(Possibly Assinine) Apple Store Policy: One Swipe Only

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Jul 8, 2007.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

:mad: If your credit card is denied, screw you: no purchase today. :mad:

Apple lost out on an 80gb iPod sale with AppleCare, and a hard-shell case from Marware (the Sidewinder). Total w/tax = $465 (approx).

Paid for something else with cash, and although my sales guy was nice about it, his boss was a tad snotty. My guess is he didn't like the idiotic policies of "one swipe of card; if it doesn't take, no purchase today" that different companies recognize as a glitch in the swiping mechanism -- and pass the card through again.

Is Apple trying to protect themselves from fraud, or the custormer from unscupulous salesfolk?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Denied and swiping again are two very different things. Sometimes the machine doesn't recognize the card, but if it is denied and you swipe again, it will only be denied again. If I recall correctly, businesses have to pay (albeit a small amount) every time they do a credit card transaction and it probably applies to denials as well. If you just wasted them $1, why would they want to waste another one for the same result?

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Did they refuse to allow you to try a different credit card after the first one was rejected, or did they refuse to swipe the same card twice?

I was a cashier for two years when I was younger, and if a credit card was rejected on the first swipe I never saw a single instance of it being accepted on the second (or third, or seventh..... grr I hate customers).

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You said denied so I doubt it'd go through a second time.
    I know on my debit card I carry a $750 a day limit. I can spend $750 today and not be able to spend $750 tomorrow though because it goes from 2 p.m. PST to 2 p.m. PST. Also, it depends on how fast the previous charges drop. When I travel this is always an issue which is why I carry one credit card for those times when the debit card is declined.

But if it said denied then why wouldn't they let you pick another card?

5. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Have only one card; denied a second swipe of the first card.

Never saw a single instance? How long ago was this, and did you work at the place more than a few days?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but most stores today DO swipe more than a few times if the blasted thing doesn't "take". They clear the machine and try again.

For the record, Apple's online store has no problem with my card being valid.

6. Turkish macrumors 6502

If your card was declined, there would be no reason to try it again. A different card, perhaps, but not the same one. I also have never had a declined card suddenly get accepted just by trying again.

The online store is different. It puts a "feeler" out for the funds, not a full authorization - that happens when your items ship.

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Only if it wasn't "Denied". Yes, sometimes it doesn't "take", but that is not being denied.

I've had problems with my card being denied at one place and fine somewhere else.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I had my card denied at an Apple Store about three years ago when I was purchasing an iBook. I knew the card was valid, so the sales associate handed me the store phone so that I could call the company. After confirming with the credit card company that it was a fraud prevention measure and having them lift the hold on the account, the Apple rep was able to swipe again and process as usual.

9. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

They wouldn't let me do that. Wouldn't be anyone around on a Sunday anyway.

Was Apple blocking the card or was your card company?

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My cards are always getting bent/scuffed. Put it in a plastic bag, then swipe it. It fixes a defective card about 75% of the time.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was in Boots a while ago trying to buy a £3 Meal Deal, and my card was refused. To this day I still don't know why, I had over £200 and it hadn't been used in weeks. They tried twice and nothing. Had to get Caroline to buy it for me :eek:

I'll say glitch.

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Sometimes the oh-so-helpful cashiers enter the wrong auth code therefore denying your transaction.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It was my card company. And most credit card companies have 24/7 customer service. Just call the number on the back of the card and ask why your transaction was denied.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My credit union doesn't. They have a 24 hour stolen card line to call, but for regular stuff you have to wait until a business day and business hours.

15. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

For some reason Best Buy's reader never takes either of my two major credit cards. Just says its denied. But I know I don't reach the daily spending limit and that there are funds, so I make them enter it manually. I talk to the manager now, because he is genuinely curious as to why it always denies my cards- full on denial, without even calling out from the register. It instantly denies the card as fast as you can pull it through the swipe. No the cards aren't fake, and it was Chase Manhattan that told us to key it in.

Did they not offer to manually key in the numbers and take an imprint?

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good point...I don't deal with credit unions, so I'm not familiar with their customer service offerings. I'll edit my post.

I'd probably call the stolen card line and say that your card was declined and you're worried that the number may have been compromised. I'd be willing to bet they could get you the information you need and free up the block on the transaction.

17. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

No. No further processing allowed for the day by the manager.

Called the customer service line for the bank and they said the transaction didn't even register -- meaning the store has a problem with their swiper.

18. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

That's highly correct. The same thing happens at Best Buy. The bank never even gets the inquiry.

Tell the manager he's a douche. :D

19. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Hmm.. last time I bought something at the Apple store, my card was 'denied' (that's what the cashier said), and he let me try it again. I think it just didn't read it the first time. It's strange that they wouldn't let you try again, though. The grocery store that I work for allows people to try again (even though it says 'DENIED', not 'ERROR')... though it never works the second time as it is usually the insufficient funds error code.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That is the problem with some credit cards. All Visa and MC are tied to the institution that you get them through. Credit unions tend to have the most limited hours for customer service.

While I have Visa and MC credit cards, my favorite is American Express. They have decent 24/7 customer support service and have good exchange rates. Also, they are quick on the possible credit fraud alerts.

21. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

The salesguy and manager said it was Official :apple: Apple :apple: Policy not to allow a second swipe.

Someone online elsewhere suggested the card could be bad if it is heavily used -- only that mine is but weeks old, and mostly for online transactions.

Oh, well. :(

Will take it into the bank to see if something is wrong with it.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've seen cards in absolutely horrendous condition still swipe, so I doubt that's it, unless you keep a magnet in your wallet.

23. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Affixing a piece of tape or two to the stripe will achieve the same effect.

24. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

UPDATE:

Bank said card was fine -- no worries! :cool:

Card now accepted via a roving salesguy's portable swiper; weekend people also replaced by far friendlier weekday salesforce. :)

Me and my shiny black iPod are very happy. :cool: