Possible to buy iPhone in person Friday afternoon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Waffleroids, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Waffleroids macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone thinks its possible to walk into Verizon Friday around 6 PM and buy an iPhone 4s. Thanks for any help

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6 PM? Not likely. Not on Verizon, Apple, AT&T or even Sprint. They'll be long gone by 12 PM.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's just my opinion but its possible. I bought my iPhone 4 on the first day at an Apple store. There was a 2 hour line but nothing hideous.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nobody can say for sure what the inventory levels will be at each store
    Or the demand at each store
    All you can do is try and see

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

If you could be at the store near open, I'd think your odds are pretty good... but I would suspect near the end of the day there will be few to go around. Outside of the more expensive models.

6. Waffleroids thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, morning is no dice for me with school. So later is the only option, so in other words its possible but not likely right?

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Go saturday.

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If your looking for a 16gb one probably impossible. If you are looking for a 64gb one most likely not possible.

9. Waffleroids thread starter macrumors newbie

32gb actually haha

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Carrier stores have nothing compared to the Apple stores. Anything is possible, but I don't think you would get a phone at that time.

11. fanboy05 macrumors regular

12. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Good call... I wish him luck as well, you never know, plenty of people will "get lucky" and find themselves with a brand new iphone right off the shelf!

13. 00trayn macrumors member

If you have more than one Verizon store in the area, I'd plan to visit more than one if you need to. You might get lucky and find some in stock, the 32GB is less popular it seems than the 16 GB. But it might take more than one store. Hopefully you live in a populated area that has a few, I'm in Northern VA so I can think of several locations within reasonable driving distance. Ups your chances of finding one somewhere.

14. Waffleroids thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres a good five Verizon stores in my general area, though its suburban. So I'm hoping thats good enough. Ready to go to all of them haha

15. 00trayn macrumors member

Nice, pick the least popular one first, if that's possible. I'm preparing myself to have to go into the Apple store with an unopened phone to get Apple Care + on Friday, since Verizon wasn't selling it with the phone and neither Verizon nor Apple seems to know what to do about it. That'll be TORTURE! I want to open it!

16. spar13 macrumors newbie

I would just have all the store's numbers on hand and call them beforehand. They can't hold them for you but they can at least give you a heads-up that none are in stock.

17. joshuarobi macrumors regular

Luckily I live in the middle of nowhere that is the North Coast of CA. Doubt there is demand enough up here that there would be a line at the Verizon Store. I'm gonna drive by at 8am to see if anyone's lining up then chill at a coffee shop till it opens at 9am.

18. Waffleroids thread starter macrumors newbie

19. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I think as long as you get there before noon, you shouldn't have any problem. Between Apple stores, carrier stores, Best Buy, Walmart, and Radio Shack , there will be at least *one* phone for you if you get there sometime in the a.m.

20. boch82 macrumors 6502

Call up your local radio shack. The one by me still was taking preorders last night. Got a 32gb sprint phone for pick up Friday.

21. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

I live in Hawaii (on the island of Oahu, the most populous) so take for what's it's worth, but the only time that would've worked was for the launch of the original iPhone. After my wife saved a place for me, then after I waited a few more hours, I finally got the original iPhone! Only later did I realize that had I waited until about 8:00, I could've simply walked in to the store and purchased it.

For each successive iPhone launch, that was not the case, however. For example, my wife waited for about six hours in line for the iPhone 4 (I was at work) with my nephew, but was unable to get the iPhone. In fact, we had to put our names on the master list, each name of which was called in turn when the iPhones arrived in store. I had to wait another week after our name was put on the list before I got the call.

For an iPhone of such utter "fail" factor, the iPhone 4S is really selling off the charts. I think it will be some time before you can walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an iPhone. Keep in mind, also, that the Apple Stores get quite a bit more inventory than their partners, so even less inventory is to be had at a Verizon store. Now, if you could somehow persuade someone to wait in line for you ..... But even then, you stand the real possibility of not being able to get one that way. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

22. .paul macrumors member

.paul