Potential switcher getting twitchy about glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brendanrtw, Jul 30, 2009.

1. brendanrtw macrumors newbie

I do a lot of music editing and mixing, so I've been drooling over the new 15" MBP for the last few weeks, but I'm a bit worried about all the negative press surrounding the glossy screen. OK, it seems the consensus is ideally there would be a matt option, but their ain't (yet?), and I still want a Mac!

I'll mostly be using it at home where I'll have some control over lighting, but obviously it's a portable so I don't want to have it house-bound.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and see how it goes, and if it a real issue, use some anti-glare film.

Has anyone used film on the new MBP with any success?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its not as bad as it seems.. its not THAT bad.. when you are directly infront of it it doesnt really become an issue. thats my opinion anyway.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Negative press about glare? :eek: Meh, I think the only negative comments are on forums like here - where a select group of people that can never be pleased like to whine. I'm sitting in front of a MBP 15-inch right now and glare is not an issue at all :cool:

4. nastebu macrumors 6502

Have you looked at a Macbook Pro? Did the glare bother you? If it did, you probably shouldn't buy it. If it didn't, you probably shouldn't let a bunch of random people on the internet convince you it should bother you.

5. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I think it's always down to personal opinion. For me, I love the glossy screens, I find they do seem to look much more vibrant. The only way to tell is to use one, go to the Apple Store and play around with it or use a friends if they have one.

For what it's worth, I'm switching from PC to Mac this month and will be getting a MBP and I'm not even thinking about the glare.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the display for the MBPs are absolutely awesome. I too was concerned about the glossy display (I guess who hasn't been) but looking at the computers at the apple store - worst case scenerio because of the lighting. The displays were great. Got mine home and it looked even better.

The only piece of advice is to consider how you will have your office set up, if you will have a window or strong light at your back, you will see your reflection more so then if you faced the otherway.

7. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

Everyone seems to be really concerned with the glare. I don't understand this - I moved from a Powerbook G4, and have a Cinema Display 23" - both fantastic matte(!) screens. I quite like the reflective screen - it's really nice! I can believe it when Apple say focus groups prefer it - everything really pops. I think the majority are being silent here. The screen's so bright, you don't see the reflections enough to bother you - even in direct sunlight!

But even if the reflective screen bugs the absolute **** out of you - the rest of the Mac experience will more than counter that. If you're looking to switch, just ignore everyone and do it - reflective screen or not. You can always get a coating if you hate it. Just do it - you'll love it!

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The 17" offers an anti-glare screen CTO. Hopefully the next generation of MBPs will offer this same option.

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Screw the matte screen. I had one on my old Macbook Pro and I didn't like it. If given the option for the matte and glossy screen I would choose the glossy screen again in a heart beat.

10. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I think there are upsides and downsides to both, as with anything. I've only been bothered a couple of times with the gloss, but I just move to a different couch in the living room if that happens. Not that big a deal.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's really not bad at all. If you were doing visual editing constantly it might be an annoyance. Like it's been said it's a BTO option on the 17" and there are third party vendors that offer it for the 15" and 13" at a hefty price.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I work on my computer in bright locations, not in a cave. If I wanted a mirror, I'd buy one, but I want a laptop ;)

13. andrew12090 macrumors member

I just bought my first mac and it is a 13 mbp and I absolutely love the screen! I thought it might be a problem but it hasn't been so far

14. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I'm really happy with the glossy display of my 13" MBP. The display is crisp with good contrast, and the colors have a good level of saturation. I don't notice the reflections unless I look for them. I've had matte LCD panels before, and I now prefer glossy. It comes down to personal preference.

15. 1ne macrumors regular

The chance of me taking my Macbook outside is super slim. That's why I went with the glossy screen.

In addition, I like it in my office 'caused I used it for a mirror to see who is walking behind me. :rolleyes: :D

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Even the anti-glare outside is still not fun.

17. andrew12090 macrumors member

I was outside earlier in my back yard and was on my new mbp and in the direct sun and I could see fine. But bear in mind, it was on max brightness but still.

18. pnyc macrumors 6502

Glare? What glare?

Attached Files:

19. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm a professional musician, and I spend HOURS at the computer daily on my 15" MBP. No issues whatsoever. It's a phenomenal machine.

20. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

No issues here :cool:

Sitting in front of a late 08 uMBP. I have owned it since release day and I have written a whole dissertation on it in a brightly light uni library.

I now use it for 6-8 hours every day to search for a job and for recreation. I love the screen. I am sat side on to a large bay window and only have an issue 1% of the time.

Obviously its personal, at the end of the day if you don't like it, whatever we say wont help. However if you are undecided or havnt seen one then the chances are you wont have a problem.

On a side note films look fantastic on this screen!

21. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yup. I DON'T notice it. In the Apple Store, it gave me a headache, but at home, even in direct sunlight like right now (ahhh, naturally lit house!), it does not bother me one bit. And I have very sensitive eyes, like on really sunny days, I get headaches due to the intense light. The glossy screen is underrated. It gives colors a pop and I highly recommend it.:)

22. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yup, there's a mighty glare if you are using your laptop with it facing sideways. Very common way of usage: doing work while facing the silhouette of your Mac (ahem, sarcasm here).

Face it directly towards you and you'll have no problem whatsoever. :)

23. JGruber macrumors 6502

I sit in front of a 24" LED 8 hours a day, and I wouldn't imaging going back to ANYTHING non-glossy. Color depth is insane, absolutely love it! I also have the Glossy screen on my 17" uMBP.

I do a lot of web design and Photography, and the colors are dead on.

24. Incision macrumors newbie

I had the 17" Aluminum MacBook Pro. Then when the new MacBook Pro Family came out and the only option was a glass screen it was a deal breaker for me. Finally when the new 17" models came out and they had matte i was so relieved, went out and upgraded.

I feel that the people who "B***h" about the screen are completely justified. I see my friends uMBP and the glare on those things is absolutley terrible, no matter what light that i am trying to use it in. When i am working on a computer i dont want to see whats behind me i want to see whats on screen ;)

I guess what im saying in a long winded explanation is that the glare was a big enough problem i had to custom order a matte.:D

25. pnyc macrumors 6502

Oh my god! You were right! Here it is facing me directly! No glare whatsoever! Thanks for solving the glare problem for me!

Attached Files: