possible to run more than one app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Techexp2, May 3, 2016.

1. Techexp2 macrumors member

Hi,

Is it possible to run more than one app at the same time(iPad) ?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

With the newer iPads you can run apps in slide over or split screen mode. The latter has two apps side by side on the screen, the former has the second application hover or float above the first - you can't interact with them at the same time, unlike split screen.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, there's just one split screen mode, but you can have the second screen take only a quarter of the screen, or half the screen. In either case, you can immediately switch between the two apps by tapping on them.

There's also picture-in-picture mode for videos.

Then there are some app processes that can run in the background. Like music will keep playing even if you switch to another app, and some apps can update data while in the background, and stuff like that.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I really wish split screen mode would allow multiple instances of the same program though.

5. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

Yes I was just thinking about that too, this is perhaps the only reason I haven't upgraded to the iPad Pro yet

6. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Without a jailbreak (where you can open as many as you want in their own little windows, until your RAM runs out), you can only use split-screen apps, as others have mentioned.

Hopefully this is something that will come to iOS 10.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I can't wait to find out what will be included in iOS 10 - hopefully a lot more than some of the rumors that are floating around.

8. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Same. I don't think Apple can risk only adding small, incremental features to their yearly iOS releases anymore.

9. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, and drag and drop between documents too, e.g., Have 2 Word documents open in split screen, highlight text on one and drag it over to the other with your finger or the Pencil.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This may be just me, but highlight, tap copy, then tap the other document and tap paste seems faster and more reliable to me. Whenever I try to drag something, I tend to let go before I intended to, ending up pasting it somewhere I didn't intend, or having to restart the action from the beginning.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That would be great as cutting and pasting between 2 documents is something I regularly do on my iMac and MBA.

12. Techexp2 thread starter macrumors member

13. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I would think(and hope), that this has to be a major new feature of iOS 10- to be able to interact with both apps in multitasking side by side, instead of only one, as it is currently. Also, to be able to arrange the apps available in the multi-tasking pane to your liking, and eliminate ones that you do not want to see at all.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

You can do that on iPads with 2gb of ram.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

no, you can only interact with one of the apps at a time, not both simultaneously.
    Also, you can't remove apps that are able to be selected from he list of apps available for multi-tasking.

16. Skika macrumors 68030

Ok, im writing this post on my ipad pro, safari running on the right and youtube on the left both fully interactable at the same time, so hows that?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps you are thinking of slide-over rather than side-by-side?

18. Skika, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

Skika macrumors 68030

Maybe he doesnt know he can further expand the view when in Slide over to enter Side by side mode.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But can't you interact with an app, even in slide over mode? I'm pretty sure I can keep iMessage open in slide over and type in it

20. Skika, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

Skika macrumors 68030

You can interact one app at a time with slide over, in side by side you can interact with both at the same time, basically you are running two apps at once fully. When you are using iMessage in slide over the other app is suspended, if you want to interact with it Messages dissapear, this is not true for Side by side.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't have my iPad with me at the moment so I can't check, but I don't think slide over disappears if I touch the main app. I'll check and report back once I get home.

22. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

[​IMG]
    There are multiple modes: Trying to interact with Safari on the first (left) iPad will close Twitter because Slide Over only allows a single app to have focus. Continuing to drag the Slide Over-app into Split Screen will allow them both to keep focus, meaning you can interact with Safari or Maps without the other closing.

23. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

But you can slide the right window back a bit after making it 50/50 size and have it 1/3rd size and neither suspended. Both live at once. This is how I prefer using split screen usually.

:) It's like having an iPad with a really tall iPhone 6+ stuck to the side.

image.png

24. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I think it's important to note, just for clarity since it is a little confusing: Even in the 1/3, 2/3 sizing, you are in Split Screen mode. Only when you get the faded background app with a 1/3-only foreground app are you in "Slide Over".

The terminology is kind of silly when you break it down :p

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes! That's what I was doing. And I just got home and tried this on my 12.9 iPP, and you don't have to drag it to 50/50 first. Just drag it to the 1/3 position, and hold your finger there until both apps become active.