Possible To Have iPhone Without Data Plan....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bowlerman625, Dec 5, 2009.

1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

or can it be removed ?

I'm trying to help friends and get this answered.....

Their HS age daughter would love an iPhone for Christmas. They (AT&T) have one for $99. They already have a family plan with AT&T with 5 lines on it. However, they don't want the $30 monthly expense of the data plan. The high schooler would primarily want it for texting, phone and the iPod part of it. They have a family unlimited text plan on their family plan. The AT&T person says there is no way to get the phone without the $30 data plan.

I thought I read here a long time ago that maybe this was possible. I do know that AT&T now requires data plans on all smartphones. However, does anyone know if this can be done or how to go about removing the data plan without a huge problem?

Any ideas or input would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

2. infosprt macrumors regular

As far as I know you have to have the data plan on the iPhone as long as you are within the two year contract committment.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nope, you'd have to buy one unlocked, which means used and much more expensive.

4. reg0later macrumors newbie

is the iphone already activated. Back in the day you can hacktivate it and not have to get the data plan

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

first off, do a search. this topic has been discussed ad nauseam. secondly, yes you can have an iphone without data.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right on target.

7. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

For the 203840923805023984th time..... why the HELL would you want an iPhone without data?! Without it, the phone is completely pointless. A touchscreen phone that makes calls? Oh, AT&T has about a dozen of those. Plus, you don't have to hack them to make them do what you want. Blah....sorry to be a jerk.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because most of the time the data i use is when i am within a wifi network

i have an iphone for the phone as well as doubling as an ipod

i do not need data everywhere

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Plenty that don't use anything except the phone and iPod touch capabilities. Some people are always in Wi-Fi (for example, me at a college campus) With all that being said, my favorite feature besides calling is web-surfing on the go. Just know that there are plenty that find the no data fine.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everyone has the right to choose what they like and what fits their needs and wants.
    Just cause you think its pointless or useless others might not.
    Glad you were not a jerk about it and didnt overgeneralize :D

11. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Well said!

12. infosprt macrumors regular

The OP mentioned they were considering buying an iPhone (I assume new or reconditioned from either Apple or AT&T). I am curious as to the plan you speak of that does not require the purchase of the $30 data plan.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You would just need an unlocked iPhone and some sim card switching.

14. infosprt macrumors regular

AT&T told me that as soon as they detect you are using an iPhone they put the $30 plan onto your account. I asked in regard to the phone being broke. The rep mentioned they would remove the data plan since the iPhone was no longer operational. But again, when it comes online the data plan charge goes back onto your account (assuming you are within the two year contract).

I guess one could get an unlocked phone and use it with another carrier but I don't think that is anywhere close to the intention of the OP.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Plenty have used the iPhone without the data plan on AT&T, most use it without a data plan.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They lied to you.
    They dont automaticly add anything to your account without your consent, they might bug you with text messages but thats about it.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

after your initial contract is up, is it easy to take the data plan off your iphone in terms of dealing with att?

ps: applejuiced.....why must you quote different than every other person here lol

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry, bad habit :D

19. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

This is true. They sent me text messages quite frequently until I relented and "agreed" to the data plan.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You didnt have to, I know plenty of people that get a message here and there and have ignored them for many months and others that never get bugged at all.

21. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yea, I know. I debated it for a few weeks until I became irritated with both my inability to check email on the go and the stupid texts. It's good, 3G now seems to be great where I'm at.

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I agree with that in principle. What I'm not sure about is whether everyone has the right to circumvent a carrier's terms and conditions to get what fits his/her needs and wants. :)

23. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You agree to a two year contract which requires you to have a data plan on your iPhone. You might be able to get away with it, but you shouldn't agree to a contract if you are not willing to abide by its terms.

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

still say like I said in the other

203840923805023984 post where this was asked get a touch and what ever phone you want problem solved. Also many schools won't allow the phone out during the day but they can use the touch. my daughter has a touch and a LG MV2 on Verizon and she is perfectly happy. if you get the $99 you will have to agree to the data plan at 1st then deal with switching it off. Get a touch you don't have to deal with it!

25. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

So... not to hijack this forum or anything, but... ;) I've got a 2G 16gig that is beyond the plan, I'm month to month. Anyways, I'm waiting till next summer for the next iPhone update to upgrade.

My wife then wants my iPhone, not for the data but for the games, calendar, contacts etc... She want's me to delete all the data apps. I could take the sim out of her current phone (moto razer) and put it in my old iPhone and not have to carry two data plans, right?

Thanks!

Coachingguy