Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Safari better with IOS 8 on iPad Air/rMIni?

• Yes

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
If you have been suffering through random Safari instability and tab reloading issues on IOS 7.x please post your IO8 experiences here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I didn't experience tab refresh on an iPad3 with iOS 8 GM, but I just tried once without many apps opened.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
I haven't used it extensively yet, but so far in my usage Safari on iOS 8 with iPad Air hasn't really been reloading tabs. It's kind of taking a brief moment for the site to reappear when i click to a tab after a while, which I assume might mean it's taking it out of compressed memory? But it isn't reloading them.

Edit: the test for bloated pages, theverge.com, did force other tabs to reload upon going back to them (i had 5 other tabs open)

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
The bookmarks opening transition isn't very smooth when pressing the bookmarks button.

Also, when pressing the share button (box with arrow) the airdrop icon has two formations, one with a blue background which rapidly changes to white. Also the text position changes.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
This really sucks now. You have to tap the top to get your bookmarks bar to show once you've been scrolling. And you can't entirely X out all your tabs. One page must remain active. Wtf? Also I have popups blocked and for the first time ever today I got a screen ad to take over while browsing the site Daily Mail online.

abn0038

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
First comments sound promising. I'm still downloading IOS 8 on my rMini. :(

My rMini OTA would be 1.6G but it will not install as I don't have 6.9G free for it to install, how much free space did you have before/after upgrade.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
IOS 8 finally downloaded and completed the install on my rMini. I had 13 GB free when the update installed.

I noticed something interesting off the bat. I had a couple tabs open and I was quickly scrolling through a website that usually gave me problems (Twitter). It held out for a long while and finally a small message appeared at the top saying 'there was a problem and the tab needed to be reloaded'.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
No problems so far on Air or rMini, but I don't care for the new bookmark system either.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This really sucks now. You have to tap the top to get your bookmarks bar to show once you've been scrolling. And you can't entirely X out all your tabs. One page must remain active. Wtf? Also I have popups blocked and for the first time ever today I got a screen ad to take over while browsing the site Daily Mail online.

Yes....this one is killing me too. Can't find a way to turn it off either. Meh. :(

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I was able to get Safari to springboard crash twice last night. I was on si.com zooming in and out to read text and look at pictures. One of the crashes took my rMini back to an Apple logo screen. I wasn't being gentle on it so I'm not sure people would usually replicate the same issues. Still it shouldn't crash at all.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I was able to get Safari to springboard crash twice last night. I was on si.com zooming in and out to read text and look at pictures. One of the crashes took my rMini back to an Apple logo screen. I wasn't being gentle on it so I'm not sure people would usually replicate the same issues. Still it shouldn't crash at all.

This really sums it up. I havent had any issue with Safari in iOS 7 or 8 but others have and its not a good thing. I just think Safari is a pig of sorts when it comes to system resources and I dont get why.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
It's been significantly slower than iOS 7. So I've just switched Chrome. Other than slow safari, I love most everything in iOS 8.

Bigbadduke

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Why does bookmark bar stay open after selecting a favorite?

I am extremely frustrated with Safari in iOS 8 on my iPad Air. Why does the bookmark bar stay open after selecting a favorite? Who leaves their bookmarks open all the time? Apple brags about full screen view then takes away a quarter of the screen by leaving the bookmark bar open. Yes, I know I can hit the button again to hide it but this is totally unnecessary. Did they hire a Windows 8 designer?

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
What did they do this time? I haven't upgraded yet.

Once you hit the bookmark symbol the book mark section stays open until you hit it again. I usually use my iPad in landscape, but this morning when I used the bookmark in portrait mode it closed on it's own when the site opened like it did in iOS 7. Problem for me is I prefer landscape and having to close the bookmark bar each time is a nuisance.
I haven't used iOS 8 extensively or explored it's new features, but in general it is smooth for me and seems snappier.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I'm not having any issues whatsoever in iOS 8 on my retina iPad mini. In fact, Safari is working far better for me than it did in iOS 7.

1k9

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
Safari has locked up quite a few times where I have to reboot my iPad air.

Facebook has had black screen on occasion and is very slow to load.

I was considering doing a clean install, but if I did that I was worried about having any issues with my cellular sim card since I went from Verizon to T-Mobile.
Or will that not really matter.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.