Possible Tethering Loophole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikes63737, May 17, 2009.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm pretty sure AT&T will allow tethering with 3.0, so long as you pay the extra fee to enable tethering. They're not going to let you just get a data plan and no voice plan for the iPhone if that's what you're getting at.

3. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, I was saying that since the iPhone is considered a computer, you're already paying for a computer to access the Internet. So, you should be able to use the iPhone to tether without an additional charge.

4. ZbadhabitZ macrumors newbie

It'll never happen. AT&T is a company, just like Apple, and will charge you for anything at all. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find that, when 3.0 comes out, they implement a max number of MMS message you can send on your SMS plan (even unlimited SMS message plans will probably have a limit), and will end up charging an additional amount if you want unlimited MMS messages, too. It's smart business really; it keeps people from overloading their network as most won't pay an extra premium for a feature they don't use all that often, and those that do need it will generate more revenue. Hope I'm wrong, but if I were in their shoes, I'd do that.

The same goes for tethering. No way they will allow tethering without an additional cost. Tethering WILL bog down the network if anyone can do it, and if you're using your computer frequently by way of your phone, that 5GB cap is going to become useless pretty fast. Let them charge an extra premium so you can have unlimited data usage when tethering, and again, keep the networks semi-clear from people who won't use it unless they NEED to be paying for it.

Of course, the big picture strategy would be to fix the network altogether so MMS, Tethering, and SlingBox don't bog down the network.

5. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I highly doubt it. Every current At&t MMS compatible phone has unlimited MMS included with an unlimited SMS plan. If they made it different for the iPhone, I'm abandoning ship and getting the Storm 2. Especially after this problem.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So I read that entire thread and honestly man, if that's the worst customer service you ever receive from AT&T then you're one lucky dood.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't think so. You should really read up on how SMS and MMS really work. AT&T is going to still keep the unlimited MMS and SMS plans. Those communication methods are not even tasking or worth noticing when it comes to network usage/congestion.

As for Data, I'd say AT&T will allow unlimited data on your iPhone if you don't purchase the Tethering plan. If you do however happen to add tethering, then yes, I can see AT&T capping you at 5 GB of data. After all the iPhone is a mini computer. It has the processing power of a computer back in 1997-2000.

8. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I obviously get where you got that from, but as I said in the thread, which you apparently read, the monetary value didn't value. The fact that At&t thought of doing something like that proves how unworthy they are of any respect (at least from me).

9. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

AT&T must be using the white shirt because you found it!