Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Papa Goat

macrumors newbie
I go for minimal distraction.

Attachments

• 4F5A916C-ABFD-4942-9525-70FDCDF0CA6A.jpeg
    4F5A916C-ABFD-4942-9525-70FDCDF0CA6A.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 530

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
It’s not like you had functional widgets in iOS 13. You lose nothing by updating.

...of course you did - on the Today screen.

You lose ALOT by updating :

Currently at 26 pages of bugs and issues - sorry but until these are ironed out, I'd rather stick to iOS 13 which doesn't have any of these issues.....

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I keep changing my mind, especially regarding stacks. However, here's mine at the moment. In an attempt to replicate the missing Favourites widget I've created 2x2 widgets on my Today View screen. Originally, I had video, audio & text stacked, but while playing I kept calling people by accident! So I removed the stacks and instead added a menu to the shortcut. That's what the last screenshot shows (after I click "Parents").

Names removed to protect the slightly-innocent.

F2CBD107-33D4-4A99-A23D-8962D368023C.png C8AB91FB-54EC-4587-8A61-6D4D2D8932BA_1_201_a.jpeg AB8726F7-C389-4DA9-A7D3-95C87D9B9F8F_1_201_a.jpeg

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
The Widget I’m installing has to warrant the real estate I’m giving up
On my Home Screen. An example would be weather widget. One tap on weather App and I can see the same thing. Don’t get me wrong there will be Widgets that provide info that normally we can’t get like a sports score Widget which shows me current score
However at this time Widgets are limited and perhaps the pros should make them to get the best result and have a place in the App Store

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The Widget I’m installing has to warrant the real estate I’m giving up
On my Home Screen.
Yeah it seems like theres a battle between Widget & Haptic Touch menus also. Widget’s bringing about some headaches at this early stage for sure.

Things are easier on the iPad as the Today View on the Home Screen can be used to store your most useful Widgets, but on the iPhone, you need a committee to talk things over with.
?

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal

Currently at 26 pages of bugs and issues - sorry but until these are ironed out, I'd rather stick to iOS 13 which doesn't have any of these issues.....
One person's problems are another person's non existing problems. It depends on a lot of factors. Many issues people are complaining about, I haven't had those issues. My experience though.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I hear your concerns, but you have to realize a couple of things...

First, there aren't "26 pages of bugs and issues", there are 26 pages of discussion about bugs and issues... lots of people with a lot of different 'takes' on issues.

Secondly, there are some issues that are huge for some people, and just a nit (or even non-existent) for others.

Any computer program with 100 lines of code is bound to have bugs. The complexity of iOS makes the possibility of existing bugs pretty high. As with anything, you just have evaluate your needs and wants against the risk.

I don't mean to diminish anyones expectations or experience, but if you are waiting for a bug-free version of iOS 14 (or any other version of iOS), you will never move from where you are, as it will never happen.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I still can't believe how many of my apps will not have widget support. I mean all my financial apps (Credit Cards and Fidelity) would be ripe for Widgets and nothing is happening. It's still general bug fixes. I remember when IOS 13 came out and everyone was updating apps within the first week. In terms of apps being compatible for IOS 14, that might be my biggest disappointment. I can understand independent developers, but I'm talking about big corporations here (Or in the case of Pocket Casts, NPR). They have the money, or so I think.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
View attachment 959565
Like this. How is it done?

Color Widgets

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.