Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Would it be possible to …
See when a post has been updated (and original text in a footer so to speak)?
Maybe when a post is quoted, that change would update forum member whom quoted another that a change has been made, outside of moderation.

Currently, I believe, when a person’s post is quoted, if the original post was updated, that update is not reflected within the quoted post. (My head hurt typing that, I’m sure its won no grammar points, yet hope it’s understood). Like signatures.

Would these changes be possible to implement?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Unfortunately, the way quotes work is that they are essentially copied and pasted into the new message, so it's not possible to propagate edits into other people's posts.

Providing a history of edits might be possible, but may have to think about any implications of that. Sometimes people accidentally post sensitive info that they may want removed from public view.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm someone who edits my posts frequently, often multiple times for clarity, grammar or corrections. I would not want each unedited version to be available, and feel it would lead to more confusion. Although a user option to update the original if quoted by another user might be useful, I could see it causing problems if it makes the response no longer in context or incorrect, even if it was an appropriate response to the original. It might lead the responder to edit their post and that could easily get out of hand and, shall we say, messy.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I also edit frequently but as @WildSky stated it is usually for punctuation and clarity of thought. I never change up my post completely unless its a total delete and I will label it as such.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would not want each unedited version to be available
I see your point, but I don't think the forum software has this ability. Plus I think its important to maintain the state of dialog as it was written so people's replies (with quotes) makes sense. I think it would be even more confusing if a quote was automatically changed without the replyer's knowledge especially if the content or meaning of the quote was drastically altered, making the response confusing or completely nonsensical.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I see your point, but I don't think the forum software has this ability. Plus I think its important to maintain the state of dialog as it was written so people's replies (with quotes) makes sense. I think it would be even more confusing if a quote was automatically changed without the replyer's knowledge especially if the content or meaning of the quote was drastically altered, making the response confusing or completely nonsensical.
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.
Was I misunderstanding your point? You're not proposing that quoted posts be automagically changed?

Sorry, if that was the case, I totally misread your point

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Was I misunderstanding your point? You're not proposing that quoted posts be automagically changed?

Sorry, if that was the case, I totally misread your point
No, I wasn't promoting that. I was acknowledging the OP's point but didn't think even if the user had the option it would work.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm someone who edits my posts frequently, often multiple times for clarity, grammar or corrections. I would not want each unedited version to be available, and feel it would lead to more confusion. Although a user option to update the original if quoted by another user might be useful, I could see it causing problems if it makes the response no longer in context or incorrect, even if it was an appropriate response to the original. It might lead the responder to edit their post and that could easily get out of hand and, shall we say, messy.

1 edit from the original poster currrntly and in a few cases does make the responders post that quoted the original no longer in context. But I see your point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.