Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
it's nice, what does it mean ?

Here is an in-depth explanation of what every part of the symbol means copied from a website:

The OM symbol is made up of three Sanskrit syllables - 'aa', 'au', and 'ma'. First came the sound and from it everything in creation. Believed to be the source of all manifest existence, the sound of OM is the sound of the infinite. Referred to as prana, or the breath of life, OM pervades all of existence. In meditation, the intonation of the sound creates a vibration in tune with the very oscillation of the cosmos. When intoned correctly, harmony and bliss resonate in the body, reaching the centre of one's being - the atman or soul.

The sign itself is made up of three curves, one semi-circle and a dot. The three curves represent the states of ordinary human consciousness and all physical phenomena. The large lower curve signifies the ordinary waking self looking outwards - the upper curve signifies deep dreamless sleep - and the middle curve is the middle ground of looking inwards and being enthralled by inner dreams. Between the dot and the three curves lies the semi-circle signifying maya - illusion. The dot itself is the symbol of the highest state of consciousness, unaffected by maya, and in which all sense of separateness falls away.

tanhm

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
got it :D tks buddy

Here is an in-depth explanation of what every part of the symbol means copied from a website:

The OM symbol is made up of three Sanskrit syllables - 'aa', 'au', and 'ma'. First came the sound and from it everything in creation. Believed to be the source of all manifest existence, the sound of OM is the sound of the infinite. Referred to as prana, or the breath of life, OM pervades all of existence. In meditation, the intonation of the sound creates a vibration in tune with the very oscillation of the cosmos. When intoned correctly, harmony and bliss resonate in the body, reaching the centre of one's being - the atman or soul.

The sign itself is made up of three curves, one semi-circle and a dot. The three curves represent the states of ordinary human consciousness and all physical phenomena. The large lower curve signifies the ordinary waking self looking outwards - the upper curve signifies deep dreamless sleep - and the middle curve is the middle ground of looking inwards and being enthralled by inner dreams. Between the dot and the three curves lies the semi-circle signifying maya - illusion. The dot itself is the symbol of the highest state of consciousness, unaffected by maya, and in which all sense of separateness falls away.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Just a warning to those photographing their tattoos. There is a very strong causal connection between iPhones, tattoos and getting published on Hunter Moore's web site.

Be careful and don't get too carried away.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
The first start on a Rock and Roll theme being done on my right arm ...

Attachments

• RollingStone22.jpg
    RollingStone22.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 199

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Family Crest

Got my family crest last September. 5 hours straight. Going back and getting it touched up just keep forgetting to make an appointment.

Sorry for the crappy PhotoBooth pic......

Attachments

• Tattoo.jpg
    Tattoo.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 234

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Figured I'd finally get around to submitting to this thread. I've been getting work done around 5 years now, slowly working towards a full body suit I guess, though I do intend to save some skin to get tattooed during my travels around the world. All black and grey work by various Australian tattoo artists. I don't really have any decent shots of my sleeves unfortunately, and was limited to 5 attachments so many missed the cut :p

Attachments

• 20164_102205659807863_100000552894033_57422_8321300_n.jpg
    20164_102205659807863_100000552894033_57422_8321300_n.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 201
  • 20164_102201466474949_100000552894033_57318_6752357_n.jpg
    20164_102201466474949_100000552894033_57318_6752357_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 194
  • chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    641.3 KB · Views: 195
  • menew.jpeg
    menew.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 210

Az Samurai

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Arizona
It's Bushido, If you don't know what it is, it's basically translated into "way of the Warrior"

Attachments

• WP_000039.jpg
    WP_000039.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Figured I'd finally get around to submitting to this thread. I've been getting work done around 5 years now, slowly working towards a full body suit I guess, though I do intend to save some skin to get tattooed during my travels around the world. All black and grey work by various Australian tattoo artists. I don't really have any decent shots of my sleeves unfortunately, and was limited to 5 attachments so many missed the cut :p

nice leg tattoos. I have some pretty aweful prison tattoos on my legs i need to cover up. what i mean is not from prison but done by hand not by a professional.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
tuppkam.jpg

The skeleton was made by a friend I had once, and the ink was placed by a cool old lady that quit her job because she wanted to become a tattoo artist instead.

pyramidclover.jpg

Pyramid Head from my favorite video game Silent Hill 2 and the clover at the bottom is a logo from a hardcore punkband named Victims.

nurse.jpg

A nurse from Silent Hill 2.

onceapunk.jpg

The cover of my favorite cassette with Svintask plus the quote "Once a punk always a punk" in the frame.

staffe.jpg

My very first tattoo, I got it almost ten years ago and it's the only one I almost regret. I don't really regret things, but that tattoo is both badly done, inaccurate (my name is only Starfighter now, not Robin) and is placed in the middle of my lower arm. It's in the way for bigger things! :)

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I think I want to get a dreamcatcher on my right arm and have 6 phoenix feathers go across my right pec and right back shoulder blade; not sure how I want the net or any other decorations

JGC1986

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Thinking about getting my wifes name tattooed on my chest...

Already have 1 tattoo on the front of my ankle, Sanskrit for "Balance" (Libras motto) and 2 on my upper left arm (Chinese symbol for tiger since that is the year I was born in, and Est. 1986). I really want to add some to my leg tattoo, because I feel it does not look that great now, but would look better with the whole front of my leg done.

I'd post pictures, but I have to find some, or take some.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Well, this ...

I guess. Like I said, I'm a cynic.

I don't think its cynical at all. I would just say ask yourself this. What would you rather have? A relationship and no tattoo about it, or a tattoo about a relationship you no longer have? Keeping in mind that I'm not referring to relationships with friends/relatives.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree but obviously many people do it and it's easy to cover in some cases. However, across the chest is a bit rough. Again, to each their own ... I'm still calling myself a cynic whereas you may see me as rational. :D

JGC1986

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I agree but obviously many people do it and it's easy to cover in some cases. However, across the chest is a bit rough. Again, to each their own ... I'm still calling myself a cynic whereas you may see me as rational. :D

Oh no, not across my chest, that is huge. I am talking above my heart, about 5 inches long. Nothing huge.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think its cynical at all. I would just say ask yourself this. What would you rather have? A relationship and no tattoo about it, or a tattoo about a relationship you no longer have?

I have my wife's first initial in hebrew tattooed on my side (not on its own, but as a part of a tattoo that also includes my first initial in hebrew).

But then again, I know with absolute certainty that we'll be together until we die.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.