power support screen protector bought through amazon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ayres, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ayres macrumors regular

hi all, so a few days ago, i purchased a power support hd anti-glare protector for my ipad2. i used amazon, and in fact, purchased it from a vendor through amazon. it arrived, and was not what i was expecting. i obviously did not review the item well enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Support...EJQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320721548&sr=8-1

instead of the typical power support packaging, it was in a gray packaging covered in japanese text. see the item photo in the amazon link provided.

has this happened to anyone else? is it in fact a power support product? or is it something different? i've written the seller to inquire about it, but i want to check in at this forum, too.

cheers,

2. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue with my iPhone power support protector I bought from amazon. Power support said it is an unauthorized reseller or something of the sort. Quality is still good (it was the same price with amazons free shipping) however it is an oil magnet. I have to wipe it constantly. This is my first "power support" protector, so I'm not sure if they do collect as much oil as mine does.

I believe I still have the packaging so let me try and find it and confirm this for you.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Be careful when shopping from resellers on Amazon.

4. MallCop macrumors 6502

Yeah I wouldn't buy from sellers other then amazon on amazon. To me it's worse than eBay.

5. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I ordered it too. It came in Japanese writing. I think it might be legit since the website on there is actual power support just in japan. I returned mine and will be ordering form power support USA just to be safe

6. MallCop macrumors 6502

Usually something written in a foreign language and sold in the US doesn't fare well for it being genuine.

7. knoxtown macrumors 6502

That is actually the original packaging. I went and visited Power Support's store here in Burbank, and most of the stuff are in those packages. Since they come directly from Japan, then don't repackage them all with the green USA packaging.

8. Uln4321 macrumors regular

true but power support was founded in japan and if you go to the website it says on the gry packaging that is the real powers support japan.

9. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

so an update...

i called power support usa, and confirmed with someone that this gray and black packaging with japanese text is in fact a power support product.

not that it is the original packaging, but she said that it was a screen protector intended for the japanese market that made its way over here.

she said it is quite common for this to happen with small vendors.

i'll do a follow up once more when find the time to get it installed.

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I would probably be pretty interested in an anti-glare screen protector if I knew that it wasn't going to detract at all, or as little as possible, from the screen quality. My impression of anti-glare films isn't all that great, as I'm with the idea that it gives screens a sort of visual "texture" that's not entirely favorable.
    If the original poster or anyone else could comment on whether or not this specific cover takes away from the image quality at all, then that could be greatly appreciated.

11. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

I would not say that it does not detract at all, but from the power support on my iPhone, I can say that they are really great. Rather than have a visual side affect (such as texturing, etc), I think it every so slightly dims the screen - like the way a polarizing filter stops down a camera lens. The plus is that you see almost no oil buildup on the screen. Of course, a phone is different. It's in my pocket, it's in my palm... it's not in the cleanest of environments. Keeping an iPad in a case, it may be unnessesary to even have a screen protector.

12. LMD75 macrumors 6502

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

^^ WOW that is expensive. They are literally £6-9 in the US

14. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'm not finding the anti-glare PowerSupport screens anywhere online for under $30. I think that I want to give one a try, since reviews and mention of them seem to keep saying that they're the best brand, and that it doesn't make the screen… less clear, by too much a degree.

Is it safe to say that this might be the brand to go with? I've seen some mention (I think it was in a YouTube video review) that they have this brand in the Apple store. I don't see this brand for the iPad on Apple's website (they've other screen covers from PowerSupport though) but I thought I might check there tomorrow.

15. juliuspierpont macrumors member

I also got one of the packages with Japanese writing on it. It installed the same as my other PS films and has worked well. I was initially suspicious like the OP, but it seems to be genuine. It has the same texture and feel as PS films in the regular packaging. I've gotten some of the cheapo ones off of eBay before, and they were vastly inferior, and obviously different material. Gave up on them right away and tossed 'em.

16. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, you will not find a new one under thirty. That's the going rate. As for apple's store, keep in mind that they do not approve of screen protectors on iPads. But for smaller devices, yes, they carry power support, which is how I initially learned of power support.

Get one, they're great... Though the sensation is different from apples glass, power support protectors have almost no friction, and months can pass before you feel inclined to clean them since build up and smudges are minimal.

17. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Don't see the point of screen protectors on iPads.........

18. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up. You saved me from making a trip to check for them this afternoon. ;)

Pretty much just the points that are pointed out here and in the product's positive reviews. Makes the screen not as smudgy, it [apparently] feels good to touch, and the anti-glare aspect. For me, it would be nice to be without the otherwise unavoidable finger smudges and the marked lines that are created by the smart cover.

I'm sort of on the fence, but I probably will order one at a soon point. My only primary concern is how it will alter the look of the screen, but the YouTube video reviews make it look fine enough, and so I guess it's just a potentially well-worthwhile ~$35 gamble.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

They can be genuine, but grey market.

I don't buy from Amazon resellers if I can help it.

20. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

another head's up...

i previously wrote that the power support protectors might ever-so-slightly dim the screen...

i just took my iphone 4 (with ps protector) and my wife's iphone 4s (no protector), and compared the two. identical screen brightness and i used a photo we both have in our camera roll. there is NO loss in screen brightness.

and the advantage to the power support protector is that you are not focusing on the reflections on the screen.

----------

maybe not... but look at it this way...

it is giving the ipad the glass or no-glass option that the 15-inch mbp has.

some people prefer no glass because it is too reflective. the power support covers essentially break up the reflections coming off the devices' glass.

that is reason enough... never mind protection.

21. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I saw that a specialty Mac store in town does carry them, but I called and they're out of stock right now. I might try them later next week, and hopefully they might have an iPad around that has the protector on it. Guy on the phone recommended either this, or the Moshi anti-glare sheet - but I'd rather go with the Power Support.

I also happened to see a Marware anti-glare screen at Barnes & Nobel today at about half the price, but I haven't found any actual reviews of it, so I'd rather not risk it.

22. pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

I installed a Zagg anti-glare screen protector on my iPad 2 because it was easily available back when the iPad 2 first came out. I had misgivings about buying, especially because I had been using PowerSupport products on my iPhones for years. Zagg didn't fail to disappoint. It had a tacky texture and added a prismatic effect to my iPad 2 screen. I got used to it though.

Flash forward to last week. I discovered the PowerSupport store in Burbank. Everything in the store was packaged in the Japanese packaging. I slapped a new screen protector on my iPad 2, and it was like brand new screen! It was as if my screen was properly focused for the first time. Also, the tactile properties of the PowerSupport film are far superior to the competition and as mentioned by other, it won't pick up fingerprints very easily.

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

a lot of people have posted about the texture and visual problems with the zagg...should have done your research.

power support is OK, but if you want as good (if not better once you factor in the price/qty ratio), get the speck anti-glare shield. MSRP is $25 for two screen protectors and amazon merchants are selling them for under $10 atm. they also have just a shield w/o the anti-glare for those that want to go down that route.

24. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Dammit bufffilm, I was just preparing to order a Power Support film. People are raving about the quality and love the look and feel of it. I wish I could just see a lineup of three or four already-applied screen films and just decide right there for myself.

25. bufffilm, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

well, i can tell you the speck AG shield is the real deal. (i haven't used the non-ag shield so i'm can't vouch for that , but i would be confident that it's equally as good).

i paid $25 for the speck back in may and put it on my ipad2 immediately after unboxing the tablet. two people in my dept have ipads - one guy refuses to put anything on the screen - he's a huge apple fanboi (i don't know how he can stand the glare and all the fingerprints & smudges though). the other guy is like me and can't stand glare & smudges on the screen. and when he saw the speck shield on mine's, he was like "oh yeah, i gotta get this'. i charged him $12 for my remaining shield, so essentially it only cost me $13 to get a great protector on mine's.

it cuts down tremendously on reflections and fingerprints, cleaning the screen is as easy as putting a few drops of water on the screen and wiping it down with some toilet paper (i wipe it down maybe every 7-8 weeks) and like the powershield, your fingers glide across the screen and with no loss in screen sensitivity.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-ShieldView-Anti-Glare-Protective-IPAD-SHVW-A025MT/dp/B003EN2VJI

you can get the speck for less than $7 delivered. at that price, it's not much of a risk at all really. and if you know someone with an ipad who's not using a protector, sell 'em the other shield for $8-10 and you would have got your protector for no cost!

or i guess you can pay $30 for the powersupport. ;)