Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Still have not settled on a background for the HDTV. But this will do for now.

Note that this image was part of a Photoshop montage I made back when six displays were connected to either my G4 or my G5 (can't recall which). It would have been cut up for that, whereas this is the image without editing.

2021-09-16 20.45.33.jpg

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Incidentally, what stands are you using to turn your two Apple Cinema Displays vertical like that? I just got two of those older displays for free and was trying to figure out how you did that...

Thanks!

:)
I am using the original stands. What I did was simply remove them from the hinge, turn them and then ran some thick string through the hinge and the hole on the back of the display. Then I just tightened it down and made a few knots. I was going to use wire, but I discovered that the wire I got was too thick to fit through the holes on the back of the display.

The string is simply there to prevent the monitor from falling forward. It isn't strictly necessary as the displays are leaned back at an angle. But if you have small kids or a high traffic environment (or bump the desk/table a lot) having something that keeps the actual display connected to the hinge (and thus the stand) is peace of mind.

Here's a thread I made on it: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vertical-cinema-displays.2290718/ Note that I borrowed this from another forum member here, who has since disappeared.

2021-09-18 08.59.10.jpg
2021-09-18 08.59.10-1.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
That is a hack worthy of the front page of Lifehacker :D
I cannot claim credit for the original idea, that's the other user's and he has a blog up documenting it. :D

I did come up with the string though. I just don't like the idea of the display not being connected to the stand somehow. When these get moved (and they will at some point) I'll probably redo it with picture hanger wire. That should be small enough to fit through the holes. And I'll fix something that bugs me.

If you notice, both displays have the Apple logo pointed to the right. I need to flip the left display so the logo faces out like it does on the right. As I discovered, the slightly thinner bezel of the Aluminum Cinema Displays is on top, so flipping the left display has the logo pointing out and the thinner part of the bezel next to the 30" - just like on the right with the right 24" CD.

You know, that whole Apple harmony, sameness stuff. :)

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
An acrylic Cinema Display would look rather silly when rotated sideways wouldn’t it - with the feet hanging in the air… ?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
An acrylic Cinema Display would look rather silly when rotated sideways wouldn’t it - with the feet hanging in the air… ?
IDK. I suppose that depends on where you have it. Unless you have something behind it though it's going to really lean back before the stand supports the display. If you had another display (or something) in front of where the legs stick out then those would be hidden.

It does support rotation though. Supposedly there is a mounting kit out there somewhere to attach these to standard VESA arms. Probably why it supports rotation.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Wow, thanks for the photos and the explanation!

Funny though that Apple didn't incorporate an easy way to rotate the display...looking at your photos it doesn't seem that it would have been to difficult for them to make the orientation easy to change...even if meant taking out a couple of screws.

In fact, now that I think about it I'm actually shocked that some third party aftermarket "Apple Merchandise Accessories Company" didn't come up with a little bracket solution for exactly this.

Thanks again!

EDIT - Oh Wow, I guess someone did make an adaptor that would let you mount these things however you want...

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, thanks for the photos and the explanation!

Funny though that Apple didn't incorporate an easy way to rotate the display...looking at your photos it doesn't seem that it would have been to difficult for them to make the orientation easy to change...even if meant taking out a couple of screws.

In fact, now that I think about it I'm actually shocked that some third party aftermarket "Apple Merchandise Accessories Company" didn't come up with a little bracket solution for exactly this.

Thanks again!

EDIT - Oh Wow, I guess someone did make an adaptor that would let you mount these things however you want...

Yeah, that's the VESA adapter I mention. I could have gone that route but it would have meant very expensive display mounts and VESA adapters for the two 30" CDs in order to make it all work with the one display mount I already had. Because if I was going to mount the two 24" displays I would have had to mount the two 30" displays to make it all uniform. None of the displays would have been as low as the are now and as far back. Half the table would have been taken and the TV would have been blocked.

So that's pretty much why I went with what I did.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Yeah, that's the VESA adapter I mention. I could have gone that route but it would have meant very expensive display mounts and VESA adapters for the two 30" CDs in order to make it all work with the one display mount I already had. Because if I was going to mount the two 24" displays I would have had to mount the two 30" displays to make it all uniform. None of the displays would have been as low as the are now and as far back. Half the table would have been taken and the TV would have been blocked.

So that's pretty much why I went with what I did.
Very cool! Home made solutions are always the best I think!

I completely forgot Apple sold three variants of those — the one pictured here being the first and, by far, the most expensive. I cannot imagine more than a few thousand of this variant (or the other two) were ever sold.

Despite working in ad agencies and service bureaus at the time, I don’t think I ever saw one of these in use — not even at administrative-level work stations. Generally, the move back then for administrator/managerial work stations would be from an old, CRT-atop-pizza-box desktops like the Power Mac 6000-series, being replaced altogether with bondi or fruit iMacs, while for production and design teams, beige towers would get replaced with B&W G3 towers or G4 towers, matched with something like Radius CRTs. About the closest I can remember to anything like the original Apple LCDs making a cameo would be the one Twentieth Anniversary Mac which was on display with a demo running in the lobby of one of the city’s biggest ad agencies.

Rather the horror.

You stop poking around when you run into other people's junk.

My second eBay purchase was a 17" DLSD-HD. I've never wiped a drive so fast as that one. A week or two later the seller asked if I had perhaps retained a copy of the drive.…

NO.

Never a better case of disinfecting a newly-acquired laptop than after being made aware of how the preceding owner likely used it. >_<

After re-installation, I use my own collection. Wallpapers not commissioned by myself are fully pixelated in the following screenshot.

I’m sorry. Even pixellated, my back now aches at the very thought of anywhere near that much impossibly cartoonish weight on my chest. Owww.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
That’s what I meant. Negative joy, so to speak.

I would have said yes - and sent him a printed copy of a picture of the drive. :p That is a copy of the drive, after all.
Well, the transaction was over. I had the laptop and he'd been paid. After that, I wanted no further communication, even as a joke.

Although I have to remember your comment the next time someone asks that, LOL!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Although I have to remember your comment the next time someone asks that, LOL!
There’s this anecdote/joke about a person being asked if they made a backup copy of a defective floppy disk. They said yes - and pulled out a stack of paper, each sheet with a picture of the disk on them. They put the disk on the copier…

Last edited:

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
The joy of exploring someone else's collection... ;)
They are collected or commissioned by myself, not the previous owner’s.

No interesting (NSFW) images or videos found in the original hard disk, but there are 7 GB of pirate music.

I’m sorry. Even pixellated, my back now aches at the very thought of anywhere near that much impossibly cartoonish weight on my chest. Owww.
Don’t think about that.?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.