Power Support HD Anti-Glare

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sovereign, May 3, 2012.

1. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm using one made for the ipad 2 right now on my new iPad. I just ordered this one and will post back when I get it.

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

4. sovereign thread starter macrumors 6502

sovereign

My question is: has anyone used the newly released HD film designed specifically for the Retina display?

5. SiftWinnow macrumors member

I just got mine. Ordered it right when the e-mail came out a few days ago. I had the previous version on my iPad2, and waited for this new "HD" version for my iPad3.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference. If it was improved, the difference is imperceptible. It also seems like the overall cut/shape of the film doesn't fit quite as well. It's a touch on the long side and I had a heck of a time getting it centered. YMMV.

Still not sure what I am going to do. Even this film degrades the clarity quite a bit, but I really like the fingerprint and smudge resistance--especially considering how much my kids use it. I might remove it or possibly request an exchange for the crystal. For the added cost, the HD version should be clearer than the previous version.

6. xStatiCa macrumors regular

I don't see any difference in the product description from the ipad 2 to the ipad 3 so I am assuming there is no difference in the materials of the two. I use the PS anti-glare on my iphone 4 though and don't mind how that looks. The ipad 3 has a lower pixel density so it should look even better on the ipad 3. Ordering one today.

7. xStatiCa, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

xStatiCa macrumors regular

I asked PowerSupport directly about the differences between the ipad 3 and ipad 2 anti-glare film and the new ipad 3 film is different than the ipad 2 anti-glare film. I also asked about the difference between the ipad 2 and iphone 4. They responded...

My questions...

2 questions...

1. Was there a change in the material going from the ipad 2 to the
    ipad 3 anti-glare films? It took awhile for the ipad 3 version to
    become available so I am wondering what was changed.

2. I am using an anti-glare on my iphone 4 and on my existing ipad 2.
    It appears the iphone 4 protector is a better quality than the ipad 2
    version. Are there any material differences between the two?

Thier response but I added a (4) and (2) to make it clear that I also asked about the ipad 2 and iphone 4 film differences too.

I ordered the powersupport ipad 3 film today.

If anyone wants to send me a sample from another cheaper screen protector before I put this one on I can get some macro pics to compare the difference. It doesn't have to be a full piece. It could be one that you messed up and only part of it is still good. I only need to put it on part of the screen to get a picture of one area.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

Got mine today. First it took the old iPad 2 antiglare off and just put it on half of the screen and took a look. I could see some degradation but not much. I could see that the brightness was less though.

Then I played with it naked just so I could remember what it looked like without any screen protector. I admit here that, for me, I immediately missed the feel of the protector. It definately makes scrolling easier. My finger slides much, much easier with the protector.

So I put the new one on. I think it makes a little difference. I turned my brightness down to almost 30% rather than my usual 50%. As for clarity, I really can't see a lot of difference.

I of course like antiglare protectors. But if I had know the difference was as slight as it seems, I probably would have just stayed with the first one I bought just as the new iPad came out. But the battery saving (due to the lesser brightness settings) may be worth it. Can't tell for a few days.

All in all, if you like screen protectors is is a good one. Screen looks great, no fingerprints, no glare. I'm happy.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The only perceivable difference is the price, I'm afraid. To be honest, I've always used an AG PS on my ipad, but since I got a 3, I decided to go without. No matter how "HD" they make it, it will still degrade the clarity of the screen and let's face it, that's the main improvement from 2 to 3. I just keep a micro fiber handy to clean the smudges, which are still annoying, but not so much.

----------

How does a screen film save the battery? Please explain.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

Uh, as I stated I originally had the iPad 2 version. The newer version doesn't make the screen quite as dark so I turned my brightness down to about 30% from 50%. That is resulting in a savings for me.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Would love to know if someone has used the SGP ultra fine on the new ipad 3 and what they think of the distortion.

12. vazquez1085 macrumors member

I still have the iPad2 HD antiglare from Power Support....anyone else buy the ipad3 antiglare that can give a quick review if its worth the upgrade??

13. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I would switch from my Zagg HD to this, but everytime I put a PS HD on my iPhone, I end up taking it off because I notice the screen degradation.

14. MSampson, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

MSampson macrumors member

I had the PS iPad2 HD antiglare on my iPad 3. After I saw this thread I ordered the new one. I put it on this morning. I do think that it looks better with the new one rather than the old one. It's not an enormous difference but it definitely seemed brighter and I think a tiny bit sharper. I'm thrilled because I had a few tiny specks of dust under the old one and I managed to get the new one on perfectly straight and dust free. Because of the dust under the old one I had been toying with the idea of a new one so it was easy to justify the purchase. If your old one is on perfect you may not see $30 worth of improvement.