Potential new bumper type case the Slimline

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Knowimagination, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Thinkoutloud macrumors newbie

It seems to stick out just enough to protect the buttons.

2. Thinkoutloud macrumors newbie

I can't imagine the mould for this being cheap. Seems to be 2 materials combined to create this.

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

True. For a $13 bumper, I guess that isn't bad, its just the wait. I'm sure they'll get funded though once the word keeps spreading.

4. jcliden macrumors member

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Here's a link to their website. Slimline Website

Just updating that they're nearly $1000 away from reaching their goal.

I'm pretty excited about this case. Give it a go. :cool:

6. IAmTroll, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

IAmTroll macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Yes..Uncomfortable :p

Edit:Some screenshots I took while watching the video.

Attached Files:

7. christof macrumors 6502

They received funding, so I backed it. I've been looking for an affordable and minimal bumper that provides access to the SIM tray.

8. WuMyster macrumors regular

I like the way it compliments the iPhone but I reckon the lip is a bit too much. I can see it getting in the way of the side keys on the keyboard "q, a, z"

9. Radiating macrumors 65816

It doesn't get in the way of anything.

It may be a little uncomfortable to hold though.

Anyone else think that they should make this in 100% transparent silicone rubber?

10. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Decided to go in at $30 to get one in black or white and one in red or blue.

11. IAmTroll macrumors newbie

Probably since it primarily covers the edges but maybe not.. Only time will tell. Check out the pics above.

12. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

This case looks great and I am a backer, but I wonder at the durability of the construction. If there are only small side pieces keeping the front and back connected, wouldn't that be unstable or easy to pull apart?

Just trying to get my head around the design.

We'll just have to wait and see..

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I had the same attitude, but apparently they're combining to materials which will make it durable and flexible.

"SLIMLINE will be manufactured in the United States of the highest quality materials. The solid frame will be fabricated with durably flexible polycarbonate, while over molded with the shock absorbing polyurethane. Both materials are a perfect match to achieve the level of quality we demand of this product."

Since they're already funded, they should have some more testing done soon and more pictures to show us. Like you said though..all we can do is wait. :(

14. gametime10 macrumors regular

15. christof macrumors 6502

I received this message from the seller regarding the flexibility of Alumide material bumpers:

"Alumide is a plastic material fill with aluminum particule (it's a composite). With polished finition it's more smooth. However this is less flexible.

I advise you strong and flexible material (in polished finition) or the ultra forted material for the best resolution (very smooth and transparent) if you want you're bumper transparent.

With this material it will not scratch you iphone.

Loïc"

16. Knowimagination thread starter macrumors 65832

Knowimagination

According to the slimline guys if you want to order the shapeways case you better do it quick because they have contacted their patent attorneys over it.

17. gametime10 macrumors regular

I ordered the Minimal Bumper from Shapeways. I've uploaded some pictures. It looks really sweet! Love the minimalistic aesthetic. The lip protects the phone when it lies flat. However, some negatives which will keep it from being my main case:

- The material is not grippy enough. It won't keep the phone from sliding when I have it laying down.
    - The case needs one more anchor holding the frame together on both sides. The frame slides inward when you hold the phone.

I'm not sure if the Slimline bumper will address these concerns, but if it works, it's a good looking alternative.

If someone doesn't mind these concerns, and would like to give this bumper a try, send me a message, and you can have this one at cost.

Attached Files:

18. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Sick! If a similar bumper comes out that addresses this problem, I'm totally getting it.

19. 2k2tii macrumors newbie

I just got mine as well, but in black. If anyone wants it let me know.

20. Trunks888 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I ordered a black one too but i didn't receive yet, can you post picture of it please ? There is really a problem of anchor one the black one ?
    Thanks

21. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I purchased 2 from Shapeways. They both broke while installing. Crappy product. Brittle, weak, and I also had the problem with the sides folding forward over the front and back.

I hope the Slimline is more flexible and durable.

I cannot recommend Shapeways slim case.

22. Trunks888 macrumors newbie

Exactly the same..
    Someone has news about Slimline Case ?

23. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

The creators said the Slimline is flexible. They confirmed this because a backer asked if the case was compatible with screen protectors.

24. whoRichard macrumors newbie

whoRichard

It looks damn good, but my only concern is lint getting caught between the two rubber pieces and how durable it'll end up being.

25. Knowimagination thread starter macrumors 65832

Knowimagination

Well I think after this one I won't be backing anymore products like this on kickstarter. Everything gets pushed back and we will be lucky to see this case by March at this rate. At least I might be able to use it for 5 or 6 months before the next iPhone comes out. :p