Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macbookprodad

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Here is mine, picked up yesterday
399979_466668650056772_1868803647_n.jpg

307243_467366119987025_1069857649_n.jpg

Last edited:

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
What do you think of it? I'm toying with getting rid of my iPhone 4 and getting either this or the Nokia Lumia 920. Fancy a change from iOS and want a bigger screen than the iPhone5 and not interested in Android.

I'm absolutely loving it! It works flawlessly and the UI is a joy to use. Unfortunately, Android apps do not have a culture regarding the UI design, which lowers the overall user experience. WP8's approach is similar to iOS's. I also find using WP8 apps a lot easier as you simply slide the screen to access a different section of the app. I'm a typography freak, so I particularly like the clean design of the OS and the applications.

Synchronisation is almost always problematic on Android and even sometimes on iOS too, but somehow Microsoft managed to nail it. Snap a photo and it's instantly on SkyDrive.

Live Tiles are like "widgets-done-right". Being a person who never managed to use the widgets efficiently on Android, I'm loving the live tiles. After using WP8 for a while and enjoying its dynamic home screen, you'll soon realise how dull iOS and Android actually are.

Contact management is fantastic and being able to switch between messaging over SMS and Facebook without leaving the conversation is great. iMessage was sometimes causing problems in merging iMessage threads with SMS threads.

Long story short, apart from the lack of applications, WP8 is currently better than iOS and Android by a long shot. Stable, fast and fun.

Don't take my word for it, get one and give it a whirl yourself :)

+1. This Nokia model looks pretty sweet but after hearing some reviews I'm not sure. Would love to hear also how you like it.

This one is HTC, not Nokia :)

Lumia 920 is too bulky for my taste and I couldn't care less about its super-duper camera so HTC was an obvious choice for me. I really don't like the short and squat nature of Lumia 920, even though it brings a better camera and more storage space.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Umm why? Honestly Curious. Never seen a computer rear view mirror. :confused:

if your at work, on the internet or doing something your not suppose to, you can see if your boss or a co-woker is creeping on you...or if your at home, you can see whos behind you...i like to be aware of my surroundings, i guess thats the result of being born & raised in nyc

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
if your at work, on the internet and your not suppose to, you can see if your boss or a co-woker is creeping on you...or if your at home, you can see whos behind you...i like to be aware of my surroundings, i guess thats the result of being born & raised in nyc

You realise your boss doesn't have to be behind you to see whats on your screen don't you? I bet a lot of companies employ spyware. I know ours does since our ex sales manager got caught downloading certain films!

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I'm absolutely loving it! It works flawlessly and the UI is a joy to use. Unfortunately, Android apps do not have a culture regarding the UI design, which lowers the overall user experience. WP8's approach is similar to iOS's. I also find using WP8 apps a lot easier as you simply slide the screen to access a different section of the app. I'm a typography freak, so I particularly like the clean design of the OS and the applications.

Synchronisation is almost always problematic on Android and even sometimes on iOS too, but somehow Microsoft managed to nail it. Snap a photo and it's instantly on SkyDrive.

Live Tiles are like "widgets-done-right". Being a person who never managed to use the widgets efficiently on Android, I'm loving the live tiles. After using WP8 for a while and enjoying its dynamic home screen, you'll soon realise how dull iOS and Android actually are.

Contact management is fantastic and being able to switch between messaging over SMS and Facebook without leaving the conversation is great. iMessage was sometimes causing problems in merging iMessage threads with SMS threads.

Long story short, apart from the lack of applications, WP8 is currently better than iOS and Android by a long shot. Stable, fast and fun.

Don't take my word for it, get one and give it a whirl yourself :)

This one is HTC, not Nokia :)

Lumia 920 is too bulky for my taste and I couldn't care less about its super-duper camera so HTC was an obvious choice for me. I really don't like the short and squat nature of Lumia 920, even though it brings a better camera and more storage space.

