Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newt82

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Not really liking the idea of widgets on my iPhone’s app screen. Can you still keep them in the widget page by swiping right?
However I may like them on my iPad.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Just spent the last 30 mins redesigning my home screen layout, but ultimately reverted back to my original layout. First time lucky I guess lol

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
Looking at the battery widget, i think the NOTCH is here to stay for "some more time"

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
That looks great!

If anyone has the calendar widget: I’d like to know if it shows your next event, even if it’s days away (like the current Up Next widget).
The new Calendar widget has three options. A small square one which shows today's date and anything scheduled for today only, a wide one which shows a calendar view of the current month on the right and any scheduled activities for today only on the left, and a large one which shows "up next" events as far into the future as it needs to go to fill it. It shows around 4 or 5 upcoming events.

Edit: Some time during the day it realised I was a loser with nothing planned this evening and the little square widget is telling me my first event tomorrow.

Last edited:

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Maybe I am overlooking something, but where is the place to add new widgets? It used to be at the bottom of the widgets. Think it said edit. Not there for me.

Reactions: compwiz1202

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Why have the Weather and Calendar apps on your home screen when you’ve got the widgets there, too? Tapping the widget will just launch the app, so you could lose the Weather and Calendar apps to free up some space for something else.
You lose the true 3D-touch functionality of the app, since they aren’t replicated in the widget.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Maybe I am overlooking something, but where is the place to add new widgets? It used to be at the bottom of the widgets. Think it said edit. Not there for me.
Make the icons jiggle (like you are moving them) and then click the plus at the top left.. if you make them jiggle and go to the widgets page. You will see other app widgets as well that you can move to the home screen

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Make the icons jiggle (like you are moving them) and then click the plus at the top left.. if you make them jiggle and go to the widgets page. You will see other app widgets as well that you can move to the home screen

Thanks. I just figured that out after I posted. How do I make the weather be a horizontal rectangle vs a square?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks. I just figured that out after I posted. How do I make the weather be a horizontal rectangle vs a square?

when you get to this screen.Swipe left to choose the different sizes

Attachments

• 3862611B-9630-4900-BF7E-F9C9D65486F7.png
    3862611B-9630-4900-BF7E-F9C9D65486F7.png
    995.2 KB · Views: 563

Mechalol

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
Got thanks and sorry for the stupid questions. Here’s another, when I delete an app and select add to library, where does it go? I was expecting a library folder?
It goes into the new App Library, swipe past your last page on the home screen and it will bring you to this page. You can see all the suggested apps in the App Library, or swipe down/search to find all your apps.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
The more I use iOS 14 the more I love it. Seems extremely stable to me as well for a Beta 1. Seems to be bringing iOS into the new decade. Still not sure about Big Sir though, I'm sure the design will grow on me.

Reactions: adrianlondon

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Got thanks and sorry for the stupid questions. Here’s another, when I delete an app and select add to library, where does it go? I was expecting a library folder?
Should be the last page. I believe it’s called the app drawer. Can’t remember

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Is there an easy way to put all the apps in the app library without pulling them all into a folder to reduce the number of app pages?

snowglider

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
England
Do the normal icons still automatically re-arrange towards the top of the screen, or can you finally leave gaps so you can keep certain apps at the bottom of the screen?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Do the normal icons still automatically re-arrange towards the top of the screen, or can you finally leave gaps so you can keep certain apps at the bottom of the screen?
Apps still want to be at the highest point so if you do not have a widget at the top, the apps will be in their normal spot. If you want them down the screen you want to add a widget to push them down.

Reactions: Craiguyver

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
BE5F02D7-B9DD-46E9-B877-C9AF9397D27B.png

I’m really enjoying iOS 14. The beta is surprisingly stable.

But:

1) Why can’t we have just an Up Next widget? I have to have a huge Calendar widget to get that functionality.

2) Why is there so much wasted space in the huge Calendar app? Why wouldn’t it show me my other future events instead of just having that massive blank area at the bottom?

3) Widgets should be transparent like folders. That pure black is jarring.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Well I hope I like this new widget thing and the library feature. I just deleted 95% of my folders it took years to build by category. I pretty much do spotlight searches anyway. I am hoping that Stack combined with Library will meet my needs. I was determined to try to get down to one page (just home screen), but not ready to give up my Finance and Home Automation folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.