Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've had them show up on the watch in 10-20 seconds

Hmm. Something is wrong. I made a "Watch" album last night, synced it in the Watch app on my phone, and still today my watch is only showing a photo that is not in that Watch app. Even rebooted the watch. Didn't reboot the phone, will try that next. Hoping not to have to unpair, since I don't want to have to reload my Apple Pay cards...

66Mustang

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Hmm. Something is wrong. I made a "Watch" album last night, synced it in the Watch app on my phone, and still today my watch is only showing a photo that is not in that Watch app. Even rebooted the watch. Didn't reboot the phone, will try that next. Hoping not to have to unpair, since I don't want to have to reload my Apple Pay cards...

Try going into the Photos app from your watch (assuming your going straight to the photo watch face instead), this always triggers the sync process for me after I add new pictures I want to use.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
My wife and son.
This is one of my favourites at the moment, added a vignette effect to blend it into the bezel.
IMG_1132.jpg

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Try going into the Photos app from your watch (assuming your going straight to the photo watch face instead), this always triggers the sync process for me after I add new pictures I want to use.

Unfortunately, that has not helped, nor did the phone reboot. :(

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Yes, this is how I do it, I make my watch faces from the photos app on the phone, should have made that clear.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
what would you prefer to watchOS2? Native apps or analog watch face with transparent background?

Really!? Apple can either develop a custom framework for allowing developers to access the proprietary resources of Watch OS code to run applications natively on the watch, OR they can put wallpaper behind an analogue watch face, but they can't do both? Wow Samsung and Android are looking better all the time.

Apple is a a trillion dollar company. I'm not buying that they have so few resources that they can't have a team dedicated to watch faces, especially when the potential for custom watch faces to become as a big an income revenue stream as the watch bands, and apps themselves. You can give Apple the benefit of the doubt, but until proven wrong, it seems pretty clear to me Apple realized the income potential of custom watch faces and made a decision early on to hold back that particular aspect of the watch until they could leverage it properly with intellectual property owners to start, and maximize brand partnerships as they have done with Hermes. You may recall that Apple made the deal with Hermes over a year ago, before the watch was even announced. Not to mention, Time Lapse and Custom Photos were announced over a year ago as well, but we're only now just getting them. So they have clearly put some thought into this. When it suits their goals, Apple is capable of pouring vast resources into anything they chose to accomplish, as proven time and time again.

Last edited:

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
That looks classy and great. Did you use an iOS app to create the vignette, or Photoshop? I'd like to get a nice iOS workflow for making watchfaces with vignettes.
Thanks!
Yes I used an app called Photo Editor by Axiem Systems to flip the image horizontally and add the vignette.
Would be great to have a dedicated watch face photo editor app though!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Thanks!
Yes I used an app called Photo Editor by Axiem Systems to flip the image horizontally and add the vignette.
Would be great to have a dedicated watch face photo editor app though!
I agree. I'll bet Apple will eventually add this functionality into Photos.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Of course they had a reason. But try as I might, there's no good one I can come up with that allows them put a photo behind a numeric display, but not behind an analogue clock representation, except to prevent the user from customizing that type of watch face. I would have even accepted the same kinds of limitations as with the numeric display, allowing the hands and hash marks maybe, but no complications yet. There are arguments to be made as to why they aren't allowing these kinds of things from a technical perspective. But if they can put a picture behind numbers, they can put a picture behind a set of watch hands with equal ease, there's nothing about doing the one that would make it any more frustrating to the end user for the other. They simply wanted to limit choice at this juncture.

It must be about processing power and battery life. Hands are moving graphic elements, which would require an alpha mask over a photo. The digital face is just text. There's also a legibility concern. A complex photo with light and dark areas would be tricky to read with all white or all black hands moving around it, which would mean the hands need a drop shadow, and more processing power to render it.

Reactions: AppleKarma

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
This needs to happen!

we3aamz.jpg
I have to agree with this and I don't understand why Apple hasn't released watch faces through the store. Do they realize how much money they could make if they hold the monopoly on watch faces charging 99 cents for each?

Also, if you can move apps around in the Apple Watch app, they could let us move things around with a custom watch face design. Saves all lawsuits since we design it. Must be a limitation?

I do believe this is coming.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.