Power button doesn't work on Iphone 5..will apple replace it if I take it in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by The Game 161, Aug 25, 2013.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I bought it orginally in december and for some reason the power button doesn't always work. The contract is with vodafone so if I take it into the store would apple just replace it and give me a new replacement at all? which would be ideal as I plan to sell it and selling it new would be better.

or would i need to go to vodafone as thats where i got it from orginally via new contract.

2. LadyX, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013

LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I'm having the same issue, and if you search you'll see that a lot of iPhone 5 users too. The power button on my iPhone 5 doesn't work properly, it only works when I press on the left side. I didn't get it fixed as I'm dumping my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Apple will replace it since it's still under warranty. They service the iPhone even if you bought it from a carrier.

4. The Game 161, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013

The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do I need to take it in with the box e.t.c it came with?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm pretty sure they just replace the button in store for you, so no need to take anything other than the phone.

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Make an appointment to meet with a Genius at the Genius bar in your local store.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

You'll get a white box replacment if they're still doing them and won't need your existing accessories or box.

That's how I've done things when my iPhones went wrong.

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If its a quick fix they'll usually repair it in store. I've always gotten refrubs though. Either way all you need to bring is the phone because if they replace the phone all you'll get is the phone anyway.

8. Sebct macrumors regular

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

cheers..i'm hoping they replace it so i get everything in the box.

----------

well hopefully they just give me a new phone in a new box.

would they just wipe all my info off it in store then?

----------

tried booking an appointment but nothing available till 30th august.

would i get my phone fixed without a genius appointment?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

They'll give you a warranty replacement phone. It comes in a reusable box by itself - no cables, power adapters, etc.

The phone they give you will likely contain refurbished parts inside, but the exterior shell and battery should be brand new. It will come in shrink wrap and you shouldn't be able to tell that it isn't 100% all new parts.

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

You can erase everything before you go if you want. If you don't the genius will have you erase it while you're there.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They definitely will not give you a new phone in a new box. They’ll give you a refurb phone and they’ll keep the box. The box will have just the phone in any event - no manuals or earbuds. And I believe the serial number will also indicate it’s a refurb, not new.

They will wipe the phone - or if I recall correctly, they’ll tell you what to do and have you do it. That way you’re sure it’s done, and you can’t come back and say they wiped it without your permission.

13. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

right ok, wasn't sure if i would need to wait to show him first before erasing everything.

do i certainly need an appointment to get this done? as they have nothing til next friday.

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Any Apple store I've ever been to has always been busy. I would recommend making an appointment but it isn't required. If you don't you'll have to wait longer.

15. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

will go in either monday or tuesday and wait if possible...

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There is an iPhone forum...

Anyway, reported it to the mods, they should be moving this thread soon.

17. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

back in January, I had my phone replaced under warranty for this. However, recently, my friend had brought his in for the same thing and they chose to fix it instead of swap the whole phone. Now that the phone has been out longer, the parts and repair training may be more plentiful now. This allows for fixing the issue vs total replacement devices. So I guess it could go either way.

18. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

19. shaun319 macrumors member

I just took my phone into the apple store for the same problem. They replaced the phone, not just the switch. It worked out for me because my battery was also not working well. Apparently, they just replace to phone when the on/off button is broken.

I also have apple care +.

20. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yes I had mine replaced a couple months ago for the same reason. It's a common issue with the iPhone 5.

They will give you a new phone, they can't repair the sleep/wake button in store.

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

When mine wasn't working they gave me a white box phone. YMMV

22. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I took mine on january for the same thing and got a replacement phone, took it back last month for the same thing (again) and got yet another replacement, so you will probably get a replacement and you don't need to take your accessories with you.

23. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

How are you pretty sure about something that is a known thing that Apple doesn't do at all? Where do you get your info on this?

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

They could do either or. I had my phone replaced entirely and my friend had his button fixed. Not sure what determines it.

25. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I've never heard of a repair for the sleep/wake button, Apple themselves said that there is no repair for the sleep wake button. Where is your info coming from?