Possible to get an iPod touch subforum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by shoelessone, Sep 7, 2007.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I will PM a mod about this also, but it looks like there might be a need for a Touch subforum, for a few reasons:

1. It will save all the non-touch people from having to read countless, "when will I get my touch", "iTouch vs Iphone", "Who all ordered an iTouch?", etc, threads.

2. It will allow a seperate outlet for all of the iPod Touch excitement

3. Perhaps there could be a sticky FAQ thread with various questions involving the touch such as "Does it have a glass screen?", "When will it be in retail stores?", etc

4. Already the iPhone threads have gotten bombarded with iPod Touch questions, because let's face it,

5. The iPod Touch far closer related to the iPhone than it is to any of the other iPods

Seems like (at least for now) it would be good to have a subforum dedicated to iPod Touch issues/questions/facts/discussion.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've just moved this into the Site and Forum Feedback forum so it may be seen by more people. It's an idea worth considering.

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, sorry I didn't post this here originally. I'm new here (as you can see I'm sure) so I honestly had never been to this subforum. That said, I've (sadly) wasted a good portion of my young adult life posting on forums so felt that a thread about this issue was warranted.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I like the idea for 2 reasons, the reason the OP stated and to allow those who wish to filter it out an easy way to do so.

5. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, once the Touch is actually released I'd assume the iPhone App & Dev forum will be combined to include iTouch App & Dev, simply because most topics will be relevent to both devices (plus I understand the desire to keep the developer communities from fragmenting)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, whatever. I'm not usually nice or agreeable. Don't get used to it. :p

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I like this idea too. The touch seems to be what a lot of people will be (eventually) getting.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I agree the Touch will be very different from existing iPods... but it is also very similar to the iPhone, and I wonder if somehow integrating those would make more sense.

arn

9. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree.

At some point I'm assuming you will consolidate the iPhone forums?

Could you perhaps get rid of the iPhone purchasing forum, perhaps do away with the iPhone News discussion forum (direct people to Mac Rumors Page 2?), and make the iPhone App + Dev forum "iPhone & iPod Touch Apps and Development" forum?

Also, if you plan to integrate the iPhone forums with the rest of the Apple Hardware forums, you could always have iPhone, Touch, iPod, MacBook/MBP, etc.... Then add the iPhone/Touch Developtment/App forums to the "Apple Software" area?

I don't know. But it would be awesome to have a Touch subforum :)

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The slight problem as I see it, is that now that Apple are hell-bent on diversifying their products, new lines in any division could spring up and die over any period of months... good thing we didn't have a iPod Hifi forum. ;)

Keeping things simple should be balanced with providing a suitable home for everything. The iPod Touch is still an iPod, right? And sooner or later, touch technology will spread to more devices, so having different forums for the potential touch variants seems a short-term option to me.

My thoughts, anyway.

11. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, well to be honest, in my opinion the iPod is NOT still an iPod, it's an iPhone if I was going to call it one thing or another.

references:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] :)

12. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

I'd just like to add my voice to this - a separate iPod Touch subforum would be excellent.

13. nirvana06 macrumors regular

iPod Touch forum would be nice. It needed too. iPod Touch Forum FTW! :)

14. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I'd like to add my vote for an iPod touch forum (or maybe forums). Or possibly expanding the iPhone forums to be iPhone/iPod touch forums.