possible with iPhone SkypeOut?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueflame, Mar 16, 2008.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

First off, let me say I consider my self quite knowladgeable about the iphone and usually do not have problems figuring these things out. however, I am not a programmer and I do know know the particular limitations that would come from trying to set something up like this.

Apple said that they would not prohibit the use of VOIP except over cell network, so I assume wifi is up in the air.

so here is my question:

Can something like skype be made, when I can just make phone calls for free and receive them for free with my SKYPE UNLIMITED plan?

part 2:
    could there be some sort of program written, like a toggle switch, so when using the wifi skype, all incoming regular calls gets forwarded, when using edge networks, all your skypeIN numbers get forwarded.

I imagine it to look something like the wifi on wifi off switch.

anyway, I am curious with the coming release of 2.0 will something like this be feasible?

thanks for getting through my ramblings
    A

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well this is something new, a Demi-God asking help. Anywho that's not the point.

Skype is the only one that can make a native SDK app that has access to their files and skype system.

Some rumors have it that Skype might not create an iPhone app.

== However, theoritically speaking, if Skype does make an iPhone app, of coarse it will support all Skype features over Wi-Fi==

my $0.02

3. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hmm.

skype does currently support the iphone over the web. it uses some other type of protocol however where it essentially initiates a conference call. this seems slow and repetitive. is this sort of thing technically feasible with the iphone, or is it actually limited by hardware?
    thanks!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In order for Skype to function, it needs to run in background in some sense [even if such process is minute], whether its on EDGE (to seek out Wi-Fi) or when in Wi-Fi (to be running in case someone calls).

However, as announced 3rd party apps can't run in the background. So I don't see how Skype can pull this off, if they ever do. But, hey, the sky is the limit according to Steve when writing up apps for the iPhone. It's going to be interesting seeing how Skype can manage to write up something.