Power Mac G5 with 6x Monitors... WTF?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LAHegarty, Jun 6, 2017.

1. LAHegarty macrumors member

LAHegarty

So I'm looking to setup my Power Mac G5 with 6 monitors, has anyone done this?

I already have 2 of the standard 256MB PCI-E Dual DVI graphics card's that will output 4 displays, I would like to add one more card so I can have the hole 6x monitors, has anyone done this YO, YO, YO?!

Why do you ask? Why not!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, you aren't crazy.

I was doing it with a Quicksilver G4 as well.

But in this setup, Radeon X1900XT and two NVIDIA 6600s.

I have a 2.3DC that also has three cards (Quadro FX and two 6600s). I just don't have the displays yet to hook the rest up.

2017-06-04 13.53.49.png Finder.png

As to why…well it's double the amount of monitors my MacPro at work has. :D

3. LAHegarty thread starter macrumors member

LAHegarty

Cha-CHING! :]

Awesome, though it would work but couldn't find anything on Google... Just ordered the 3rd card and the DVI cables :D

Photos or maybe a video to come.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, it works. In fact if you wanted to blow off other stuff you could do eight. Both in a G4 and a G5.

I just never did eight because I just don't have the use for it. It would simply be two additional displays.

Not sure powerwise that my G4 would have handled it though. I had that thing pushed to it's limits with what I had.

G5s handle it better.

PS, @bunnspecial has a Mac II that he's loaded up with vidcards and pushes six displays. Think about that. A 1987 Mac using six displays. ;)

PPS, if you click on the link in my signature where it says "6 displays" there's another pic. :)