Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danaeckel

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
Beige G3(G4 upgrade) OldWorld Mac with 768MB, Radeon Mac Edition, and EIDE -133 card.
327541827_1174703196487617_2405773977060532473_n.jpg
327437590_5897648966980485_6863033014191009428_n.jpg

comeback

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
I install Windows 11 to Paralles, but some app raise dialog "app not run on virtual machine" so I quit.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
Schermafdruk_2023-03-13_10-22-55.png

This is Devuan's default look with XFCE. I installed it on a USB 2.0 flash stick like you normally install it on an SSD/eMMC/HDD, I mean it's a permanent install and not a 'live' desktop. It's really nice that the system boots up completely in 28 seconds from a very slow USB 2.0 interface which is (very) limited in terms of IOPS and read/write performance. In the browser, performance is usually the same as with SSDs because most things are loaded into RAM.

Devuan is a system that focuses on stability, so you have old software. Firefox and Chromium perform much lower than in FreeBSD mainly because the software versions in FreeBSD are much more recent, but FreeBSD is probably still slightly faster even with the same software versions. Eg the Chromium version of Devuan performs lower in Speedometer than Chromium on FreeBSD. This problem is easily solved by eg installing Brave on Devuan which performs largely similar to Brave on FreeBSD via the LInux emulation layer (or Clear Linux). So all in all, Devuan is one of the best Linux systems you can install on old USB 2.0 sticks. When I remove the USB 2.0 stick from my PC, FreeBSD just boots up. This is handy because configuring dual-boot with FreeBSD is not always easy.

There are many people who say that the installation is a challenge: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ratings&distro=devuan
The installation process is confusing and intimidating. Moreover, it is one of the most confusing installation process I've ever seen. I say this with over 15 years experience working with Linux and trying at least a dozen distros including Arch, Debian, Ubuntu and hybrids. Recommend the development team revisit the installation process while keeping in mind a user might be a beginner or intermediate level user. It is my opinion the current installation process is definitely not for a beginner. It might be fine for someone who does not have any operating system installed on their computer but otherwise I recommend a non-advanced user to avoid.

I had no problem installing it, everything worked perfectly after the first install attempt. But I've actually never had any problems installing and configuring DragonFly BSD, NetBSD, and other systems. I would say the difficulty of the installation is exaggerated. Once installed it is as easy as using Debian.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
This isn't gonna be a permanent thing, just a stopgap. I'm not as fond of Fedora now as I used to be, with it needing constant attention and finding firsthand some bugs that have gone unpatched since they were first reported 10 years ago, and certainly not as fond of amd64. But it works for me for now.​
1679120705189.png

Last edited:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
..but it is lubuntu..sorry but I'm on a iPad mini and Tis a bit tricky to see. How's that OS working for you? I've an iMac 5,1 so interested to know your experiences..

Alexis Trinquet

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2020
Gouvieux, France
So far even though it's an old install (originally was 18.04), it's relatively snappy and I haven't ran into quirky things (yet), considering that this install was made on a older PC (I sort of forgot about that SSD when I put it in the iMac...) I'm a bit surprised it didn't throw a kernel panic because of the different hardware. :)

Only complaint I got though, while it's not visible in my screenshots, LXQt seems to eat a bit more RAM while idling than Lxde did on 18.04, so if you can, upgrade the RAM to the maximum your machine can support. (although since I have a 2008 machine, I had to spend a lot for a 4+2GB DDR2 SODIMM kit... ouch)

Though your mileage may vary, as I said it's an existing install of 18.04 that I upgraded to 22.04, there may be things that differ between mine and another install.

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
So far even though it's an old install (originally was 18.04), it's relatively snappy and I haven't ran into quirky things (yet), considering that this install was made on a older PC (I sort of forgot about that SSD when I put it in the iMac...) I'm a bit surprised it didn't throw a kernel panic because of the different hardware. :)

Only complaint I got though, while it's not visible in my screenshots, LXQt seems to eat a bit more RAM while idling than Lxde did on 18.04, so if you can, upgrade the RAM to the maximum your machine can support. (although since I have a 2008 machine, I had to spend a lot for a 4+2GB DDR2 SODIMM kit... ouch)

Though your mileage may vary, as I said it's an existing install of 18.04 that I upgraded to 22.04, there may be things that differ between mine and another install.
Ta..I've got Mavericks running off an external SSD. The ram factor is a bit quirky ..can only have 3GBS even though four can be installed..but DDR isn't very obtainable locally

Alexis Trinquet

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2020
Gouvieux, France
I take it you have one of those Late 2006 iMacs? I read somewhat about these "Memory Overlap" issues that these have if you put 4GB of RAM. That's a real pity considering that the chipset can support 4GB.

And it looks like the 2008 iMacs also have a similar problem, they can take 2x4GB of DDR2 SO-DIMM but they can only address 6GB.. Leaving 2 unused..

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I take it you have one of those Late 2006 iMacs? I read somewhat about these "Memory Overlap" issues that these have if you put 4GB of RAM. That's a real pity considering that the chipset can support 4GB.

And it looks like the 2008 iMacs also have a similar problem, they can take 2x4GB of DDR2 SO-DIMM but they can only address 6GB.. Leaving 2 unused..
Yep..2007 iMac 17 inch 5,1..and a 2009 21 inch iMac 10,1.
I have graphics issues with both of them when using Linux, but last month discovered 'antiX' Linux has a boot up menu where I can do ''xorg=safe", and with 'Haiku' found I can remove the # from the fail safe setting in a configure file ..so can fix that prob

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
LXQt seems to eat a bit more RAM while idling than Lxde did on 18.04, so if you can, upgrade the RAM to the maximum your machine can support. (a
bspwm + Polybar is lighter and more productive than LXQT, but you must have the skills and time to configure it how you want it.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Yael - I'm puzzled over the colour palette in neofetch. It's different ..not the usual two tone colours?? I mean there's usually a top row of dark colour then a bottom row of light colour.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
Yael - I'm puzzled over the colour palette in neofetch. It's different ..not the usual two tone colours?? I mean there's usually a top row of dark colour then a bottom row of light colour.
Typically, terminal apps in Unix-like systems use 16 colors. Depending on the terminal you use, you can easily adjust the colors via a GUI or via a configuration file.

Many apps such as Emacs for example can display 256 colors in Unix terminals and you can adjust those colors as you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.