Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Howdy!

I am the owner of a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5ghz, and i replace the old IDE HDD with an MSATA 120GB SSD with an adapter, now i want to install Leopard OS, i create the bootable USB of 8GB stick, but nothing is showing when i boot with option key at startup.

I tried also with the command option+command+F+O, it starts but i can't find the USB drive.

Does anyone have some solutions regarding this issue?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20201103_232548.jpg
    MVIMG_20201103_232548.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 597

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Howdy!

I am the owner of a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5ghz, and i replace the old IDE HDD with an MSATA 120GB SSD with an adapter, now i want to install Leopard OS, i create the bootable USB of 8GB stick, but nothing is showing when i boot with option key at startup.

I tried also with the command option+command+F+O, it starts but i can't find the USB drive.

Unlike Intel Macs, PowerPC Macs (except for some early models) were not designed to boot from USB. They can, but you have to kickstart the process through Open Firmware. The command that @1deadhead mentions assumes you have booted into Open Firmware.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
You can try this, assuming you have your drive plugged into the rear USB.

boot usb1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi

Replace the usb1/ with usb0/ if it's in the front one
I tried, no success.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20201104_082053.jpg
    MVIMG_20201104_082053.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 409

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Or maybe i didn't create properly the USB? Can someone tell me how to create it properly for the PowerBook G4 12"

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
I created like that, but as you can see in the screenshots, the USB drive is not on the list on.

I tried:
Command ⌘+Option+O+F dev / ls, no USB disk on the list.
boot usb1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi, the same.

Seems that boot usb3/disk@1:,\\:tbxi is doing something but i receive just the restricted logo.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20201104_231037.jpg
    MVIMG_20201104_231037.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Howdy!

Follow this Youtube instruction below faithfully and you should have no problems seeing and booting from the USB flash drive with your PowerBook 12". Though I prefer restoring from a DVD copy myself when I was refurbishing those PowerBooks when I was working at the recycling depot.

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Follow this Youtube instruction below faithfully and you should have no problems seeing and booting from the USB flash drive with your PowerBook 12". Though I prefer restoring from a DVD copy myself when I was refurbishing those PowerBooks when I was working at the recycling depot.

Is the video that i followed before posting here, no chance. Nothing!

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
It seems like you are successfully telling Open Firmware to boot from USB, but the device itself is then not bootable. Did you create the USB using a PowerPC Mac? I have had issues like this when creating it in a modern Mac, but using Tiger/Leopard Disk Utility (using the exact same settings) it magically worked.

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
It seems like you are successfully telling Open Firmware to boot from USB, but the device itself is then not bootable. Did you create the USB using a PowerPC Mac? I have had issues like this when creating it in a modern Mac, but using Tiger/Leopard Disk Utility (using the exact same settings) it magically worked.
Yeah, i tried on a modern Mac with Catalina to create the USB on Recovery Mode, I will try on to do it on PowerPC.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
My dvd drive is broken, is there a way to use the Apple Super Drive? I have one around and I would like to use it, I know that Super Drives are working for models from 2008 but is there a way to make work on PowerBook?

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Okay, this drives me crazy, I bought another one, everything working, boot options, c key to boot from DVD.

I tried to change the HDD with an SSD from the other power book with os x already installed, everything okay it boots and it arrives on the desktop.

So, i decided to reinstall the OS, I insert the DVD, and before chimes, I press the C key to boot from DVD, nothing, also ALT key not working, basically ALT key and C key not working and it boots directly to OS on desktop.

Then I tried to boot directly from the DVD from the desktop, prompt me to restart, it restarts and yes, it boots from DVD and now I reinstalled the OS.

I will try to check again the ALT key and C key to see if working after reinstall.

If it doesn’t work what should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.