Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swadd1er

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Is that desk from IKEA? Called Micke, isn't it too unstable? When I was checking it in the store, it looked so unstable I am worrying about "breaking" it can be easily done :/
I was looking at a similar one in IKEA (may be the same) and I found it wasn't very sturdy either. Ended up not bothering.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Is that desk from IKEA? Called Micke, isn't it too unstable? When I was checking it in the store, it looked so unstable I am worrying about "breaking" it can be easily done :/

Ya I believe it's from ikea. It is on the cheaper side compared to the other desks from ikea. I don't think it's that "un-sturdy" but then again depends on how much weight you're wanting to put on it. Definitely can't handle a lot lol but it works for me. I find it too narrow, so my next desk will be a wider one.

swadd1er

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
A quick photo of my new monitor which i'm recieving for Christmas. Connected it up to make sure everything was as it should be. First impressions, the picture quality is absolutely fantastic. Exceeded my expectations. For £229, it seems an absolute bargain. On Christmas day i'll post another picture of my whole setup, but until then, it's back in the box.:(

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 682

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
A quick photo of my new monitor which i'm recieving for Christmas. Connected it up to make sure everything was as it should be. First impressions, the picture quality is absolutely fantastic. Exceeded my expectations. For £229, it seems an absolute bargain. On Christmas day i'll post another picture of my whole setup, but until then, it's back in the box.:(

Which monitor is this?

swadd1er

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Which monitor is this?

It's the Hazro HZ29WiA. Here's another photo with a different background. It'll be getting wall mounted shortly after Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.JPG-2.jpg
    IMG_0730.JPG-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 507

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Hey guys,

I got a soldering iron for xmas and I've been looking for soldering projects ever since then. Lol! I also got a new case for my PC, so I scavenged parts from my previous case to create a DIY laptop cooler using two 140mm fans connected to a fan controller. I spliced the molex connector from the fan controller to an AC-DC adapter and wallah:

DSC07111_121314_desk_01_1219_web_zps9acdc879.jpg

The MBP goes on top of the fans and the fit is snug and secure thanks to rubber grommets. The laptop is cool to the touch now and hope it prolongs its life since these computers do get hot, even when I am just using EyeTV.

diylaptopcooler_zpsbd6152a4.jpg

Here is a shot of the fans while working on it.

IMG_20141213_204445_zps1056a427.jpg

And... here is a 40mm DIY USB fan. This fan is powered via USB cable that I spliced to the fan. It keeps that top area cool.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It's a bit pointless putting a fan there! The whole laptop acts a heat sink, so it getting hot is normal.

You'd be better making sure there isn't dust clogging up the actual laptop fans, and monitoring your CPU usage in case there's an out of control process. EyeTV will use up CPU cycles because it's rendering video on the fly.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
It's a bit pointless putting a fan there! The whole laptop acts a heat sink, so it getting hot is normal.

You'd be better making sure there isn't dust clogging up the actual laptop fans, and monitoring your CPU usage in case there's an out of control process. EyeTV will use up CPU cycles because it's rendering video on the fly.

The fans are clean. The logic board was replaced a few months ago due to the Nvidia Latent Manufacturing Defect. Adding the fans just gives me a peace of mind that it's keeping the MBP nice and cool. I don't have any temp readings to monitor the actual temp of the cpu or gpu. But, when I touch the chassis, it is much cooler than before. So, it is doing something.

The bottom 140mm fans aren't cooling the actual heatsink. But, if it is cooling the chassis, then, it might help transfer heat buildup inside faster, if that makes any sense. So, what I am hoping is that the fans blowing into the bottom chassis will aid in the aluminum chassis absorb more of what little heat it can from the inside of the MBP. Thus, accelerating heat transfer from the inside to the outside, if that makes any sense. Not a thermal engineer, though. And, this is just a little experiment that, I think, works a lot better than any of the laptop coolers one will find in a store, I think.

The next thing to do, I guess, is find a temperature monitor program to see if it is actually working. Instead of judging it just from touching the chassis. Lol!

Thanks for your concern, though.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I wouldn't call it pointless to do that. The laptop acting as a heat sink is passive cooling. Adding fans to draw the heat away is active cooling and can only help to keep it cooler by drawing more heat away from it. Just like a CPU has a heat sink and a fan on it.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Not exactly my setup...

One of the few 'real Macs' left in my house. Finally up and running as a whopping 7TB backup and storage server for my home. The attached picture is from me troubleshooting a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• xservetest.jpg
    xservetest.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
It's the Hazro HZ29WiA. Here's another photo with a different background. It'll be getting wall mounted shortly after Christmas.

I'm intrigued by his monitor, I love the widescreen, how is the quality compared to the retina MacBook?

awakenthedead

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
My dorm setup.
New mid 2014 15 MacBook Pro retina w/ nvidia graphics and 512ssd, 24 inch Apple Cinema Display, Belkin dock, 3tb seagate hdd, jbl pebble speakers, and iPad mini 2.
All philosophy majors have this kind of setup right?

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 315

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Macbook Mid 2010, specs in sig. Soon upgraded with 16gb ram and possibly SSD Raid.

20" Cinema display hooked up to a Hack Pro (2500k, 16gb GTX 670).

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_221845.jpg
    IMG_20141215_221845.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 226
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.