Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Annapolis, MD (DC Metro area) - good coverage, but AT&T's call quality has always been crap since day one for me. There are a few places in town where I'll show only one bar and one or two where coverage goes away completely. I miss Verizon's excellent call quality and coverage, but am willing to put up with it to use the device.

iRich1G

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
The Nasty Apple, Taxachusetts
The Berkshires, MASS, service is good except for a few blind spots in the mountains. Definately improved since a few years back when it was Cingular. HOWEVER, in a newspaper article that ran February AT&T claimed my area would be getting 3G in the beginning of Spring. It's now mid June, still no 3G, and now the story changes to by the end of this year we will have this technology.:rolleyes:

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
Philly & Burbs - Great
NYC/Brooklyn/Queens - Good
Tampa/Clearwater - Great
Vegas - Great
Columbus(OH) - Great
Dallas/San Antonio - Great
LA/SF/SD - Great

:cool:

StoneGaijin

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) MN

5 bar 3G and no dropped calls, never had a service problem.

I've been with AT&T for many many years though, Back when they were AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T again :)

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Chicago.....mostly everywhere is good, especially my area 60631

very bad area? 60645 very well known around chicago as a major cellular dump for every carrier BUT us cellular.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
All over SoCal here.

Coverage is terrible. I can travel not even 50 feet on a road and have no geographical changes or buildings or trees in the way and the signal will go from 5 bars to no service. My old home cordless phone can get better range than that.

Constant network switches to GPRS from EDGE.

Text messages don't always go through.

Did I mention the bad coverage?

Surprisingly, I've only ever had dropped calls when talking to Verizon customers. And seeing as how I had endless dropped calls when I was a Verizon customer, I'll chalk that up to it being on their end.

But AT&T's coverage and pricing is awful. My contract is up in just a little over 2 months. As much as I'd like to have the iPhone 3G S there is no way I'm sticking with AT&T beyond the end of August. I will literally be setting up new service the day my contract is over.

iTouchIt

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
NYC - Okay voice, crap 3G. Speeds hover around 100kbps, and that's if you don't get bumped down to EDGE. Any neighborhood with a generally younger demographic is a total crapshoot.

WTH does anyones age have to do with your cellphone coverage?!?

:rolleyes:

iTouchIt

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) MN

5 bar 3G and no dropped calls, never had a service problem.

I've been with AT&T for many many years though, Back when they were AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T again :)

This is like music to my ears!

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA. For the most part it is excellent. There can be some areas like the end of the peninsula in Point Loma/Ocean Beach area that can be patchy. For the most part 3G is great.

rj5620

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
North of Cincinnati, poor reception, dropped calls. Sprint is also poor, most folks have VZN.

Zerase

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New York
Syracuse and Utica NY - ATT is great. Verizon never got reception on my college campus for some reason.. but ATT did =D T Mobile sucks and Sprint is getting there..

RumorHasIt....

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Real Good!

The Twin Cities has decent coverage, just not in any Target store in the metro or at the Audi dealership, no coverage at all!!

I beg to differ. I live in Minneapolis and the coverage is very good. Also, my iPhone works in all Targets that I have been in (Southdale, Knollwood, Southtown, etc...). As for Audi dealerships, I have no idea.

One thing to mention, I have the 1st gen iPhone. In August, I will upgrade to the 3GS.

iluvgr8tdeals

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, gr8t! I also travel a lot, so...

In Philadelphia, the burbs and most of Delaware & South & Central Jersey, service is (Stewie) eeexxxxxceeellent! I think service has really improved. Before, there was a dead zone at a spot on the 'blue route (Philly & burbs residents know that route I-476) before joining I-76, you would always tell people about the impending disconnection, not any more on 3G! In NY, downtown is alright, midtown & uptown is okay. Keeps changing from 3G to Edge, which may lead to dropped calls.

Baltimore & DC/Maryland/Virginia burbs, very good. Saw 4 bars only once. Was using Iphone gps, so I know.

Raleigh, and Charlotte NC, very good. Thought it would not be good for some reason.

Boston, Worcester, MA, excellent. Most of Connecticut, Rhode Island (Providence), very good!

However, Dallas, Houston, Austin & San Antonio has probably the most impeccable service. I never saw 4 bars, always 5 bars! Only while driving from either Dallas to Houston or Dallas to San Antonio does the service change from 3G to Edge in between the two cities respectively, but you are in rural Texas!

California, San Fransisco, excellent, LA, okay, Perfect in San Diego!

Las Vegas, 5 bars. I have driven from San Diego to Las Vegas, and the coverage was much better than I expected, no dropped calls whatsoever while crossing the desert!

Chicago, very good, even during the dead of winter when the wind is howling!

Seattle, okay. Most of my pals have T-Mobile there, but I had 4 or 5 bars mostly. Even with 1 bar, no dropped calls.

Kansas City, MO. Not bad. Everybody has Sprint there, no idea why!

I have been with AT&T since it was AT&T, went to Cingular, then to AT&T. Service has improved, cannot really remember the last time I had a dropped call...

AT&T gets a lot of flack, so I think they deserve some praise! Just ask T-Mobile customers in the Bay Area. 0 Bars on Edge in many areas!

Hope this helps!

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I live in Rochester, MN and get fantastic 3g service. I get 5 bars sitting in my living room.

I have never dropped a call even in the small town where I work that is on edge.

Just always works.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.