PowerBook Battery wont charge

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GeekOFComedy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I recently acquired a powerbook off of ebay, and the seller before ship confirmed that the battery held a good bit, when i got it the battery died, but heres the kicker, in OSX it says battery not charging but the cord goes orange for 10 minutes. Then when on sleep, it will do it again for another 10 minutes, but when i plug it out, the light on the latch remains to flash so it means that the batterys holding something, it just wont charge! is there a way to force it to charge? Also the led light on the battery doesn't show, so good news is DC board isn't dead right?:)

Also the mac doesn't make a chime at bootup but it works fine although ocassionally the screen muffles

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You could try to calibrate the battery:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

If your running 10.4 or later, click the :apple: in the menu bar>about this mac>more info and look for the "power" option below - or download CoconutBattery to see the same results.

If the cycles are over 300, then it's probably time to get a new battery and the person that sold you the powerbook lied.

3. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a 1.25Hz 15", It has 512MB of Memory, DVD-R, 64MB Radeon 9600, 60GB HDD,

it says battery information:

charge remaining (mAh) 0
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity: 3073
    Health information:
    Cycle Count: 0
    Condition: good
    Battery installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA) 0
    Voltage (MV) 5627

Coconut battery:

Current Battery charge: 0 mAH
    Maxium Battery charge 3073 mAh
    0%

Current battery capacity: 3073mAh
    Original Battery capacity: 4400mAh
    69%

Additional info:
    Battery-Load Cycles 0
    Age of your Mac- 71 Months
    Charger connected Yes
    Battery is charging no

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Looks like the battery isn't charging at all and something is definitely wrong with it because it's showing a 0 cycle count.

Looks like you need to buy a new battery.:(

5. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

so its only the battery.:D It wouldn't be the powercord or the DC Board in the powerbook :)

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm no Apple Certified Tech, but my bet would be on the Battery. The power cord could be a problem if it isn't pulling enough Watts. However, even if it's pulling low wattage, it should still be able to charge the battery a little and you should be getting some cycle count reading or some charge reading.

Do you know anyone else with a powerbook?
    You could try their power cord or swap out batteries - just to double check it isn't the power cord

It doesn't sound like it's the DC board at all because CoconutBattery is showing that the charger is plugged in.

7. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could it be because i use a uk 210volt plug and the brick came from americas 110volt plug. basically i used my macbook pros extender with the powerbook brick and no one else i know has one. I will just get a new battery and see whats happens, Also are those apple powerbricks reliable or do they have a tendency to burn up etc?:)

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If the powerbrick were bad, you wouldn't be able to operate the computer with it. Hopefully it's just a bad battery.

Have you gone through the Apple PMU reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

9. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried it plenty of times. Basically mine is when it's turned off press those keys wait 5 secs etc. I done it when it's green and after the 5 seconds it goes orange for another 10 minutes or if i do it while it's orange it will just go green for 5 seconds then orange again for 10 minutes and etc. basically im afraid the power cable went on fire like my ibook 3rd party black one. I just hope those powerbricks are reliable if you get me drift;)

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I wouldn't worry about the powerbrick. They're rated for 110V - 220V.

Let us know if a new battery fixes the problem.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Then probably the battery. Too bad you can't find another to stick in and make sure before you spring for one.

I have a 15" PB battery that charges, lights light, shows 73% life left but when you try and operate the computer for longer than 4 minutes shuts off with no warning at all. Mr. :apple: Geniu-ass told me it was absolutely a bad logic board.:rolleyes: Swapped battery and it works fine. Well as fine as a PB works running Leopard anyway.

12. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^ As far as batteries go, who knows?;) You always take a chance. Be aware that very few of the non-Apple batteries will give light indication while charging. They have lights but you have to press the button to know approx. charge level.

As for startup chime, do you get tones when doing a pram reset or open firmware boot?

14. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once the battery "works" its all good, also no chime on pram or firmware

15. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Also, since the PB does not make a startup chime, there is a good chance that only one memory slot on that machine is functional and another one is fried.

It was a very common problem with those machines (mine had that too but was fixed under warranty) and absence of startup chime (when the system sound is not muted, of course) was a symptom of that.

Check one thing: go to system info -> memory: which 512MB module is shown as installed: UPPER or LOWER? If it is UPPER, then your computer is probably defective.

16. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea it said upper, so the battery problem could be because of a defective mainboard:mad: what happened to yours when yours went defective, do i just lose a ram slot and should open it up and take the lower out so i can hear the chime or will things go mad

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The memory slot problems were an issue with 1.5/1.67 PB's. Apple has an extended repair program for them:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2164#faq2

Everything else works fine but the chime & battery? The system profiler doesn't even list a second slot - even though it's empty?

18. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

it has two slots it says, 1st one is lower which is empty. 2nd one which is upper says 512MB DDR

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Open her up and take a peek and see if you only have one stick in. Move it to the other slot if so and restart. See if it recognizes it's moved. You may be just fine.

20. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Since all PBs came with memory modules at least in the LOWER slot from the factory, the absence of one in this one means that either there are two modules installed with only the UPPER slot functioning, or there is only one module installed (UPPER), meaning that someone removed the lower module, most likely prior to sale. Both possibilities point to lower slot failure...

But, as NC MacGuy says, opening her up is the only sure way to see.

21. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

The memory slot failures were issues with a wide range of AL PBs, not only 1.5/1.67. The computer should work fine otherwise. The only problem is that you would be limited to 1Gb total ram. The battery might be a separate issue: with a computer of this age, it might be dead from natural causes. The ebay seller should have been more forthcoming on this issue though.

22. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK I'l open her up but the phillips screw head i use on my macbook pro wont work on the powerbook

23. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

24. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I took an HP laptop and digital camera to the UK on vacation. Both were rated to work on UK power, so I charged them there. Big No-No. When I returned home, the batteries in both devices would no longer hold a charge longer than a few minutes.

Just be mindful or buying used (or even new) batteries from the US, as you might run into the same problem