Powerbook now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cursief999, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. cursief999 macrumors newbie

    Apr 27, 2005
    :eek: Probably this question has been asked many times but I still would like to know!

    I am ready to switch to Mac and am considering buying a 15" powerbook. It's not just because of the switch but also the fact that my pc laptop is (really) falling apart! So it is urgent.

    though with all the rumors I read, I am more and more scared in buying one of these and am afraid new powerbooks will be available very shortly!

    I am currently :confused:

    I would appreciate your comments on this! Should I just go for it? or not? help!
  2. revenuee macrumors 68020


    Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer

    well the next mac show is mid June <-- if we see anything, i don't think it will be till then <-- so if you can hold off that long, do it, anything after that wouldn't be till mid september

    but you could be playing the waiting game forever, i know what your talking about though, it would suck to get a computer and then find out the next day that a new generation is out.

    but if you need a computer, you need a computer, i'm getting the 15 inch in septemeber (for my next year of university) no matter what
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Just go and grab one. Even if they're updated tomorrow, it probably wont be anything significant. :(

    By the way, welcome to the fold. :) You'll love it.
  4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Okay, here is my current recommendation for you, and you're not going to get much peace out of it:

    The Powerbooks could be updated SOONER or LATER. We don't really know. Never have we been in a situation where a product's future has been so unclear - not as long as I can remember here at MacRumors.. and I've been here almost two and a half years (not on this account).

    I am playing the waiting game right now. For instance, I have an iMac that is getting old (3 today) and I am planning on getting a PowerBook, but I think it will be worth the wait for the updates.

    However, telling you to wait until early June (WWDC starts 6/6) is only slightly more than a month away - and if your PC will last that long... I'd wait. After that, you MIGHT see an August release, but usually they'd PROBABLY (in my OPINION) wait until September (3 whole months) for the Paris Expo, and in that case... you wouldn't want to wait. I would say that if you can, you ought to wait until after WWDC and try reinstalling your system software on your current PC for the time being.

    By the way, thank you for switching over. You are no longer on the dark side.
  5. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
  6. sammyman macrumors 6502a

    Mar 21, 2005
    New design or revision?

    I am curious if you all think the aluminum model will last since it has been a while since they were first released? Regardless of when it is released, do you think the next upgrade will only be a minor one with slight speed boosts etc. Or will it be a big step/new body style/major improvements?

    I am waiting till june as well because of your comments, but want to make the first mac purchase a good one.
  7. revenuee macrumors 68020


    Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    any mac purchase will be a good one really

    a lot of people talk about FUTURE PROOFING here on the forums. As much of techno-junkie as i am, a computer is for work -> bottom line, can the current powerbook do the job you need it to do?

    i still work off an a 400 mhz and happily edit DV work, edit 6 megapixel camera files -> yes it is slow, but i was willing to hold my breath for a G5 powerbook. BUT things changed, new job coming in september, i need to be light, i need to be portable and thats why i'm upgrading to a new computer, then, no matter what happens -- but thats just the way it came up for me.

    yes, we all want to be at the for front of technology, but really there is no way to keep up. If you can wait till JUNE, i would since thats the closest -- other then that, just grab one
  8. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    The last upgrade in february was not really anything *major*. I believe the next upgrade will have some sort of processor upgrade. An upgrade to what is anyone's guess..... The aluminum powerbook has been out a while and I would expect them to redesign the case when they use a new chip.

    So with all that, I would like to say its going to be a "bigstep/new body style/major improvement".

    I also have a gut feeling that we are most likely going to see an upgrade at WWDC. (definately Paris at the latest). But if you don't need the computer for anything like video editing (like i am going to be, thats why i'm waiting...) then if it doesn't come at WWDC, i would just get it.
  9. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004
    when? what?

    unless you really can only make do with a pbook, why not buy a 12" ibook for now. it is really good value, just updated, plus tiger...

    then you have some breathing room. use it until the next pbook rev and then decide if it is worth upgrading to it. if it is not you can wait even longer. is there so much you can do with a pbook that you can't do with an ibook?

    this has some terrific advantages:

    1) you save money now
    2) you don't have to wait
    3) great resale value on the ibook (better than on the pbook)
    4) if you like the ibook, you will love the pbook even more
    5) often waiting for revisions mean better specs AND lower prices
    6) something zen about starting small and having something to look forward to down the road

    you are going to love mac! welcome home :)
  10. matticus008 macrumors 68040


    Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If by "just updated" you mean last October and by "better resale value" you mean the same resale value, then I agree with these statements completely!

    Seriously though, if you wait until June like you say, buy the one that will get the job done and that you can afford. The iBooks will be updated by then and could be the better deal (they certainly are better buys right now for the typical user). I doubt there will be new PowerBooks before this coming Fall, and it doesn't seem like you can wait that long if you thought you needed to switch now.
  11. Statik macrumors member

    Aug 22, 2004
    I just ordered a 15" powerbook yesterday to replace my old iBook. My reasoning was that the price has gone down to where it is affordable and I like the fact that the current powerbook has gone through a couple of iterations now, so all the kinks should be worked out. Having iLife 05 and Tiger is just the icing on the cake.

    I was tempted to wait for a G5 powerbook instead, but I've been bitten by revision 'A' products before. So even if the fabled G5 powerbook was released tomorrow, I'd still be waiting until the 'B' release.

    I also considered getting a new iBook instead, but found that once I started to max out the HD space the price point creaped up into powerbook territory anyways.

