Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
You're more than welcome to use them, as long as it's for personal use, like a desktop pattern.

I hate to say it, but I'm wholly self-taught. Aside from a one-day photoshop seminar about 6 years ago, I've never had any training in this area with InDesign, AI, etc. There are lots of great books out there, but mostly it's just trying new things and seeing how far you can push Illustrator and your own skills. Believe me, there's people out there that smoke me any day of the week on photorealism .. I just happen to be good at flowers :)

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
I've yet to do ANYTHING on Ill.CS on my Mac i have used it on a PC and it has come out ok. I need to do something but have not found the time esp. now that I have just moved. I do have a lot of things that need to be worked on and after seeing some AMAZING SH** here I must take my hat off to all!!
Great work guys!!!

:apple:

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
from my rinky-dink iWeb site

Everything in this section of my portfolio site was done in Illustrator, except for the "Pureheart" thing, which was Photoshop.

http://www.trendsettingonline.com/identity.html

P.S. yes, I know it's shameful for a designer to use iWeb for his own portfolio, but I'm busy using GoLive for other clients to make my own site! Fortunately, most of my clients have never seen iWeb!

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
I know it's shameful for a designer to use iWeb for his own portfolio

I find nothing wrong with using iWeb! I'm creating my personal company's site (Infinite Design) using iWeb. The result is very professional. Maybe I find nothing wrong with using iWeb because I don't design web sites.:p

c3str

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Illustrator vs. 3D software

One question for those that have shown some (very cool) photorealistic work: do any of you use 3D tools such as Maya or Cinema 4D?

If so what makes you decide on Illustrator vs. a 3D tool? Most obvious answer, function of course, but if it's work that you're doing for yourself then what pushes the decision in either direction?

Good stuff.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
One question for those that have shown some (very cool) photorealistic work: do any of you use 3D tools such as Maya or Cinema 4D?

If so what makes you decide on Illustrator vs. a 3D tool? Most obvious answer, function of course, but if it's work that you're doing for yourself then what pushes the decision in either direction?

Good stuff.

Personally I prefer Illustrator because my background is in technical illustration and not 3D design. It is fair to say that Illustrator and QuarkXPress have made me the most money in my freelance. Most of my illustrations are diagrammatic, not too impressive to Joe Public but pure gold to service engineers. :D

I also use to use IsoDraw which is ideal for technical illustration. However, there is no OSX version that I can find and I know that it is expensive to buy.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
Wow! Great job...can I ask a ballpark of how many hours it would take you to do something like this?

I can pop off a flower in few hours, depending on complexity ...

The Volkswagen? 20+ hours ... and even then, I should have spent more time on the interior ... but I was tired of working on it :D

ybetts

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Not just cars .... :cool:

This mostly gradient mesh with some blurs and assorted other transparency effects ...

How long did that take you to complete? I am in awe! I've just completed an Illustrator course and know how to use all the tools, but seriously can't picture myself creating something so incredible!

jv-iphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Illiustrator art

Tribute to Heath Ledger:

My_Tribute_to_Heath_as_the_Joker.jpg

Jeter:

Jeter-Roto-lg2.jpg

Yankee Chopper (1st work done in Illustrator for a class)

Project9_2.jpg

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Wow, I just spent like 10 minutes reading this thread and realizing, hey, this all looks so familiar.. before I realized somebody had brought up an old thread I probably read over a year ago. LOL.

Not that it's a bad thing, as it is a good thread..

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Wow these images have really inspired me and made me realise the full potential of the program. Im getting bored of doing stupid patterns at college, Cant wait for my own copy to arrive this weekend so I can do something better than boxes!

danekhy

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
cbus
Here's one I did a couple of years ago. It was my first attempt at vector portrait in illustrator.

3458831973_078ebb150c_b.jpg

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
3d

Good stuff.

For me doing a photorealistic car only makes sense to do in 3D anymore. I mean, the difference in the amount of time you're going to put into illustrator vs. a 3D package (I use Blender) is going to be negligible. Unless you're just a maniac in illustrator, or if it doesn't need to be mad realistic, or if it's just a couple bits of a car like a dashboard or seat, or if you just like the look of an Illustrator rendering, which, I do. But if you think there's a possibility you'll ever use the thing again, but with a different color, different light, different angle, 3D is a no-brainer.

I just found this thread, so I need to post the Porsche 356 interior I did.

zlinuk

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
UK
There is some serious talent around these parts. I'm so graphically challenged that I can't even think in colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.