Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

140815-imacs_2010.jpg

As tracked in our Buyer's Guide, the iMac has reached its average update interval, suggesting that we might be able to expect refreshed models to appear some time in the relatively near future. Expectations for revamped iMacs include a move to Sandy Bridge processors and implementation of the new Thunderbolt connectivity standard that debuted in the MacBook Pro last month.

In a series of Tweets (via MacNews.de), CNET's Brian Tong claims to have received word from a reliable source that new iMacs should debut in late April or early May. The updated iMacs are said to feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt as expected, but no major cosmetic changes are reported to be included.
- EXCLUSIVE: My Sources: New iMacs en route by ocean to U.S. available end of April or 1st week of May. No major cosmetic changes.

- My sources say New iMacs will feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt. No other specifics.

- We'll see if this pans out, but I'm highly confident in my source. If you're looking for a new iMac. WAIT FOR IT!
iMac rumors have been relatively sparse in recent months, although DigiTimes indicated in mid-December that Apple was expected to update both the MacBook Pro and iMac in the first half of 2011 with the iMac featuring a new panel size and price points. Just days before the MacBook Pro update in late February, DigiTimes reiterated its claim that may change the screen size on new iMacs, claiming that the new models could debut alongside or soon after the MacBook Pros.

Article Link: Potential iMac Update to Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt in 4-6 Weeks?

Zeldain

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
What about the Mac Pro? It's way past due, would that come first, before the iMac?

Comment

Wilbah

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
I find it funny...

That the "pro" line- as in Mac Pro tower - will be the last in the line of machines to get the "thunderbolt" connectivity option.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Pity they didn't slim down the iMac by choppin' the chin (assuming this rumor is true). Can't wait to see what they release. The old "smaller iMac" rumor priced for the "mass market" kept me interested in the next iMac update--hope to see something trimmed for the "mass market".

Figured iMacs would update in April.

Comment

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Balls! I just bought a new 27in iMac like 3-4 weeks ago! Oh well, I have been wanting replace my PC with a mac for like over a year, and I love it.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Please bring back the 24"! 21" - too small. 27" - too big. 24" - just right!

I'm sticking with my 24" Core2Duo until a new 24" model is released.

Comment

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Newbie question - please don't flame me.

How big of a transition is this, as compared - for example - to the Intel chip back around 2006? What I mean is, after the transition to Intel, certain software and eventually the newest operating system itself could no longer be run on the old chip. So, is this transition as significant as that, or is this more of a speed boost kind of thing?

Thanks.

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Another crippled machine. I doubt Apple will show how bad their connector overloading is.

Comment

jpjandrade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Newbie question - please don't flame me.

How big of a transition is this, as compared - for example - to the Intel chip back around 2006? What I mean is, after the transition to Intel, certain software and eventually the newest operating system itself could no longer be run on the old chip. So, is this transition as significant as that, or is this more of a speed boost kind of thing?

Thanks.
Simply a speed boost. A huge one, but just a speed boost.

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Good news. My Mom needs a new iMac due to screen issues on her ancient machine, so she will be getting my hand-me-down 24-inch Core 2 and I will be buying an upgrade. I would like to see the 24-inch come back, but will probably consider and go with the 27-inch.

Hope these machines don't run too hot or have too many mechanical problems. As long as Apple doesn't unnecessarily try to make these things another 1/4 inch thin, then I'm guessing these are okay right off the bat.

Comment

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Great news as I have been riding out my 2007 iMac and was tempted to buy one a few weeks ago. Glad I waited and will be first in line for the new iMac's! Wonder what problems we will face though? As it seems all new launches have. Anyone want to buy a Mint 24" 2007 with a 500gb HD (Fall 2007) Ati radeon 2600 Pro?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.