Power pc g5. imac on thin ice. Turning off any diagnostic software please?? Many thanks.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by apples22, Nov 29, 2016.

1. apples22, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

apples22 macrumors newbie

Good morning I am flipping out over my Power pc g5. imac !!
    My computer is on the fritz, my better laptop a macbook air crashed
    and I am in a panic as I am no where near any computers other than this one. I just backed everything up though.
    I am running disk utility and wondering please if there are any diagnostic programs to get. Is there anything I can download?
    I am nowhere near a repair shop and don't have the money to bring it in right now. I ran disk utility but don't have any others or know of any.

The problems I noticed past few days or week was, it started to run very slow, especially browsing the web, just playing music on youtube or something and the pages are crawling so incredibly slow. It was just the web that was slow, not the computer.
    It was running fine but then past few days it just turned off in the night past few nights, it was not a sleep function that I set, it just turned off. Then this morning it wouldn't start, I had to really press the power button on and hold it many times, it sort of had this little digital crunch sound, thank the universe it just turned on and then powered on fine and even saved some stuff I was writing yesterday. I don't think it will last too long but what can I do? I am running some work projects off of this and need to keep it up if possible.

I'm using this one until I can restore back my newer laptop or get another macbook air. I love these older macs but I guess they always could be on the fritz.

Should I keep it on, turn it off? Maybe I don't have a choice. It was turning off past few days at night, and turned back on fine, I thought it was fishy.

Thanks in advance! Don't have money for a new computer right now.

Could the browser be the problem, should I stop using it? (tenfourfox) It was the only browser that works though. icab was always crashing.
    I guess any diagnostic software could tell me this, I don't know of any.
    I only bought this because I didn't have a lot of money to buy a newer one. Does it need new version of tenfourfox?

Just turned it back on and seems to be running fine and it even saved some writing I didn't save, text edit pulled it back up.

If it turns off again should I reboot it in anyway not to crunch the machine?

Why is it so slow just to play some music online anything to do?

I am doing my writing and running my business on this computer right now, walking on thin ice!

I also wonder if there is a way to surf the web in black and white or without all the graphics and flash. It is so slow it drives me crazy. I lived for a year in a rural town once without wi-fi and I can't remember that anymore.

Is it the fan? The computer gets too hot, there was some fan monitoring program maybe I should turn it off more often

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Can you figure out how to upload a video of the noise? It might be the hard drive inside of the machine.

3. Hack5190, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

4. Hrududu, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

TechTool Delux (Now TechTool Pro) has always been a favorite of mine. Which G5 iMac is it? I'll be honest with you, if it's one of the original or ambient light sensor models (the ones without the built in iSight) it's a machine that is pretty well known for failure. The logic board could very well have some failing capacitors that are creating strange problems like a bad chime sound, not booting or just running really slowly. These systems also had power supplies that tended to fail.

5. apples22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Computer is working fine now my panic is over
    Thank you for posting what you did!
    I know they don't last forever but it works for now.

It's not turning off at night any more and I ran the disk utility. Is there anything else to run? This list is so long.

It doesn't have webcam, I don't know what isight is.

6. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

The iSight is Apple's name for their lines of webcams, including the ones they put in the displays. Which yours doesn't have, so yours is an earlier model.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Next time you power it off, pop off the back cover (loosen the 3 screws on the bottom and lift off the back) and give a nice look over. Take some canned air or use an air compressor to blow out the dust from the fans and around the board. Check out the capacitors on the motherboard and see if you have some that are bulging on the top or have popped open. If so, there is your problem.

Attached Files: