Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=iphone x pentile&src=typd

#CrossHatch-gate

DJkXlHoXUAUMDrM.jpg

DJjZqwjW4AArR8e.jpg

This blows so much I can't even. I CANNOT even fathom we're going to have a lower perceived res than the iPhone 6 Plus/7 Plus/8 Plus.

Going to pretend it's not true. :D

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Think more galaxy S5 than Note 8 in comparison to the X.

The OLED is gonna be such a throwback from the latest Samsung devices, and all the rumours of Samsung charging Apple $140 for an OLED screen, they must still not be off the floor from laughing.

Can’t wait for the 8 plus and X screen comparisons. I think people are going to be shocked as they think they’ll be getting an OLED this side of a Galaxy S6.

Reactions: ForumChick

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I will have to find it again and try to link it here. I was pretty sure he was comparing pictures he had from some source of an iPhone X to the Note 8 but I could be wrong. Thanks for calling out my mistake if I'm wrong. I hope I am wrong!

Ah yes, you're right. Good catch, I thought I was looking at an X with black bars cropping out the notch and I misheard him say it was IPhone 7. I apologize for my mistake.

His video is here and the comparison in question starts at the 3:44 mark.

Stick to his software videos, he does a great job of finding little features that change faster than anyone else. The rest are usually just guessing.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
There are so many things wrong with that video I just can't even... Not just because he continues to show a fake mock-up with the white surround.

Anyway, 1200 nits? Who cares? Why would I want my battery life to be THAT compromised? Has anyone complained about phone brightness with the iPhone 7 lines? No? Color me shocked. That's because it's MORE than bright enough.

It really is hilarious how quick people are to judge so many things on iPhone X.

On the positive side, the more that people try to make themselves not want one, the easier it gets for me to get one on launch day.
Yeah the quality of video commentary on the iPhone X is kind of poor all around, everyone is spinning their wheels, putting out something-- anything for their subscribers. The people I usually rely on for objective observations are wisely keeping quiet at this early stage of the game because there's nothing solid to go on other than what they saw on the floor at the Keynote. Of course it's tough if you want to preorder and you like someone like Flossy Carter who reviews units he actually buys like the rest of us.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yeah the quality of video commentary on the iPhone X is kind of poor all around, everyone is spinning their wheels, putting out something-- anything for their subscribers. The people I usually rely on for objective observations are wisely keeping quiet at this early stage of the game because there's nothing solid to go on other than what they saw on the floor at the Keynote. Of course it's tough if you want to preorder and you like someone like Flossy Carter who reviews units he actually buys like the rest of us.

Yes, - but the one thing we can say pretty conclusively is that the iPhone X is using a PenTile arrangement. You can see it in the high-res screenshots from the verge. And that is a MAJOR downer. My head is still reeling from the (close to) FACT that the iPhone X is going to be fuzzier than the iPhone 6 Plus / 7 Plus / 8 Plus. And I mean NOTICEABLY fuzzier. I'm going to go back to bed till November...

iPhone X:

RlDus12.png

Standard PenTile arrangement (potentially direct match):
Samsung-pentile-matrix-subpixel-closeup.jpg

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i'm not worried. apple would never choose OLED if it wasn't significantly better than the LCD they use on the other devices. i'm pretty sure the PPI is lower than on galaxy devices because apple chose a lower resolution to save battery.

there's a reason samsung ships the note 8 with the resolution set to 1080 x 2220 instead of the 1440 x 2960 it supports. i imagine most people who know that will change it to the max resolution, but will sacrifice battery life and performance in the process.
[doublepost=1505590063][/doublepost]
Yes, - but the one thing we can say pretty conclusively is that the iPhone X is using a PenTile arrangement. You can see it in the high-res screenshots from the verge. And that is a MAJOR downer. My head is still reeling from the (close to) FACT that the iPhone X is going to be fuzzier than the iPhone 6 Plus / 7 Plus / 8 Plus. And I mean NOTICEABLY fuzzier. I'm going to go back to bed till November...

iPhone X:

RlDus12.png

Standard PenTile arrangement (direct match):

how do you tell it apart from this arrangement? (diamond pixel)

xFQwbSe.jpg

Reactions: profets

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR

iPhone X:

RlDus12.png

Standard PenTile arrangement (direct match):

I’m gonna go with the people that were actually at the event rather than people that are zooming in on screenshots of images of photos of devices... they all raved about the quality, sharpness and color reproduction of the screen.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
i'm not worried. apple would never choose OLED if it wasn't significantly better than the LCD they use on the other devices. i'm pretty sure the PPI is lower than on galaxy devices because apple chose a lower resolution to save battery.

there's a reason samsung ships the note 8 with the resolution set to 1080 x 2220 instead of the 1440 x 2960 it supports. i imagine most people who know that will change it to the max resolution, but will sacrifice battery life and performance in the process.

xFQwbSe.jpg
They probably picked it because of the non-standard screen (the "notch"). I believe it's much more difficult/impossible to make non-rectangular LCDs than it is to make OLEDs.

Reactions: Falhófnir

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

xFQwbSe.jpg

The size of that layout leads me to believe it’s PenTile. Again, no full conclusions drawn. Have to wait till people get the devices. If it’s PenTile I will be very disappointed.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I did (google) but couldn't find anyone that had hands-on time and said anything about pentile (or not pentile). The Verge only said "I’ve generally preferred LCDs to OLEDs, but the X’s OLED display doesn’t seem to share any of the extreme oversaturation or pixel matrix weirdness of other OLEDs I’ve seen."

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. FWIW I've never looked closely at a modern, high dpi pentile OLED display so I'm not sure if it would really be a problem, let alone deal breaker. Low dpi pentile OLEDs look like trash, though.
Yeah really won't be able to tell until the phone releases how it actually looks, though from the high res images posted by serialiphoneuser it pretty much looks confirmed it is pentile. I really just wanted to see if others had the same opinion of pentile oled not looking as good as a theoretically lower resolution standard RGB LCD, and if for others that would be a deal breaker on a $/£/€ 1,000 phone. Like I say it's not a horrific offront to ones eyes, but neither is it unnoticeable, and when paying absolute top dollar for a device I think it's fair such a characteristic of a screen technology might put you off spending that money. If it is approx the same as the Lumia 930 I owned, it's going to be a lot more subtle than early ones, but still there and kinda 'grating' once you know it's there and what you're looking at. Guess best to erase this thread and all knowledge of how oleds work from your mind and just enjoy the phone if you're really looking forward to it otherwise!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Guess best to erase this thread and all knowledge of how oleds work from your mind and just enjoy the phone if you're really looking forward to it otherwise!

Too late for that, I guess. :D My new crazy plan is to pre-order as planned but go to an Apple store before opening the package to take a veeeery close look at the display and compare (to an 8 Plus). ;)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Too late for that, I guess. :D My new crazy plan is to pre-order as planned but go to an Apple store before opening the package to take a veeeery close look at the display and compare (to an 8 Plus). ;)
Ah, well make sure you don't forget your jewelers loupe :D I guess some of the other characteristics of the tech like the much deeper blacks and good off-axis colours will be welcome whatever - it'd be nice if Apple and Samsung, LG, sharp? etc could work together to try and find a way around the blue subpixel life span issue that necessitates pentile, that's probably the last major drawback of the tech at this point - per some tech review sites I've read it's now cheaper than LCD because you don't have to manufacture the discrete sheets and bind them together, but rather it's a process similar to 3D printing for oleds

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Ah, well make sure you don't forget your jewelers loupe :D

No way, I won't look that close. :D If it looks fine (i.e. not grainy or fuzzy) to the/my naked eye, I won't dig any deeper and just enjoy the damn (expensive) thing. If I win the pre-order lottery, that is … ;)

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
what i'm wondering is, how good OLED screens still are after like 1,2,3,4 and 5 years.
because displaymate and other reviewers always test the devices when they are new. but it would be interesting to see how accurate and bright they still are after a few years of use.

Reactions: ABC5S

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The size of that layout leads me to believe it’s PenTile. Again, no full conclusions drawn. Have to wait till people get the devices. If it’s PenTile I will be very disappointed.

It could be diamond PenTile, just to clarify. We shall see soon enough...

Reactions: Jetcat3

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
There are so many things wrong with that video I just can't even... Not just because he continues to show a fake mock-up with the white surround.

Anyway, 1200 nits? Who cares? Why would I want my battery life to be THAT compromised? Has anyone complained about phone brightness with the iPhone 7 lines? No? Color me shocked. That's because it's MORE than bright enough.

It really is hilarious how quick people are to judge so many things on iPhone X.

On the positive side, the more that people try to make themselves not want one, the easier it gets for me to get one on launch day.

