Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Threw this together on my 6S+ real quick, I’m amazed that we can do this sort of stuff without jail breaking, of course we know the drawbacks of using shortcuts.

Most of these icons are just some of my favorite dark ones I’ve collected from various Cydia themes over the years, I want to make a light theme, but I don’t want to spend hours doing it all over again lol.

Attachments

• E5B4EAD8-90DB-43D2-8C7C-F40E082CB0B2.png
    E5B4EAD8-90DB-43D2-8C7C-F40E082CB0B2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • 66A18D1A-EFBA-42FB-9622-3C47B69013C4.png
    66A18D1A-EFBA-42FB-9622-3C47B69013C4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
As much as I like some of the icons being displayed here over the past few pages, I can't help but feel that they are simply for show and have absolutely no other functionality - i.e the shortcut icons are not able to show notification badges so they're pretty useless as a standalone replacement icon.....

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Ahh that makes perfect sense. I guess I don’t really ever use my phone one handed. Either that or I just don’t find anything hard to reach regardless of their position but it’s cool you have a method to your madness Lol.
Its a perception thing too. Walking using your phone with two hands......haha.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Went back to simple layout. Had spent hours on a 3rd party app. Just didn’t like it. Then did the short cut thing. Nope. Back to basic. Some times simple really is better.

After a few attempts when I tried the Android experience. I've found that, for productivity, stock is best. The last house I bought, the architects would not allow the homeowner to just choose any colors they wanted as far as trim and shingle, for example. The company said, folks will know this is an xyz house and we have a reputation to maintain.

Reactions: AdamNC

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
After a few attempts when I tried the Android experience. I've found that, for productivity, stock is best. The last house I bought, the architects would not allow the homeowner to just choose any colors they wanted as far as trim and shingle, for example. The company said, folks will know this is an xyz house and we have a reputation to maintain.

To me, this is just wrong. As a builder, I will do what I can to accommodate my buyer. HOAs and other community standards may override, limit or restrict an individual's choice, but if the buyer wants purple shutters, green trim and blue shingles on a pink house, who am I to say 'no'? In this analogy, I built the house, but you chose the colors...why do your color choices have any bearing on the quality of my work as a builder?

Reactions: Baldilocks

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
View attachment 926564

I’m really enjoying iOS 14. The beta is surprisingly stable.

But:

1) Why can’t we have just an Up Next widget? I have to have a huge Calendar widget to get that functionality.

2) Why is there so much wasted space in the huge Calendar app? Why wouldn’t it show me my other future events instead of just having that massive blank area at the bottom?

3) Widgets should be transparent like folders. That pure black is jarring.

Would you share your wallpaper please?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Type directly into the search bar, like the Android widget.

While I understand the desire, thinking through it, doesn't it open the app after you enter your search query? (I don't have experience to know for sure).

If this is the case, it would seem to me that it doesn't change the experience much if the end result is opening the app. And not sure I'd want to do a full search if the results stayed within the widget.

But perhaps my understanding is flawed and you can enlighten me?

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
While I understand the desire, thinking through it, doesn't it open the app after you enter your search query? (I don't have experience to know for sure).

If this is the case, it would seem to me that it doesn't change the experience much if the end result is opening the app. And not sure I'd want to do a full search if the results stayed within the widget.

But perhaps my understanding is flawed and you can enlighten me?

I think it does, either way, it removes the slight lag from having to open up the application before you type in your search. I'll have to try it on my old OnePlus 6T.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've simplified my homescreen from its previous pages and pages of folders: Not sure if I'll keep it like this, but trying to give it a good go

I've only got a single homescreen now: The group of apps in the middle is the Siri App suggestions widget and the 4 smaller widgets are all stacks (top left is clock, calendar and reminders; top right is Fitness, Notes, Photos, News and Stocks; bottom left is Music, Apple TV and some app launch shortcuts for App Store and OneDrop)

The only fixed apps I've got are the group of 4 in the bottom right

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 20.06.05.png

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
2423A9AB-A497-49CF-80E7-0E75DE71505A.png 5BE065EC-EEA8-48D6-8F22-37C2A94114A8.png

I updated my Home Screen. The first page is my Siri suggestions widgets and a stack of important widgets. The second screen will probably be all widgets.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've simplified my homescreen from its previous pages and pages of folders: Not sure if I'll keep it like this, but trying to give it a good go

I've only got a single homescreen now: The group of apps in the middle is the Siri App suggestions widget and the 4 smaller widgets are all stacks (top left is clock, calendar and reminders; top right is Fitness, Notes, Photos, News and Stocks; bottom left is Music, Apple TV and some app launch shortcuts for App Store and OneDrop)

The only fixed apps I've got are the group of 4 in the bottom right

View attachment 957625
Brave man. I’d love to hear an update after a few days. I use way too many apps to go down to one screen. Do you use App Library?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Brave man. I’d love to hear an update after a few days. I use way too many apps to go down to one screen. Do you use App Library?
To be honest, I use swipe down search to access apps most of the time (and have done for a while), and I’m liking the additional at a glance information the widgets give me. (and App Library is growing on me)

Of course, I could well be back to my old pages of folders in a few weeks time, but I’m determined to give it a good go :)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
To be honest, I use swipe down search to access apps most of the time (and have done for a while), and I’m liking the additional at a glance information the widgets give me. (and App Library is growing on me)

Of course, I could well be back to my old pages of folders in a few weeks time, but I’m determined to give it a good go :)
Very interesting. I think the best thing about the new widgets is how people are using them to fit their personal need/style. I personally love the extra information at a glance, so I have multiple stacked widgets across 3 home screens, and some of them are repeated across the different screens. For the first time in years I've done a major re-org of my home screens. Just waiting on one more of my daily used apps (Weather Up) to get widgets and then I'll be happy :).

fbm3334

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
Here is my home screen - as I was mainly using Spotlight and Siri Suggestions anyway in iOS 13, I decided to keep the layout simple and just use App Library when needed (I don’t find it that bad, maybe because I used Android as my main smartphone OS for 8 years).

PNG image.png

PNG image 2.png

Reactions: Abazigal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.