Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I finally got my MacBook today (Woohoo! :D) and I'm loving it. Only problem, as others have noted, is that the default color settings for the display isn't exactly "optimal".

I tried going through the calibration wizard, but I can't seem to get a good setting out of it.

Would anyone with one of the new SR MacBooks be willing to upload their custom color profiles? I would really appreciate it.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I finally got my MacBook today (Woohoo! :D) and I'm loving it. Only problem, as others have noted, is that the default color settings for the display isn't exactly "optimal".

I tried going through the calibration wizard, but I can't seem to get a good setting out of it.

Would anyone with one of the new SR MacBooks be willing to upload their custom color profiles? I would really appreciate it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/325971/

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
The color profile on mine was horrible as well, it was really yellow and the gamma was way too high. I read some posts here and found Supercal, which I dowloaded and it worked really well. It's 13 steps, they're not too hard to follow, and the results are great.

http://bergdesign.com/supercal/

Hope it works well for you :)

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Honestly, just set it to adobe RGB or calibrate it yourself. The results will be similar and once your eyes adjust it looks very nice.

I don't think I could ever get used to the adobe RGB as it's very purple. I've tried the internal calibration five times and it's always worse than the stock profile.

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
Honestly, just set it to adobe RGB or calibrate it yourself. The results will be similar and once your eyes adjust it looks very nice.

AdobeRGB is not meant to be used as a monitor profile. It's a synthetic, perceptually uniform, working space that in no way describes the actual characteristics of a physical display.

~David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I still can't get a decent calibration for my screen. I perfect one color, and now another color is screwed up.

Does anyone here have one of those ColorVision Spyder calibration units? If so, mind posting the profile it outputs?

Thanks.

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Keep in mind no two LCD panels are going to look exactly the same, and no two backlights (whether LED or CFL) will either. So the profile from one machine may or may not be an improvement on another.

If you're serious about color then get a real calibrator (Spyder2 PRO is a pretty good deal). All of the other color profiles included with OS X are just color spaces. They are NOT device profiles like "Color LCD" is and will not do any good.

The human eye is absolutely terrible at making the objective measurements needed to accurately profile a display. Any visual "calibration wizards" are just going to waste your time. Invest in a cheap calibrator and you will have consistent color performance for your current and all future displays.

chunkdude

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
so i applied the profile someone posted a couple posts up, no good. i tried a bunch of my own that i made, and i cant get anywhere close to the colours of my lcd monitor for my desktop. where do i go from here.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
all screens are different. use SuperCal to calibrate it. My MBP came with a washed out yellow tinged screen. Now it's crisp colors and lots of contrast, and I made it a lot more blue, so the whites are white. Looks great.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I calibrated a few hours ago and came up with this.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Main-4271780.icc.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,987

LowMach

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
how do you find out what screen model?

the dave color scheme looks good. almost exactly like the one i configured except for a little more warmth.

anymore graphic related keystroke combinations i should know as a new macbook user?

thanks
-low

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
All of these profiles look much worse than the standard one in my opinion.

Am I just completely wrong, or is it possible that I just got lucky? :confused:

chris57

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I downloaded David's profile, and put it under /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays but its nut showing up under System Preferences. Am I missing something?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I downloaded David's profile, and put it under /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays but its nut showing up under System Preferences. Am I missing something?

Make sure that "Show profiles for this display only" is unchecked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.