Hey WilliamG, everythingapplepro is total apple fan. He made his life out of apple. I see most of his videos and he praises apple most of the time. After keynote when i saw his new video he was so disappointed that he was almost crying. The only feature of X which I don't like is notch every thing is fine, price is high but it must be a quality product. If the display is similar to s8+ than i am sure most people will love it.
[doublepost=1505643303][/doublepost]
It could be diamond PenTile, just to clarify. We shall see soon enough...

If apple is charging that much than it must be best display apple could get and available in the market. Apple knows if people wont like the product then there will be tons and tons of returns. It will hurt apple in stock market too.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
and just to add something else to the mix, here's the layout from the apple watch. it actually has three subpixels for each pixel.. but i guess it needs to, since it only has a PPI value of 326.

hZuEjWV.jpg
Ah that's interesting, I know there are oleds that do use RGB, but they tend to be lower density with big subpixels - looks like they have found a clever way of making the blue bigger while retaining the square full pixels too - I will have to look at an Apple Watch display to see how much better this looks

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I’d say it’s a non-issue. I compared my Oneplus One and 3 side by side and at 1080p could not notice any relevant difference between the IPS and AMOLED displays when it comes to clarity. The iPhone X should be fine.
[doublepost=1505645268][/doublepost]

That kind of brightness becomes mostly relevant only for watching HDR videos. Being able to go over 1000 nits is a plus for that.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Seriously? This is a normal effect of using a digital camera to take a screen shot of a screen! It is known as moiré.

From wiki's page on moiré:
in digital photography, a pattern on an object being photographed can interfere with the shape of the light sensors to generate unwanted artifacts.

Sorry to disappoint you, but, there is no such thing as cross-hatch gate.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Seriously? This is a normal effect of using a digital camera to take a screen shot of a screen! It is known as moiré.

That's different, but you can see the sub pixel layout in the shot appears to be pentile where you have an odd number of different size/ shaped subpixels, not 3 RGB strips making up one square pixel...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't understand the complaints.
Prior to iPhone X - why doesn't Apple use OLED, its the future.
iPhone X - why is Apple using OLED, its crap compared to what they have now.

I've not heard one person complain about the samsung S8's screens, I'm sure if I google it, I can find someone complaining but my point is that its a gorgeous screen and apple is embracing the future, errr ummm present, since OLED is has been used for some time. The iPhone X's DPI and resolution are so high, I think complaints about a pentile matrix being used is unfounded and misplaced, especially since people haven't even been able to buy the phone yet.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I don't understand the complaints.
Prior to iPhone X - why doesn't Apple use OLED, its the future.
iPhone X - why is Apple using OLED, its crap compared to what they have now.

I've not heard one person complain about the samsung S8's screens, I'm sure if I google it, I can find someone complaining but my point is that its a gorgeous screen and apple is embracing the future, errr ummm present, since OLED is has been used for some time. The iPhone X's DPI and resolution are so high, I think complaints about a pentile matrix being used is unfounded and misplaced, especially since people haven't even been able to buy the phone yet.
Complaining or raising a perfectly valid point about a characteristic of the screen whilst fully acknowledging that I haven't yet seen the device in person? If the forum isn't for discussing this sort of issue then what is it for? I have experience with a similar type of panel on another phone, I found that I preferred the LCD on the iPhone plus line, I posted to see if anyone else agreed. Some do, some don't, all PoVs accommodated and given equal air time... don't think that amounts to complaining but discussing what could potentially be a hitch for someone who is planning on spending $/£/€1,000 on this device. Sorry but really unable to see the problem here.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I’d say it’s a non-issue. I compared my Oneplus One and 3 side by side and at 1080p could not notice any relevant difference between the IPS and AMOLED displays when it comes to clarity. The iPhone X should be fine.
[doublepost=1505645268][/doublepost]

That kind of brightness becomes mostly relevant only for watching HDR videos. Being able to go over 1000 nits is a plus for that.

Yes, and if this were a TV, I might care (but not that much. My LG OLED C7 can’t hit 1,000 nits, but is still considered one of the best TVs for HDR).
[doublepost=1505662063][/doublepost]

I’ll just say....nope. We’re not talking about moire here.
[doublepost=1505662156][/doublepost]
Rene Ritchie said the screen is a diamond PenTile.

https://twitter.com/reneritchie/status/909435442877145089

Good to hear. Well, at least better to hear than it being just standard PenTile. Still, part of me hoped Apple really did something new regarding the pixel structure.

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.