on something like that since I've become somewhat of a collector.

7. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Yes...watching the keynote for the original MBP, Jobs said Apple tried and tried to see if there was any way possible to fit a G5 in a notebook computer, but all in vain because of the heat and power consumption.

8. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

There were almost definitely prototypes in various forms. It's just that none have ever escaped into the wild. From preliminary inspection of the markings and device, this looks like it could actually be the first to escape Cupertino (or more likely, mandated archival/destruction). I will ask some of my friends who currently work in Apple's laptop engineering divisions about this.

9. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

This is amazing, it downright made me come back to the forum just to see this. Simply gobsmacked...

10. ifrit05, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

W.O.W. My jaw just dropped after reading that forum thread.
    Aparently it was recently found that it uses the S3Lite Southbridge used in iMac G5's and late 2004 Single 1.8 PowerMac G5's. (Low Power Chipset version).

EVERYTHING adds up. This guy is crazy lucky. I'm so jelly. :)

11. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Damn. It's a dualie G4, not a G5.

Big shame, but still awesome! Imagine dual-core PowerBook G4's knocking around!

Going along the lines of what the guys on the other forum have said - it looks highly likely that it was an early tester 'plan-b' attempt, mocked up after giving up on a G5 variant.

ie. ''a G5 can never work, so let's have a go at cramming a dual-core low power version of the G4 in & see where that takes us.''

12. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Aw man... Oh well. Still, that's pretty cool. A dual G4 portable is still pretty unique.

13. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Well, the search for the G5 Powerbook continues...

A dual core G4 sounds interesting and very possible.

14. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Yeah it sounds like it was a fallback from a G5 to make a more powerful portable before they went the intel route.

15. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

What? How did he even get one, didn't even know apple even worked on one?

16. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Read the thread before asking questions. It turned out it was a dual G4 PowerBook. Possibly an early plan-B attempt after they gave up on a G5 laptop.

17. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As has been said both in the linked thread and here, while Apple did work on a PowerBook G5 prototype (many references have been found, but nobody has publicly released any images of it,) this specific device turned out to be a "plan B" dual-CPU G4 PowerBook prototype, apparently built in the shell of what had been a PowerBook G5. (and if you follow the link, you'll see that the shell isn't much to look at. It's not a "prettified Apple design", it's a pure utilitarian box of a shell to simply hold the innards together for basic testing.)