Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
So i just recently purchased the 13 inch Macbook Air. I also own a 17 inch MBP that comes with the 85W mag safe power adapter, whereas the one provided with the MBA is a 45W mag safe adapter - my question is can the they both be used interchangeably and will using the 85W adapter on my MBA cause any damage to the battery by overcharging it too rapidly? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of Apple other than saying they would recommend using the appropriate adapter that was provided with the computer. I don't really want to carry around two chargers....any feedback is appreciated

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
if I were you, I'd leave the air's 45W adapter permanently in a travel bag specifically for the air and buy one or two extra 85W adapters and leave them plugged in around the house. Makes life awfully convenient, pretty much wherever you see a magsafe charger in your house, you can charge your macbook :D Yeah, I'm that lazy!

I even junked all my ipod 5W chargers and simply stick to iPad 10W chargers for my iOS charging needs...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You can use both of them, the 45W adapter will charge the MBP slower though.

Please don't use the 45 Watt adapter with the MBP 17", and definitely not to charge + use it simultaneously. You seriously risk overheating the adapter. 85W adapter with MacBook Air is no problem.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
if I were you, I'd leave the air's 45W adapter permanently in a travel bag specifically for the air and buy one or two extra 85W adapters and leave them plugged in around the house. Makes life awfully convenient, pretty much wherever you see a magsafe charger in your house, you can charge your macbook :D Yeah, I'm that lazy!

I even junked all my ipod 5W chargers and simply stick to iPad 10W chargers for my iOS charging needs...

I use a similar setup. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.