Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oculus Mentis

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
UK
I'm seeing so many great setups on this thread. Some of them truly make wonders at cable management. Harnessing a myriad of cables is one of the greatest griefs in my electric life...

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm seeing so many great setups on this thread. Some of them truly make wonders at cable management. Harnessing a myriad of cables is one of the greatest griefs in my electric life...

I don't even bother managing it anymore :p

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 526
Reactions: Synchro3 and opeter

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Looks used & confused at the same time ;)

Haha, thanks.

That flag is just a postcard from Turkey from a friend of mine :)
However I like the clean look of it, so I thought, I keep it.

This is part of my bedroom. I don't have much space, so what you see here on the picture is just an old desk, that has the duty to give space for my "home theater and entertainment system": a small 22" LCD TV, an old DVD-player, a DVB-T2 box for wathing some local channels and a gaming console, that is a Raspberry Pi computer.

Cork tiles on the wall have two functions:
1.) this is an old house and it would need a hefty repair (won't happen in the near future for different reasons), so the tiles hide the cracks on the old wall and the wallpaper
2.) ... and also I can pin anything on them... ;)

And this desk also give space for all sorts of things, that I sometimes need, when I draw.

Right now I don't have another monitor, just the TV, so that's why the Mac mini is here, hooked up to it. After the screen arrives next week, the computer will be moved to another desk, that is in the same room.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Haha, thanks.

That flag is just a postcard from Turkey from a friend of mine :)
However I like the clean look of it, so I thought, I keep it.

This is part of my bedroom. I don't have much space, so what you see here on the picture is just an old desk, that has the duty to give space for my "home theater and entertainment system": a small 22" LCD TV, an old DVD-player, a DVB-T2 box for wathing some local channels and a gaming console, that is a Raspberry Pi computer.

Cork tiles on the wall have two functions:
1.) this is an old house and it would need a hefty repair (won't happen in the near future for different reasons), so the tiles hide the cracks on the old wall and the wallpaper
2.) ... and also I can pin anything on them... ;)

And this desk also give space for all sorts of things, that I sometimes need, when I draw.

Right now I don't have another monitor, just the TV, so that's why the Mac mini is here, hooked up to it. After the screen arrives next week, the computer will be moved to another desk, that is in the same room.

Was not really looking for an explanation as none needed -
Fascinates me that there is so much variety across the world of availability/usage/productivity.
Just wondering. If I did not see all the goodies out there would I miss them?

Makes me a bit bitter and twisted when I see what others can afford and conversely jealous of the people who make real use of what they have. Caught between the two camps and on the negative side of both.

Running below even my low state of mind at the moment. Really impressed with your attitude and drive - good on ya!

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW

In the pic of my office area a couple pages back, I went to great lengths to hide the cables. You can zoom in and see the cables on the floor as they jump between furniture pieces, but that's it. There are 6 or 7 computers in that picture (there's 8 now, with a few swapped out since it was taken), sharing 2 keyboards, mice & monitors as well as 2 sets of speakers. I attached dozens of rubber or silicone cable management clips to the underside of the table glass and back sides of the I need to post a pic showing a close up of the cable runs.

Alexandberg

Cancelled
Feb 21, 2011
As much as I loved looking at my Mini on the desk, I still like a clean setup. Thanks to my desk (Bluelounge StudioDesk), this was possible:

_DSC4899.jpg

The Mini is now hiding inside the desk, with easy access to the backside. Thermally speaking, it may not be the best solution, but the compartment does have ventilation holes for airflow. However, I rarely run the Mini hot, and I can always open the lid up if I need to.

_DSC4900.jpg

Alexandberg

Cancelled
Feb 21, 2011
" Thanks to my desk (Bluelounge StudioDesk), this was possible:"

Crikey! You paid a heck of a lot for a table with a hole in it;)

And it was absolutely worth it! ;) As a designer myself, I value good design and quality highly—the reason why I love Apple (although my respect for them is declining)—and this desk definitely satisfies that need!

Reactions: Momof9

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
"(although my respect for them is declining)"

As with most design I have found that philosophy tends to impede advancement.

Probably the only one that does not do this is "form follows function".

It is probably the one to be re-instilled at Apple so that progress can be seen to be made.

As with the "Incredibly Shrinking Man" eventually the form prevents the efficient function and the perpetrator of the design must be default start again.

When the hardware makes that leap forward that we are always waiting for the designers can go back to 'their art of design' education and please the eye to their hearts content , but until that leap is made a bit of backing off is required. Obviously I am a bit of a retard being really really old but how does the old ACD with an all aluminium construction, 5K display, large airflow capability, masses of GPU&CPU capacity and a base 1TB SSD of storage with Ram&3k in block of 16GB sound? Wireless charging for all input devices obviously and a 3year Guarantee of onsite repair/replace.

All for <£5,000 :D

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW

... I attached dozens of rubber or silicone cable management clips to the underside of the table glass and back sides of the I need to post a pic showing a close up of the cable runs.

I bought SO MANY of those cable management clips.... and Velcro cord wrap... and exact length cables for HDMI, Displayport, Ethernet, Power, whatever....

Edit: In two of the pics - Under the corner of the desk on that glass stand is an HP Proliant MicrosServer - a somewhat "proper" server with 17TB under RAID, HotSwap Bays, iLO and ECC Memory. It sits next to a UPS unit and on top of an HP 8-port Smart Switch. There's a second UPS on the glass shelve above.

In the area in the pic I posted on Page 4, there are a total of 9 computers all: with wired ethernet, 2 printers connected via ethernet, 3 monitors, 2 USB sharing switches, 4 UPS units, 3 Network switches, and 2 Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 Speaker setups w/ 3 computers running audio to each through a 2 passive mixers.

In short - there's a whole lotta cables that are tucked out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_5570.JPG
    IMG_5570.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 519
  • IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 523
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 526
Last edited:

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Is that a Desk or a Board room Table? I need one-Where to Buy?
it’s actually an Ikea kitchen counter and my landlord happened to have one laying around. I just put some legs under it. Kitchin counters are the best since they’re so Sturdy.
[doublepost=1547059759][/doublepost]
img_0130-jpg.803500

img_0129-jpg.803501

img_8484e-jpg.803555

Mine lives in my rack, so nothing much to see.

An old pic as my rack is somewhat taller now, in the effort to keep everything out of sight.
Interesting. What are you using it for? And why a Mac Mini instead of a Xeon based server?
[doublepost=1547060178][/doublepost]
Thanks for the response. That's a very long time for a custom config. Mine took 5-6 days. Very impressive considering it got from China to my house in just under 2 days.
Actually decided to go for the i7 option. Returned the i5 yesterday and ordered my i7 the same night. The waiting part is the worst though.

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I had move my 2010 mac mini as kept overheating, Its not bolted to the stand of an old HP monitor which was vesa mounted. It allows me to tilt and spin the mini.

But here is my desk before moving it (it's under the ipad)...
IMG_20180912_143242.jpg

EDIT: since this photo the imac on left is gone and a 20" apple cinema screen is there also hooked up to the mini.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.