Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Mine is actually much lower than what I would've thought with Pandora and ESPN Radio. :confused:

Same with me. But there's a setting in Pandora that can let you choose between higher quality audio or not and that uses more data. I've been using the lesser quality and it seems just fine, maybe that's why the data usage isn't as high as I thought it would be.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
From looking at my data usage chart, I have never gone above 400mb. However, I am going on 2 road trips within the next month where I'll be using the TomTom app to navigate. So before I make a decision on the data plan, I'm going to see how much the TomTom app uses, so I don't shoot myself in the foot. But more than likely, I will downgrade to the 2GB cap for $25/month and put $5 in my pocket.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
In addition to posting the usage graphs, can you post how you use your data? I think 200mb will be just fine for me, but I'd like to get a realistic idea how much that is.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
I was curious, though I am not on AT&T yet. I am planning on getting an iPhone, and wanted to see what calling plan I can get away with. I called my carrier, Cincinnati Bell, to see how much data I use a month.

I am a business person, and I do upload images to my site, to social networks, blog, send up video and actually waste time (sometimes) with idle pursuits with my cell phone. I would call myself a moderate user of data, and I run an internet business. Here are the stats:

April 2010-13.8 megs
May 2010-8.65 megs

YMMV.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
From looking at my data usage chart, I have never gone above 400mb. However, I am going on 2 road trips within the next month where I'll be using the TomTom app to navigate. So before I make a decision on the data plan, I'm going to see how much the TomTom app uses, so I don't shoot myself in the foot. But more than likely, I will downgrade to the 2GB cap for $25/month and put $5 in my pocket.

The tomtom nav app doesn't use data for maps. They are stored on your phone.

andrewfrank

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Aurora, Ohio
hi everyone. I plan on getting my first iPhone when the new one comes out (hopefully it's available on monday!). i have some questions for you about your graphs seeing as I will need to decide which plan i will be buying.

1. are all of these graphs that you people are posting your 3G/EDGE data only, or is it 3G/EDGE+wifi data? AT&T can't charge you for wifi, right?

2. I was planning on getting one of the GPS apps, but if they suck up data, I obviously won't be using it. does anyone have an estimate of how much bandwidth GPS actually uses?

I think AT&T is making a bad move by choosing the 200MB mark to be its lower cap. They have stated the average iPhone user uses approximately 273 MB of data a month. Don't you think it makes more sense to have a higher lower cap rather than making millions of people reserve 2 GB of bandwidth a month that they won't ever come close to using?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Back in February, I used more than 2GB and that was when I was using my XM app over an hour every day just to see how much data I could use on 3G. Last month, I used over 1GB.

I'll still keep my unlimited data plan. Sorry, too lazy to post a graph.

SDRacerR1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Here is mine...Since March, lots of MLB.tv games...

Attachments

• Chart.png
    Chart.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 171

cobie454

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Dallas
My data usage was shockingly low, i thought it would be higher cuz i'm constantly on my iPhone but i've never been even come close to 2GB, i'm thinkin about switching now

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
I seem to average around 300MB/month and peaked at 550MB once back in November (not exactly sure why). My wife averages 20MB/month and peaked at 55MB once. I think we'll definitely lower her plan to the 200MB cap and save $15/month, but for $5 I can't see lowering mine because the unlimited option will be gone forever. Who knows when some great bandwidth hogging app will come out that will push my usage way up! ;)

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
Here's my usage. Not sure what was behind the two or three higher months, especially since one of the lower months corresponds with travel ... that just seems backwards. I can't recall using data any differently over the months, so I can't make sense of the differences.

I'm not sure what I'll do in relation to the new plans. I desperately want tethering both for travel purposes and because Time Warner / Roadrunner Internet is, shall we say, "subject to interruption," and I'd REALLY like to be able to continue with my work during their times of issues.

Bad as I want tethering, I'm afraid that the use of tethering will give me need for the unlimited plan that I just gave up (undoubtably part of AT&T's scheme) and I won't be able to really use the tethering as I need. The dawn of video chat and other future data-hungry possibilities also makes me wary to give up my unlimited data even though I don't use that much now. I don't yet know what I'll do.

Attachments

• Data Usage.png
    Data Usage.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 88

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
By the way, any info that a current tetherer can provide would be greatly appreciated. Anything like "an hour of average/intense/whatever tethering for me appears to use xx data" would be quite helpful! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.