Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petz0ldt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I recently got a unibody mbp 2.8ghz and with my fans going at a steady 5000 rpms using smcfancontrol i can usually keep my temps at 65-75c while playing cod4. Is this a fairly decent range for the temp while running the game? what temps are other people getting while playing?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was not aware of that program until you posted this thread. How do you like it? What does it do to improve your computing experience? I guess what I'm asking is how is it superior to the MacOS fan control?
Thanks!

petz0ldt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I was not aware of that program until you posted this thread. How do you like it? What does it do to improve your computing experience? I guess what I'm asking is how is it superior to the MacOS fan control?
Thanks!

Basically the app just lets u control your minimum fan speed. So before i start cod4 i turn my fan speed up from the default 2000rpm to 5000. According to their website it doesn't affect the mac os fan control other than setting the lowest possible fan speed. So if i set my mbp to 5000rpm and osx decides that it needs to be higher than that it will increase the speed as it normally does. I guess setting it to 5000 before starting the game just gives you a little jump on the heat and its always nicer seeing your temps 65-75c rather than 80c+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.