Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbuzleski

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
St. Paul, MN

9e742cd92a37e5fb164bd10e9bcc8b8b.jpg

slippy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2005
I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 and finally thought I'd see what kind of speeds I'm getting. There's a huge difference in performance from the 5 to the 6 on Sprint in the Kansas City area.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    953.6 KB · Views: 103

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 and finally thought I'd see what kind of speeds I'm getting. There's a huge difference in performance from the 5 to the 6 on Sprint in the Kansas City area.

Yup that's band 41 which previous iPhones don't support. Wideband 20mhz LTE.:cool:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Near the American Airlines Arena in Miami:

Miami Beach near 21st street:

A few more from the area:

It's all usable, but considering T-Mobile advertises Miami as a "Data Strong" area, these are pretty bad numbers. Considering the HSPA+ test was faster than LTE, this all looks like congestion. I imagine they would need a dense macro network to deal with it.

Damn this scares me. I live in Miami and was super ready to switch to T-Mobile, but honestly my speeds on Sprint over here are pretty good and I don't even have a Spark device (gonna buy iPhone 6 soon though). Is T-Mobile not as good as Sprint in the Miami-Dade area?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Damn this scares me. I live in Miami and was super ready to switch to T-Mobile, but honestly my speeds on Sprint over here are pretty good and I don't even have a Spark device (gonna buy iPhone 6 soon though). Is T-Mobile not as good as Sprint in the Miami-Dade area?

I'm not sure. I was only there for a day. I'd still switch. They have band 12 LTE for better building penetration and should be using band 2 for LTE as well. Things should be stable for a while.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I'm seriously starting to wonder if those of you posting good AT&T speed tests are seeking them out, or if you're in the middle of nowhere. I've posted numerous tests from my home market that were all crap, but leaving town by 5 miles in any direction makes speeds jump dramatically.

In the last week, I've traveled 3 hours west to St Louis, and only experienced what I would consider acceptable LTE service at Busch Stadium with bands 2 and 17 bonded (assuming their are mini cells located somewhere around for capacity). Everywhere else around downtown and out towards West County all gave sub 2mb downloads. Service was unusable inside of Scottrade Center, even with no event going on. Service at Chesterfield and West County Malls was also not worth attempting to use.

Tonight, I traveled 2 hours east to Louisville, and experienced the exact are thing all over again. 10x10 Band 17, full signal, less than 1mb down, and almost nothing up over by Oxmoor. Move more towards downtown, same results. But, 5 miles into Indiana, speeds were in the 15mb range again.

It AT&T really doing as well as it appears for everyone else, or are these just speed tests people are seeking out to show how great the service is. From what I've seen, they are falling back into the same rough times like they had with the release of the iPhone. Voice service is awesome, I never drop calls (even when driving in the middle of nowhere), but data is unusable unless I switch LTE off, and FauxG leaves a lot to be desired also.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm seriously starting to wonder if those of you posting good AT&T speed tests are seeking them out, or if you're in the middle of nowhere.

[snipped]

I've had my share of terrible speeds on AT&T. This was a few months ago in St. Augustine, FL (a populated tourist town where T-Mobile had no issues with pushing out at least 15 down):
WcVbCZw.jpg

They're like that in several places around Jacksonville, too. Neighborhoods are alright, since most people are probably on their home Wi-Fi, but go into a crowded area, and things get bad quick. No CA here yet either I believe.

10 minutes before the start of tonight's Sprint Unlimited at Daytona. I'd estimate there were 40,000 or so here.
XqSWiNu.jpg

Last edited:

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I've had my share of terrible speeds on AT&T. This was a few months ago in St. Augustine, FL (a populated tourist town where T-Mobile had no issues with pushing out at least 15 down)

I wish TMo was better around here, but the coverage here is horrible also. Switches between Edge and GPRS at the house, and in town where LTE is available, it doesn't work at all indoors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.55.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.55.27 AM.png
    917.6 KB · Views: 94

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I'm seriously starting to wonder if those of you posting good AT&T speed tests are seeking them out, or if you're in the middle of nowhere. I've posted numerous tests from my home market that were all crap, but leaving town by 5 miles in any direction makes speeds jump dramatically.

In the last week, I've traveled 3 hours west to St Louis, and only experienced what I would consider acceptable LTE service at Busch Stadium with bands 2 and 17 bonded (assuming their are mini cells located somewhere around for capacity). Everywhere else around downtown and out towards West County all gave sub 2mb downloads. Service was unusable inside of Scottrade Center, even with no event going on. Service at Chesterfield and West County Malls was also not worth attempting to use.

Tonight, I traveled 2 hours east to Louisville, and experienced the exact are thing all over again. 10x10 Band 17, full signal, less than 1mb down, and almost nothing up over by Oxmoor. Move more towards downtown, same results. But, 5 miles into Indiana, speeds were in the 15mb range again.

It AT&T really doing as well as it appears for everyone else, or are these just speed tests people are seeking out to show how great the service is. From what I've seen, they are falling back into the same rough times like they had with the release of the iPhone. Voice service is awesome, I never drop calls (even when driving in the middle of nowhere), but data is unusable unless I switch LTE off, and FauxG leaves a lot to be desired also.

I'm in the Philly market and I don't do the speed test thing. My experience is that AT&T data works. Does it feel slower at times and in different areas? Yes only if I want to notice. I don't understand why people post these speed test thingy's. Does your data perform? Also on other forums you hear VZW customers complaining about the network. Every carrier seems to have their issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.