PowerBook 12" Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Justin122, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2008
    Hi all

I have a 2006 1.5 GHz PB G4 and need to replace the battery as its current health status according to coconutBattery is 21%. I found a brand new Apple one online, however the battery seems to have the same model number as one of the types that was recalled in 2005 due to shorting/overheating issues. My PB/sourced part are internationally-based. Should I go ahead and order this battery or are there better replacement options available? Thanks!
  2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

Apr 26, 2014
    Getting a NewerTech battery would be your best bet
  3. flyrod macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2015
    There isn't really such a thing. That battery would be 10+ years old, and its current condition would depend a lot on how it was stored. If it's cheap then it's worth a try. The cheap ones on ebay are generally about half capacity. I ended up re-celling an old one to get a good replacement:

4. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2008
    This looks interesting, great read. I would prefer to buy an aftermarket battery, like a NewerTech, but they've stopped producing them. Would you recommend this fix to a novice DIY-er, or just take my chances with an aftermarket?
  5. Orizence macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2014
    If you buy quality cells, you'd have much better luck with the DIY method as long as you're careful. I haven't recelled a laptop battery before, but it doesn't look too bad compared to some stuff I worked on in the past.

I say go for it