Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Just got my 15" HiRes-AG a couple of days ago. The screen is great, colors look good out of the box.

But I'm sure some of you have professional tools, so post them up, regardless of HiRes, AntiGlare, or size. Everyone could find it useful from the 13"-15".

Template:

15" Hi-Res Anti Glare

[Display Panel Model No.] [calibrated profile]

Download the file and save it to:
/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
This is a great idea. Someone posted one of their professionally calibrated profiles and it looks awesome, I'm using it now. Maybe I can find one that makes the bottom screen tint/dullness issue less noticeable.

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Here is a profile for a Matte 15" High Res running on a the GF330.

Brightness set at 50% for calibration let me know if anyone wants it set differently.

FWIW: for a notebook display it's seems like a pretty good panel - but it's not going to stand up against my NEC 3090WQXi :)

Edit: Panel is a LTN154MT07

Attachments

• MBP_Matte_GF330.icc.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,634

crman

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
i got 15" HiRes, AntiGlare too.
i found that my screen's color tends to be red... i have not calibrated it. it is the default profile
have u guys' screen also "tends to be red"??

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
i got 15" HiRes, AntiGlare too.
i found that my screen's color tends to be red... i have not calibrated it. it is the default profile
have u guys' screen also "tends to be red"??

Download the profile above and open and compare them in Colorsync - it'll show you where you're likely running out of gammut with the default profile.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
thanks for posting that profile. I'm loving the results. Its similar to what i had on mine, but its that extra pop i needed

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010

Brightness set at 50% for calibration let me know if anyone wants it set differently.

FWIW: for a notebook display it's seems like a pretty good panel - but it's not going to stand up against my NEC 3090WQXi :)
Out of curiosity, what did you use to calibrate with?

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I ordered an i1Display2 earlier this week – UPS says it'll arrive on Monday :)

You'll be VERY happy with the results I suspect - the difference a calibrated display makes is huge if you're a color critical user.

If you're a photographer it's worth getting your printer custom calibrated as well - the time and the effort spent to get everything talking the same language color wise is so worth it - nothing more frustrating than working up an image and it looking completely different on output.

http://www.greatprinterprofiles.com/ is a good source and reasonably priced.

Full disclosure - Michael is a friend of mine as well as a hugely talented photographer.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Been using unclegit's .icc profile for a day now, its working pretty well.

Just a naked eye observation, there is not a huge change overall from the original calibration with regards to whites.

What I noticed mostly when switching between the original and unclegit's was that the detail on a dark/black background was really improved. Before if there was something dark it would just be so, but after using his (or her, who knows) calibration, I saw that there were details within the dark image that weren't visible with the stock calibration.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Found in another thread, adding here to maintain unity.

Quoting Stangs55:

"As I had previously promised, I've uploaded my color profile after calibrating my 15" HR-AG MBP using a Colovision Spyder3.

I wasn't really sure how to set the brightness, so I decided to set it at where I most commonly use it--with 11 squares lit up using the keyboard brightness settings (set it at full brightness then press the decrease brightness button four times).

There was certainly a huge difference after calibration as it was clear that the default was far cooler than it should have been.

And PLEASE keep in mind that EVERY display is different! What is perfectly calibrated for me will likely not be perfectly calibrated for you! My only hope is that this will provide you with a guideline that gets you closer to neutral.

Good luck!"

File: http://psalms4610.com/Color-LCD-1

Original thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/906727/

Jof

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008

Edit: Panel is a LTN154MT07

Yay! Thanks! Finally one for my panel.

I'm finding the image quite cold versus my 5,1 15" glossy, but at least this has got rid of the nasty magenta blush! That was driving me crazy; nearly sent the laptop back :)

It's not perfect, but it gives me enough confidence to consider investing in an i1 D2.

Thanks again :)

ic1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Would these profiles work with a late 2009 15" Matte MBP? Not at the machine in question now, so can't say who the screen manufacturer is if that matters. OS is OS X 10.6.3 though.

Jof

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
Scrub that, it's still a little pink, still with some subtle (not VERY subtle) pink ghosting on fast scrolling (especially hyperlinks).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Scrub that, it's still a little pink, still with some subtle (not VERY subtle) pink ghosting on fast scrolling (especially hyperlinks).

Yeah I see this too.

The profile is pretty much near perfect too - not sure why there is a reddish ghosting on moving text.

Jof

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
Yeah I see this too.

The profile is pretty much near perfect too - not sure why there is a reddish ghosting on moving text.

Good good - I'm not going crazy then! There's another thread about it here somewhere now...

For a dramatic example, go to Swift Cover (uk insurance company who extensively uses purple; google it - I don't want to link here and give them undeserved google juice) and wave the window about; MAAADDD saturation when moving about, shifting the purples into luminous magenta for me :eek:

However, my old (perfectly calibrated) MBP does this and so does my Thinkpad so I'm not panicking about it quite as much as I was a few days ago - especially as the screen is pretty good otherwise. I have two thoughts about this:
1) These profiles are still too over-saturated to my eyes (especially blues and purples)
2) If this "saturation" or whatever it is is reduced, the effect will also be much less when stuff is moving
(you can prove this yourself quite easily by trying different profiles).

Possibly :p

Now where's that saturation slider when you want one...

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I'd love to give some profiles a try.
I have a 13" Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. it's my first MBP.

Cheers.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Anyone have one specific to the HR Anti-Glare
9CBB
LP154WE3-TLB1
LG-Philips

display?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.