Powerbooks delayed until MWSF 2003?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by arn, Nov 4, 2002.

  1. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    PowerPage posted an update overnight that suggests that Powerbooks won't be updated until MacWorld SF 2003.

    The problem was the entire story wasn't available due to database issues, and now the whole site isn't coming up.

    Just a heads up... I'll post more if they come back online.

  2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

    Dec 14, 2001
    I believe TS over powerpage. They posted some portable specs last time out that were way off.
  3. technocoy macrumors 6502a


    Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

    I can't deal with this anymore!!! I want a revised powerbook so bad!!! this up and down, revision, no revision!!!! it's killing MMEEEEEE!!!!1:confused:
  4. technocoy macrumors 6502a


    Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

    i just applied a little mac logic.... if the ibook upgrade match the speculation, then their is no way that apple will not upgrade the ti until MWSF, simply because, INHO, they will not let a ibook with 32 megs of video and 800 mhz co-exist with a 32 meg video 800 mhz g4 powerbook....

    good, i've talked myself into a calm state of mind:)
  5. arn thread starter macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    Re: calm....


    I'm a bit torn on this too... with all the rumors about Powerbook upgrade floating around, PowerPage must be pretty sure to post to the contrary... As well, I'd heard the PowerBook release date were more in question, than the iBooks perse.

    make me nervous...

  6. cb911 macrumors 601


    Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    if there isn't a 9000 in the TiBook this revision then i'd rather wait until MWSF for it.
  7. iMax macrumors member

    Feb 20, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    i know its pretty easy to upgrade a graphics card in a desktop... but how about a notebook, or specifically, a powerbook?

    Would it be possible to stick a raedon 9000 w/ 64MB into a Tibook after it was released?
  8. the future macrumors 6502a

    Jul 17, 2002
    German page macnews.de reports on what powerpage.org had to say about new powerbooks after MWSF (before their server went down):

    "Demnach soll ein neues Gehäuse mit mehr Metall im Inneren für eine bessere Kühlung sorgen. Gemunkelt wird auch über ein 16 Zoll großes Display. Die TFT-Monitore der PowerBooks sollen durch eine neue Hintergrundbeleuchtung zudem heller ausfallen. Eine automatische Anpassung der Prozessorgeschwindigkeit soll die Batterielaufzeit verlängern."
    new enclosure with more metallic parts inside for better cooling; 16 inch TFT; brighter background lighting, thus brighter TFTs; longer battery runtime due to automatic adjustment of cpu speed.

    They DO NOT think this would rule out speedbumped powerbooks on november 5/6.
  9. MrMacMan macrumors 604


    Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    OH G*D this is getting confusing... :eek:
    I can't stand it!
    :jumps out of window:
    :goes to second floor:
    :jumps out of window:
    :lands in pool: Pool, okay Who put the pool here? :rolleyes:
    God really, their are so many conflicting reports.
    :picks random insanity product: OKAY EVERYONE APPLE IS RE-RELEASING THE CUBE!!! :D :D
  10. nassau macrumors newbie

    Jul 2, 2002

    i heard this rumor too, they said it would be an iCube, small as a dice. and the numbers/dots on the dice are small apples.
  11. kfury macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2002
    I'll only say it once...

    This week: Tibook refresh.

    MWSF: New TiBook form factors, augmenting (not replacing) the existing TiBook design. Remember the 14" iBook at MWSF02? Now it's the TiBook's turn.
  12. impierced macrumors 6502


    Sep 30, 2002
    Re: I'll only say it once...

    Hmmm... TiBook refresh this week and then 2 months later, the introduction of new PowerBook G4s? I rather doubt that Apple would do that.

    Either one of two things is going to happen...

    #1 Refreshed PowerBook G4s this week and new PowerBook in 6-8 months.
    - or -
    #2 No refresh this week and new PowerBooks in 2 months at MWSF.

    Personally, I think I'd rather it be #2.
  13. Upright Joe macrumors newbie

    Oct 28, 2002
    Did I read something different?

    I didn't read the PowerPage writeup for the PowerBooks as indicating it wouldn't be upgraded until MWSF. It looked to me like there would be a furthur revision at MWSF.

    Even if they were implying that it wouldn't get updated until MWSF, I still expect a Ti update this week. We can already be reasonably sure that the price is dropping. We know inventory is getting low at distributers. It's getting bumped.
  14. srobert macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2002
    you meanies!


