Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diggity1011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
We are all aware of the fact that Mac Os X 7 Lion no longer supports the power pc format, but is there a way I can run this program without completely altering my new pro?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If it shipped with Lion, that's the oldest OS that can be used with it. Sorry, you're out of luck with a PPC app. You'll have to keep a SL (or earlier) machine around (or even an actual PPC). The other option, of course, is to try and find an Intel/Universal replacement for the app (or at least its functionality).

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It would be nice if Apple would allow Parallels to virtualize non-server Snow Leopard - then we could still run PPC apps.

If you have a new MBP, they can likely still go back to Snow Leopard; remember they were shipping with Snow Leopard before Lion was shipped. I have a 13" MBP from May 2011, and there have been no hardware changes since then. You might try getting a firewire external and installing Snow Leopard on the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.