Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Glad all the consumers machines get this first. All the kinks can be worked out before the MacPro gets it at the end of the year.

LaCie have started making drives etc with Cripplepeak connectivity. There are a few others.

hglk

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Utah, USA
I don't know if they can make the iMacs look better, IMO. They look really nice. hardware improvements would be the best way to keep these machines alive. unless ofcourse they pull of something amazing like they always do lol.

To each their own, but in all reality, these are the best looking "all-in-ones" that i have ever seen.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
What about the Mac Pro? It's way past due, would that come first, before the iMac?

Sandy Bridge Xeon's are due in November.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iMac and new Mac mini are the replacement for the Mac Pro.

With Thunderbolt, you will be able to connect the new iMac or Mac mini of them to Fibre Channel arrays, have three displays or use external PCI chassis for existing PCIe cards. iMac CPU performance with the desktop Sandy Bridge CPUs will exceed most Mac Pro configurations. The new iMac's ability to use 32GB of RAM matches the Mac Pro too. You can configure the iMac using SSDs for less than the price of the Mac Pro too.

By the time November comes around, Thunderbolt may cause the death of the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Please bring back the 24"! 21" - too small. 27" - too big. 24" - just right!

I'm sticking with my 24" Core2Duo until a new 24" model is released.

+14ish. 24" is a sweet spot that i'm hoping makes its way back.

That's what i'm hoping for! I just got the word from work that they will give me some money to buy one so I can finally take my work homework on the weekends, and just in time apparently!

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
As someone looking forward to buying my very first Mac desktop; I must say this is a pretty lame rumour. 'Sandy Bridge'? 'Thunderbolt'? Nothing surprising; everyone here was expecting these two items. I want more specific rumours!:p

The wait continues...:(

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I would like one. But I doubt I'll get one. My next computer will either be a Macbook pro or a Mac pro. But that will be a while into the future before I get anything.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
As someone looking forward to buying my very first Mac desktop; I must say this is a pretty lame rumour. 'Sandy Bridge'? 'Thunderbolt'? Nothing surprising; everyone here was expecting these two items. I want more specific rumours!:p

I hear the Magic Mouse it comes packaged with will have double the retinas as previous models.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
Still lovin' my 2009 iMac.... best machine I've ever owned.

I'm with you!This gas been a great computer with few, if any, problems for me. I think I'll wait awhile so they can get HDs at a decent price that can hookup to Thunderbolt. I seem to run quite well at the speed I have now. Any increase wouldn't be noticed since I rarely encode videos.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Please bring back the 24"! 21" - too small. 27" - too big. 24" - just right!

I'm sticking with my 24" Core2Duo until a new 24" model is released.

I actually read somewhere that due to the way LCD panels are manufactured that there are various sizes that can be cut. Supposedly Apple is wasting several inches of panel by having an off size. I think it's possible that the 24" might just make its way back into the lineup as the new low end iMac. However, I think we would hear rumors of that ahead of time. Maybe with the next design change. I think 2012 will be a big year for the return of the Mac. There are rumors of MBP changes, and it seems like Apple could cut down the size of the "chin" and make the iMac look like the 27" LED ACD with just display showing from the front.

Anyways, I have a 27" LED ACD, and from my experience it's too big. I really love the size of it but it's a double edged sword. I found that the 24" was just right, but I would prefer the resolution of the 27" only in 16:10 format in the 24" ACD. I think Apple needs to also go for a 30" for the professionals out there that want bigger. I think a consumer perfect size is probably 24" while pros might want 30" or even larger. I am with you in wanting some better sizes in both iMacs and the ACDs with them. I do find it odd that the only size ACD is 27" while that's bigger and more expensive than most consumers care for, and Apple is all about consumers now.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

The guy across the street who has a friend named Phil Jobs that works for Apple says it'll also be 'truly magical'

Macginger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Don't forget the possibility of better graphics and SSD as standard, now thats gotta be worth a grin :)

CBGFilms

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
Yay!

Perfect, just the news I've been waiting for. Currently have an Early-2008 model which I purchased in September 2008, just in need of a bit more power really! Also welcoming the extra USB ports and built in SD reader, Thunderbolt on the newer ones will be nice for an external HDD!

The built-in optical drive on my iMac seems broken too, keeps spitting out disks! :(

Looking forward to the new models!

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Can they PLEASE enable Jumbo Frames on the new iMacs? It's ridiculous that in order to properly run a SAN at work we need to buy refurbished iMac Intel Core 2 Duos

What about the Mac Pro? It's way past due, would that come first, before the iMac?

Don't look at the Buyers Guide average release time. The past two Mac Pro upgrades have been around the 15 month mark in between releases. At the current rate we'd be lucky to see one around October.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Psyched! Late April, Early Nay would be perfect timing for me to pick up a brand new iMac. :)

xxjudgmentxx

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
WI
Better idea: add an ExpressCard slot so I can put eSATA or USB3 on my iMac. Or you know...put USB3 & eSATA on my iMac for me *hint hint Apple*

Tike1994

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
St. Charles, IL
Finally some Mac news. I've been waiting since Christmas to get my first Mac desktop. All my iOS devices will finally have a Mac to connect to!!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Filled under "No ****, Sherlock"

Haha, I agree. I always assume that Apple are about to bring their various desktop systems in line with their latest laptops technologically, and that assumption is very rarely wrong. :p

Seems like a "safe" rumor to me. He may even be making this up to build buzz, and probably still be right...

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I guess native HDMI input functionality will still be a no-no. I know you can do it with 3rd party adapters, but that's a croc!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.