    ...quit making fun of my cube. The poor thing went straight from being the new kid on the block to being a collectible relic. I love it anyway, would'nt part from it for $2000 bucks. (I'm open for $2001+ offers though ^_^... a wad-o-cash is a wad-o-cash after all.)

  15. impierced macrumors 6502


    Sep 30, 2002
    Re: Did I read something different?

    Don't think you read anything different, you just didn't use common sense after reading it. :p

    Apple would never bump their laptops and then in 60 days release all new PowerBooks that would replace the existing PowerBook G4 Ti lineup.
  16. MOM macrumors member

    May 14, 2002
    San Francisco
    Re: NNNOOOOOO!!!!

    There is an old saying:

    If you can't take the rumors then stay out of the forums ;-)


    P.S. don't forget to vote!!
  17. Upright Joe macrumors newbie

    Oct 28, 2002
    If it's a small speed bump or something requring virually 0 change to the rest of the hardware, why not?

    We're coming up on the Christmas season for which they've got to be as competitive as possible. Why not slap a faster G4 in there, drop the price a bit and kick it out the door to boost Christmas sales as best as possible? It seems reasonable to me anyhow...

    (Plus people don't seem to have much confidence for PowerPage in regard to its accuracy)
  18. impierced macrumors 6502


    Sep 30, 2002
    What I was saying though was that if Apple does the bump (new dance craze?) this week, then I don't see the PowerBooks getting another rev again until mid 2003, certainly not MWSF.

    I think Apple will release a minor bump with a price cut to get the Ti Book into the hands of more people, but it'll be a lackluster bump.

    Personally, I'll be waiting another 6-8 months to upgrade my exisiting 500MHz TiBook.
  19. Upright Joe macrumors newbie

    Oct 28, 2002
    Oh, I thought you were saying we would see an update at MWSF and not this week. My mistake.

    Yeah, if I had a 500MHz TiBook, I'd wait too... I don't have an apple portable right now... I use an old B&W that I've updgraded to a G4 550 and a Dell laptop running Win2k. I'm trying to hold out for a PowerBook with a SuperDrive but I want an apple laptop so badly that I might cave with this revision even without a SuperDrive.
  20. renik macrumors newbie

    Nov 4, 2002
    I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of two distinct revisions.

    Do you guys remember the sawtooth(i think that's what it is was called, correct me if I'm wrong)? Apple came out with the G4 chip in the old enclosure just in time for the holidays to boost sales and shortly threafter had a major revision to the desktop.

    Maybe a new powerbook is in the works for MWNY (or soon after) and apple just needs a way to boost holiday sales.
  21. impierced macrumors 6502


    Sep 30, 2002
    You mean *Yikes*, the intro of the G4 chip in the new enclosure, however, Apple also announced the *Sawtooth* at the same time, but shipping on the *Sawtooth* was delayed.
  22. Scab Cake macrumors member

    Jul 26, 2001
    My two cents

    Okay, so I'm not even remotely informed on this subject, but hey, might as well speculate.

    Here's what I think is gonna happen:

    New iBooks will be released with the $200 price cuts on all levels at 700 MHz and 800 MHz, just as the rumors have been saying. Check out xlr8yourmac.com and look at the top story.

    As for the Powerbooks, I'd be willing to bet that they get internal Bluetooth without any speed bumps, but there will also be a price drop. THAT way, they can release new Powerbooks at Mac World in January.

    I dunno, what do you guys think? I'm just taking all of the rumors and putting them together so it makes some sort of sense to me.

    P.S. Off topic...Any of you with dual GHz machines and faster running Jaguar...I am totally jealous. I tried it for the first time today and it blows my single 867 out of the water. I need me a Powerlogix upgrade card. :)
  23. redAPPLE macrumors 68030


    May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    u really think they would revise the TI in january again?

  24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030


    May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i think they would increase sales more, if they bring out the real deal now.

    i would not buy a product which is not up to my "standards".
  25. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

    Jan 5, 2002
    Re: My two cents

    People, look at this from a position of basic logic.

    Going by what you people are saying:
    If they release new Powerbooks this week, it will take until roughly Thanksgiving to flood the channel and for stores such as Compusa to have it in stock. Then they will have exactly four weeks to sell the new powerbooks. Then they will take two to three weeks to drain the channel, then fill it with completely new redesigned Powerbooks.

    This is not even close to possible now. The costs and logistics would be a complete nightmare. Apple is not going to do this especially when it has to pinch costs. Even if they added a superdrive, that wouldn't happen till March. Be realistic.

Share This Page