Possible to Jailbreak/unlock iphone 3g 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmelick07, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jmelick07 macrumors member

Flame me all you want but I searched and according to iclariffied it seems possible but I can't get it to work correctly, but is it possible?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its possible.
    But to make things simpler just downgrade it back to 4.0 and then user redsnow to JB and ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.
    Welcome.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just go back down to OS 4.0.0, after that use redsn0w and then use ultrasn0w to acheive your goal.

4. giffut macrumors 6502

You ...

... don´t need to go back to iOS4.0.0, completely unnecessary.

Just update/restore your iPhone 3G to iOS4.0.1 via itunes, then use the latest Redsn0w to jailbreak (v.0.9.5b5-5). Choose the iOS4.0.0 firmware for this, and be happy (the iOS4.0.1 image won´t work - it´s like with 3.1.3, where you pointed to the 3.1.2 file instead). The whole process takes hardly minutes and is troublefree - never had any with Redsn0w.

To regain speed for your 3G running wallpapers and multitasking, install iMemory and delete launchd daemons and unused language packs.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not sure why you would want the performance hit of OS4 and Jailbreaking on a 3G.

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nebo1ss
    Ultrasnow works to unlock all versions of the baseband that is presently available for the 3G. You get your jailbreak by using a Custom IPSW for IOS4 as outlined on redmond pie and also elsewhere on this board. This will not work with a 3GS on new bootrom but it does work on the 3G and the 3GS old bootrom. As far as creating a custom IPSW for 4.0.1 not aware that it has been done yet.
    This worked for me. My 3G had 4.0.1 but i made a custom ipsw with 4.0 and restored it with that. To my surprise and downgraded to it and worked no problem. Ultrasn0w 9.3 then unlocked it, thanks!

7. giffut macrumors 6502

For ...

... the 3G you need no custom iOS4.0 IPSW, just grab the original Apple one from the many sources you can google. Then get the redsn0w beta and jailbreak. After this run Cydia and install ultrasn0w, that's it, really.

8. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Is there any news on if and when this will work? I'm trying to jailbreak my 3G, but cannot because of this.

9. giffut macrumors 6502

This ...

... already works without any problems, but just with iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. Any newer iPhone or iPod Touch can´t be jailbreaked with iOS4 at the moment. The community is waiting in pain for this to happen.

10. giffut macrumors 6502

I ...

... want to specify my experiences with iOS4 on iPhone 3G:

- Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta is absolutely smooth

- I would no longer recommend iMemory, as it only provides additional memory capacity for a short time. When the caching sets in, it locks up unpredictabily in intervalls for about 5 to 20sec.

- It helps a lot to avoid background wallpapers

- Install "Backgrounder" via Cydia and adapt its preferences to disable all native backgrounding. As a result you can use the Apple app switcher for a most recent list opf apps and decide individually which app you want to background

Overall this makes the iPhone 3G quite usable with iOS4, it´s almost as fast as with 3.1.3, but you gain significant update and future compatibility.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Turn off Spotlight searches which stops the indexing and speeds up the 3G

12. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

I don't have a 4.0 IPSW. I guess I deleted it for whatever reason back when it came out. I only have a 4.0.1 IPSW. redsn0w isn't working with it.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iTunes deleted it when you downloaded/updated to 4.0.1

Why not just re-download the 4.0 IPSW

You have to point Redsn0w at the 4.0 IPSW anyway

Sounds like you should go to iClarified and get a tutorial.

14. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

How do I re-download the 4.0 IPSW? Yeah a tutorial would help. haha

15. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I have gotten this to work, I currently have a iOS4.0.1 Firmware Jailbroken iPhone 3G with Multitaskng and Background wallpaper.

I am currently getting rid of the native multitasking because in my opinion unless you constantly delete the apps you do not want to run in the background after you exit them, your battery sucks, and in all honestly, I can deal without it.

The way I jailbroke was mentioned before.

I used the latest redsn0w which was 0.9.5b5-5 and pointed it to the 4.0 software instead of the 4.0.1 software because it automatically unrecogonizes it.

Make sure your iPhone is 4.0.1 Firmware through iTunes though

and then you go and run through Redsn0w doing what it tells you to do.

To get the ISPW I go to http://google.com and then google Felix Bruns and then the first one are the downloads for ispw files.

16. giffut macrumors 6502

You ...

... don´t need to get rid of native multitasking, if you use "Backgrounder" to set preferences to allow multitasking only by user choice. You decide, when it´s happening. You even can decide whether it shall use the native or backgrounder based method.

For me this gave me the best of both worlds, as I now have a "most recent" listing when calling the multitasking dock, but can pinpoint multitasking to any app of choice.

For the 3G iPhones this means a tremendous saving on memory and therefore speed.

17. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

My problem is I don't have the 4.0 software on my Mac. I can't find it. I'm not sure how to switch back to 4.0 on iTunes either.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

19. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Okay, well after you download the software, you dont need to downgrade, you just back up all your files and hit Restore, iTunes will automatically restore you to 4.0.1 and then go to the above link in Applejuiced's message and download the 4.0 firmware and when using redsn0w 9.5b5-5 make sure you point it to the location of the 4.0 software and then run through redsn0w like you normally would.

20. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

21. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Under "Changes" in Cydia it's asking me to upgrade UlKit Tools. Do I need to do this? What does it do?

Also, what are some must have programs or apps to get from Cydia? Sorry for asking so many questions.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should do the recommended cydia updates.
    And thats one of them.
    About cydia apps and packages search for favorite jb apps. You will find tons of threads, info and details of programs and what they do.

23. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Okay, thank you!