Powerbeats Pro connection dropping for anyone like the reviews say?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TJ82, Jun 6, 2019.

1. TJ82, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Two tech reviews saying the connection and dropout issues are quote 'woeful' and that you basically shouldn't buy these due to it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...id-luxury-headphones-but-arent-without-issues

https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/powerbeats-pro-review/

I've only had mine less than a day and am prepared to return them if the connection starts dropping out, especially when outdoors, on the bike, running etc with the phone in my back jersey pocket or frame case, pocket or whatever.

Anyone having issues like the reviewers? Thing I loved about AirPods 1 the most was the connection speed and how solid it was.

2. dmccombs, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

dmccombs macrumors regular

Here's my individual feedback.

I have found no issues with dropping. I use them at work in an IT department where almost everyone has devices that could interfere. When connected to my 2016 Macbook Pro, Dell Laptop, or iphone XS, I can walk ~145 feet from these devices before the connection drops. When I come back with range, the Apple devices reconnect automatically. With the Dell Laptop, I have to tell it to reconnect (in Bluetooth Settings), it's not automatic.

I also cycle. I've used it on 3 rides so far, varying in length (1 to 3.5 hours). The connection has been solid, even on windy days, and during descents up to 42mph (that's the fastest I've gone with the PBPs in). I've had no problems with connections or with them being secure in my ears.

I wonder if it is worth exchanging your set. Maybe some of the PBPs have a defect? It sounds like your iphone (device you are connecting to) is fine since it works with your Airpods.

3. TechDiva macrumors 6502

TechDiva

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I use them at work connected to my iPhone 8+ on a daily basis. I've used them while in the mall, grocery shopping, etc., to talk handsfree. I also use them in the gym (and on the trail at the park), connected to my watch 3. So, I've used them while walking, jogging, strength training, and cycling. I've never experienced any connection issues in any of those instances.

4. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Excellent, really pleased it's stable under those speeds and wind conditions. Exactly what I'm looking for. Edited my post a bit, it sounded like I was having issues but I wasn't. I was just anticipating issues because two reviewers spoke out really strong about it.

5. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

5 days now of constant use, included a pacey ride with phone in jersey pocket. No dropouts, not a single one! Super pleased so far, that was my main concern :)

6. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

There can be connection problems for Bluetooth devices if you’re in a crowded frequency space. I sometimes get issues when in busy places like public transport.

7. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

6 days in now, have used them in loads of different environments and now had any issues at all.

8. dgreening macrumors regular

No drops here. I used them for conference calls (very long ones) and no issues at all. Also, I use them in the gym and just set my phone down and move all around the gym with no issues.

9. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

Regarding the AppleInsider review, I kind of agree with this paragraph, or at least I can see where they're coming from.

10. pasadena, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

No drops for me. My experience with other buds is that it depends a lot on your environment. In my previous neighborhoods, anything bluetooth would drop like crazy when near traffic lights (of all things). Where I live now, no issue. My Jaybird Runs still drop sometimes when I wear my phone on my lower back when running. The PBP had zero drop.

11. jbarbuto macrumors newbie

Constant drops. Sometimes drops require full reset and connection back to devices. Other times, just cuts out. Do not experience this with my old air pods. Infuriating. Also, take one out of ear, it keeps playing even though out of ear. Thought they were supposed to work one at time, like my air pods. Battery died while not wearing because of this. Tried to return and exchange for new pair, but no one, including Apple store, has any in stock... I really hope that I just got a bad set.
    Otherwise sound good and stay on ear. Have worn for 1 hour without any discomfort.

12. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

No drops here. Many runs with them connected to my phone or the watch and it’s fine with both.

13. b11051973 macrumors 6502

Just posted this in the review thread. Would of put it here, but I just noticed this thread. :)

I've had mine since day one. I'm having some issues with connectivity to my iPhone.

They worked fine for a week and then the left earpiece quit connecting. I would put it back in the case, take it out, back in the case, blah, blah, blah and then it would work. I then discovered the black on black, flush mounted button in the case and reset them. This fixed my issue.

Then a week later, the right one stopped connecting. Another reset and I was back in business.

Couple days later and neither would connect. Reset and back in business.

Couple days later, the right one wouldn't connect. When I got it connected, my phone said it was at 0% charge and the case was at 13%, when it should have been in the 80s. So, for some reason, the right earpiece must have been powered up and using juice, while also pulling power from the case. Just used the left earpiece that day. Got the case and right earpiece charged, reset and back in business.

This morning, the left earpiece wouldn't connect. Reset and back in business.

Now, I use these thing every day. They work perfect like 4 out of 5 days I use them. It's just maddening they don't work every day. Has anyone heard complaints like this? I think I need to call tech support and get some replacements. They are working perfect for me other than these random connection issues.

14. maximumsportz macrumors regular

Adding my experience. Had them for about 3 weeks. I hit them gym with them almost every day in the week. Not one drop out or connection issues.

15. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Sounds like a defect. If you have an Apple Store close by, bring them in. Otherwise, call support.

16. haruhiko, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Sometimes you have to leave the Apple ecosystem to understand what's a drop in connection.

My previous totally wireless earbuds (BeoPlay E8 2.0) had:
    - constant dropouts for the left bud in random places - well, not really random, there are several places that I frequently go to which made the left earbud disconnect with unknown reasons, probably due to the Near-Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI) communication the earbuds uses;
    - static sound while listening to Podcasts;
    - huge background noise in voice calls. I needed to shout at the air to have the other side to hear me, like a maniac;

You know, to an extent that I started to blame the environment, why it is so noisy, why there is so much interference...the only thing the B&O support told me to do was to forget and re-pair the earbuds, and of course, it didn't work.

So yesterday I'm back to Apple with the PBP
    - zero dropout and disconnection in all the places that caused my previous buds to disconnect (yes, I can locate them precisely now...)
    - Perfect sound in listening to podcasts
    - No complaint of background noise from the other side

Well, to be fair, the sound quality of the BeoPlay is superb and unmatched by the PBP.
    But I really can't stand the disconnections and the voice quality. Very very disappointed.

17. b11051973 macrumors 6502

I do have Apple Stores nearby, but then I'd have to go to a mall. :)

Called tech support this morning and they are sending me a replacement. They've actually got much worse since my post. I for sure got a defective pair.