    You can play the waiting game forever. At some point you just have to give up and dive in.
  12. Paramedic macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    Buy Now

    I waited until MacWorld SF 2004 to get my Al PB thinking there would be an update. I have now had my laptop for 15 months and the only changes have been at upclock in speed and inclusion of the faster HD for the same price. So just think - by switching now, you'll get a better deal now than many of already have. Just wait until Friday to order so you don't have to pay for the new OS. (unless buying now gets you grandfathered - I have not checked.)
  13. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    I strongly suggest you wait until WWDC to buy your pb.
  14. plinden macrumors 68040


    Apr 8, 2004
    Most people seem to believe that the current PBs are the last revision of their type, and the new revision will be totally redesigned, so IF you are happy with acting as beta-tester for new hardware, wait.

    On the other hand, IF, like me, you want a stable machine that works, get one now. If I don't buy one of the current design, I will wait for the rev B of the next revision, which could be another 12-18 months.
  15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Consider the power that is really in the current AlBooks. It's quite astonishing, IMHO, for the design and small blueprint. I can't get over the beauty and perfected features. Really, I think it's a mistake to wait, but if you wait until WWDC all the more power to you!
  16. wheezy macrumors 65816


    Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    Maybe I just have high expectations for my wallet....I've had a slick lil 12" since April '04 (1Ghz) and am a lil envious of the bigger HD's and faster G4's and better video cards in the new PBooks...I've been tempted to ebay mine for a new one. Just the other day though, I realized I'd just lose money that I can save towards a G5 Tower; I've now decided to hold onto my PB through thick and thin and past the G5 PB's when they come, and just get a tower for power. I'd wait until June, you might as well get that last lil pinch of power or whatever they'll do, but don't sit much longer than that. These laptops are just the coolest laptop on the planet, hands down. I just got a 1gig RAM yesterday, and that has made me realize I have a solid lil laptop worth holding onto.
  17. Eevee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Wait till June if you do not really need a laptop now.
  18. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    This one is pretty easy to speculate. There really are 3 possibilities:

    1. PowerBook G4 "speed bump": Current PowerBook G4s use 130-nm MPC7447B G4 processors. Its replacement is MPC7448, a 90-nm CPU that draws significantly less power than 7447B, while bumping FSB to 200 MHz and doubling L2 cache to 1 MB. While not quite as dramatic as other 2 possibilities, that's still pretty exciting stuff considering lethargic pace of G4 evolution. This CPU is supposedly due in a couple of months.

    2. PowerBook G4 "dual core": More significant upgrade is MPC8641D G4 processor, which not only bumps FSB to 667 MHz, features integrated memory controller and PCI Express support, it is dual-core. I guess it's possible that Apple will wimp out and offer single-core MPC8641, but since both implementations are not pin-level compatible with 74xx series and will require redesign, and because MPC8641D draws power comparable to existing 7447B, I don't think that'll happen. 8641D is due in Q3 2005.

    3. PowerBook G5: This is a long shot and I would be very very surprised if this gets out before G4 "speed bump" or G4 "dual core." It's entirely possible that IBM is making progress. But judging by pathetic PowerMac G5 speed bump today, it doesn't seem likely.
  19. atomwork macrumors regular


    Jun 5, 2001
    Miami Beach

    I need to get a PB for the office, however I really would like to see an HD upgrade across the line or at least the 17". For any designer or art director the current resolution is really crappy.

    Rumors say that would be may be the case since Steve said 2005 will be the year of HD.
  20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040


    Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    This by far is the most realistic path for the next update, but you are right, that is pretty exciting stuff. A PB with a 1.8Ghz G4, 200Mhz FSB, and 1MB L2 Cache would actually perform very nicely. I bet it would give a 1.8Ghz G5 a run for it's money performance wise.
  21. lorenzo macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2005

    whats this WWDC thing i hear all about?
    And why should he wait?

    I'm having the same problem. Buy now... or wait it out. Do you guys think they will have a powerbook update by June?
  22. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    This is WWDC.
    Nobody here really knows. If you need it now, buy it; if you don't, go ahead and wait. Only you know how bad you want/need it.

    Personally I would not be expecting too much to change in Apple's laptop line by June. Maybe small bumps. But what do I know: nothing.
  23. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    Now below is just my speculation and like "mcgarry" said we don't know anything:

    I personally think we will be seeing something at WWDC in a few weeks regarding the powerbook. I think its going to be more than just another speedbump, something along the lines of a change in processor. It makes no sense for apple to have waited soooo long between powerbook revisions and give it such a puny upgrade. 5400 rpm harddrives and a bump of .17 ghz isn't much for waiting 10 months.

    Apple has been working on a g5 in the powerbook for over a year now and when asked at the Q2 conference Apple VP Tim Cook said, "I still think it's the mother of all thermal challenges... I haven't changed my view on that." I don't know why everyone assumes that statement means they are having trouble getting it to "work". That is his opinion on how challenging it was/is. I could install a computer and two weeks later say "I still think that was the easiest install I ever did."

    Also don't forget we heard a lot of rumors from credible sources like macrumors, apple insider, and thinksecret of powerbook g5's in early februrary which could mean that they have them ready to be built but haven't yet and chose to release one last revision of the g4 pb.

    I personally will be at least waiting till WWDC to buy my pb.
  24. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    nutmac and metsfan489 speak words of wisdom. I want to believe ... oh me of little faith. The question is on the timing. I think WWDC just maybe might be realistic, I'm just not ready to bet on it. Rumor buzz doesn't mean everything, but we'll see how the next 1.5 months goes ...
  25. johnj macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm playing the same waiting game - going nuts. A 10% discount Friday night would probably make me pull out the credit card.

    Then again..."Mother of all thermal challenges" solved for Mother's Day!?!

Share This Page