Ha my bad. I was thinking Nokia. Thanks for the info! Man, sounds like its definitely worth a shot to pick one of these up. :cool:

if your at work, on the internet or doing something your not suppose to, you can see if your boss or a co-woker is creeping on you...or if your at home, you can see whos behind you...i like to be aware of my surroundings, i guess thats the result of being born & raised in nyc

I guess that works but personally seeing a random rear view mirror warrants enough suspicion. But I guess it also works well if you have one of those at home and the TV is right behind ya. ;)

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Just picked this load up last night at Best Buy. Samsung LED UN40ES6500, Samsung BD-E5900, Prometheus 3D Blu ray edition and some 3D glasses. I must say, the tv is great. Has an extremely good picture and the 3D is really neat. This was a delayed Christmas present to myself. :D

ScreenShot2012-12-30at65439PM_zpse61ba748.png

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Congrats man! I just recently (12/17) picked up my 2013 Q5 and I absolutely love it!

It was also a joy to drive it thru its first snow storm!

Thanks, mines been in the garage since I took it home, it's been killing me but its just too shiny to take out in the snow. :)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Just picked this load up last night at Best Buy. Samsung LED UN40ES6500, Samsung BD-E5900, Prometheus 3D Blu ray edition and some 3D glasses. I must say, the tv is great. Has an extremely good picture and the 3D is really neat. This was a delayed Christmas present to myself. :D

ScreenShot2012-12-30at65439PM_zpse61ba748.png

In a few months let me know how often you use 3D.

I have a 3D 55" LG. I haven't touched 3D since like the forth week of the NFL season. It's nice, don't get me wrong. I wish gaming on it didn't have a lag, or it could be I'm not use to gaming in 3D.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
In a few months let me know how often you use 3D.

I have a 3D 55" LG. I haven't touched 3D since like the forth week of the NFL season. It's nice, don't get me wrong. I wish gaming on it didn't have a lag, or it could be I'm not use to gaming in 3D.

Yeah I can definitely let you know. I bought it with intentions of using the 3D feature a lot through Blu ray movies, so long as the content is there. I don't care for the conversion feature that much with cable and I never planned to use it. It definitely has a "wow" factor that will probably wear off soon, but I went ahead and bought it because I didn't want to get a year out and regret not having it. I was between the 47" LG and this Samsung, but based on what I saw at Best Buy I had to go with the Active 3D. Just seemed like a much more pleasant picture personally than the passive. Both great tv's though. I hope mine doesn't suffer from any lag, but I do most of my gaming downstairs in our small theatre room and this is just for the bedroom.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah I can definitely let you know. I bought it with intentions of using the 3D feature a lot through Blu ray movies, so long as the content is there. I don't care for the conversion feature that much with cable and I never planned to use it. It definitely has a "wow" factor that will probably wear off soon, but I went ahead and bought it because I didn't want to get a year out and regret not having it. I was between the 47" LG and this Samsung, but based on what I saw at Best Buy I had to go with the Active 3D. Just seemed like a much more pleasant picture personally than the passive. Both great tv's though. I hope mine doesn't suffer from any lag, but I do most of my gaming downstairs in our small theatre room and this is just for the bedroom.

I don't do that Blu-Ray stuff. I just got the ATV2 and have it jailbroken running my movie library from my external HDD's. I'm going to move it down stairs so my wife and I can start using the living room more often and gets me off the computer. But as you can see, we have a dilemma.

TV_zps38735be8.jpg

Big wall, made the TV small! Doesn't even look like 55", I think a 70" would be perfect. I could get one for the same price I paid for this 55" :(

What's the difference between Active and Passive? One of them the glasses are battery operated?

Edit: Crap, I thought this was another TV thread I was participating in.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Final piece for my new karaoke system~

Monoprice 19" touch screen monitor
mr_mp19tsm-123012.jpg

49' active USB extension cable for touch screen on new monitor
mr_mpusbaxc-123012.jpg

Decided to upgrade from an older SSD on my Mac Pro to a new one~

Samsung 840 Pro
mr_sm840pro-123012.jpg

Apricorn Velocity Solo X2
mr_acsx201-123012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.