Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011

Attachments

• F5641BB8-6E90-4EF8-815D-6C3653769274.jpeg
    F5641BB8-6E90-4EF8-815D-6C3653769274.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

mac_head

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Finally settled for this

Attachments

• 07D8D448-358B-478A-A38E-C0CD3F05DA3F.png
    07D8D448-358B-478A-A38E-C0CD3F05DA3F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 458
Reactions: qap

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
I'm a bit late to this stuff. Am I right in thinking that the customised app icons briefly open the Shortcuts app before they actually open the app they relate to? Or has this stopped happening with iOS 14?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I'm a bit late to this stuff. Am I right in thinking that the customised app icons briefly open the Shortcuts app before they actually open the app they relate to?

...100% correct.

Currently its the only way for custom app icons. There is another way (which I saw on YouTube) but that's even more convoluted and involves installing lots of profiles on your phone.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
I know there's been some apps released to make custom widgets - could someone tell me if any of them would allow me to make a widget that just had custom text in it? I want to create a setup where each page has a 'heading' (made from a custom widget) e.g. one page might have a custom widget that just says SOCIAL.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
...the batteries widget is super useful - especially if you also have airpods and a watch! Well worth using IMO.
I don’t use AirPods but do have a watch but one of my icons is a battery indicator. I only need to glance at my watch for that and I have the percentage on the top bar of the iPhone homescreen anyway. The widget for my use was rather large for what was information already easily accessible.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
....I think I've finally settled for this on my phone!!!

View attachment 963041
What app do you use to do the pack icons?
[automerge]1602066488[/automerge]
I'm a bit late to this stuff. Am I right in thinking that the customised app icons briefly open the Shortcuts app before they actually open the app they relate to? Or has this stopped happening with iOS 14?
Seems to be the only downside....think that would bug me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’ve tried the custom app thing and for me it makes the experience so laggy. You are essentially sacrificing speed and fluidity just for an app icon aesthetic. Not for me personally.
Yeah seems like it, think personally the icons are fine. Widgets is something i would use...even on my fold 2 i don’t have different icons so i wouldn’t do it on the iphone. Widgets though. I would pack my screen with them but remains to be seen if the apps i use will make widgets for them.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah seems like it, think personally the icons are fine. Widgets is something i would use...even on my fold 2 i don’t have different icons so i wouldn’t do it on the iphone. Widgets though. I would pack my screen with them but remains to be seen if the apps i use will make widgets for them.

I’ve tried the custom app thing and for me it makes the experience so laggy. You are essentially sacrificing speed and fluidity just for an app icon aesthetic. Not for me personally.

..its literally an extra 1 second whilst the app icon redirects to the Shortcuts app which then redirects to the correct app. I thought I would hate it too but its really not that bad!!

The app is called 'Themes'

1602068234597.png

My particular theme cost £4.99 - you can unlock the lot for slightly more, I didn't bother as I only wanted that one theme.

Each theme gives you custom icons and several matching wallpapers for the lock screen and home screens.
:)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
..its literally an extra 1 second whilst the app icon redirects to the Shortcuts app which then redirects to the correct app. I thought I would hate it too but its really not that bad!!

The app is called 'Themes'

View attachment 963837

My particular theme cost £4.99 - you can unlock the lot for slightly more, I didn't bother as I only wanted that one theme.

Each theme gives you custom icons and several matching wallpapers for the lock screen and home screens.
:)
You say just ‘one extra second’ but it negates the whole ethos of upgrading for faster processors and a more fluid interface. We have people on here arguing that FaceID/TouchID is 0.3 seconds faster than the other and even that the Apple Watch S6 is 8% faster than the S5 in app switching which translates into just tenths of a second. Now all of a sudden the pausing for opening an app is fine because the icon is personalised lol. I just fail to see the logic on here sometimes.

Not saying it’s wrong to customise app icons by turning them into shortcuts, but it does significantly slow down the navigation within the OS by doing so. I tried it for the Tapatalk app but I just found it nicer just to press the stock icon and not have that weird window switching animation while the shortcut routes to the app.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
.....but it does significantly slow down the navigation within the OS by doing so..

...I don't disagree with you - it does indeed slow it down. Some are happy to have this slow down for a much better visual and aesthetic appearance until such time (if Apple even invent such a thing) that we may be able to customize without resorting to the shortcuts app.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
First I tried a completely clean home screen only using the dock, but that felt like wasted space. So I was thinking about, which apps I really use most and ended up with this:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-07 um 16.52.05.png

(the notes widget is a stack btw, so I can easily switch between my iCloud- and my iPhone account)

ibookjake

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
I only have 1 widget, as I don't really like to use them as they create more pages for apps making it more complicated. but because the battery is 'not so great' in my iPhone, this one is useful.

IMG_1604.PNG

Reactions: Openworld1234

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This is what it's come down to for me. I'm really digging the combined weather/calendar that Fantastical provides. Everything below is Siri suggestions with a few apps (including Calendar to eliminate redundancy) turned off.

12jjok.jpg

Reactions: Abazigal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.