PowerMac and Xserve Revisions at MWSF 2004?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Appleinsider reports that they now have corroborating infomration that Apple will be updating their PowerMac line at MacWorld San Francisco 2004.

    The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations. Previous notes, however, had indicated that IBM was producing chips as fast as 2.6GHz at this time. Other expectations remain the same with the use of 90nm PowerPCs, 533MHz DDR II RAM, a faster system bus (up to 1.5GHz).

    Xserve updates are also expected, but few details are available.
  2. TomSmithMacEd macrumors 6502

    Nov 5, 2003
    Fargo, ND
    I could definatly see this happening. It would be nice to see new Powermacs. They are running behind on speed now. And Xserves.. everyone knows how outdated they are.
  3. paulypants macrumors 6502a


    Jun 17, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Xserves should be up to about 2.6 Ghz
    by the end of january, powermacs may not be that fast but hopefully will equal that at the high end--I'm still waiting to get one til it gets over 3Ghz
  4. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

    Dec 1, 2003
  5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000


    Mar 21, 2003

    All I have to say is ...


    But I would still like to see some kind of powerbook update.

  6. jouster macrumors 65816

    Jan 21, 2002
    AI has a good record of late, no?

    Well these seem reasonable, though doubtless some will find reasons to complain:

    Th1S SuXX0Rs, wh3R3 is teh 3Ghz PowerMaxxx0rzz?

    and so on.....
  7. AirUncleP macrumors regular

    Dec 19, 2002
    Price Drops?

    I wonder how far the current G5 models will drop in price?
  8. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

    Oct 24, 2003
    Maybe they are holding off on the 2.6 until they release the 2.8 and 3.0Ghz PM's?

    All I know is the 3Ghz PM is mine or 3.2 if it's out by then as well.
  9. macMaestro macrumors regular

    Sep 14, 2003

    But nothing really new here.

    I liked those 2.6 Ghz rumors better though. :mad:
  10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020


    Aug 5, 2003

    and my processor running at 867 MHZ... I need that improvement for my next PB...

    Great for the next owners of those babies...
  11. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

    Oct 24, 2003
    Re: nice!

    I could see them updating the chassis of the PB model line. Revision to the screens if they haven't already been implemented and speed bumps.

    1.42 = 17inch
    1.33 = 15inch
    1.25 = 12inch

    This also reminds me I'll be buying a G5 PB as well whenever they come out this yr. and maybe new iPod if new ones are kick ass.
  12. Gymnut macrumors 68000


    Apr 18, 2003
    Well, always nice to hear possible processor updates, tho I'm hoping Apple is prepared to deliver should there be an overwhelming demand for the high-end model.
  13. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

    Oct 24, 2003
    What I'm wondering is when we see the 3Ghz PM will it have a 2Ghz FSB? If so these suckers will kick some ass.
  14. neonart macrumors 65816


    Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    These nunbers seem reasonable. It would be nice if all three where duals. I'm waiting for this revision to go G5 since I got the budget approval from the finance department (a.k.a.:wife).
    Even a single 2 would be a monster with 1Ghz bus!
  15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040


    Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    uhhh... am i missing something? how are they behind on speed when they JUST CAME OUT? that being said... new is always good. i might have to get one if this turns out to be true... birthday is coming up
  16. fussball macrumors regular

    May 7, 2003
    If Apple update the G5 towers and XServes, along with some i-applications.. I wonder if still hoping for PB updates will be too much? It's all I really want, come on guys!
  17. ksz macrumors 68000

    Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Hmmm, thinking out loud...

    Will they be duals all across?
    Will the low end model be single-CPU (seems likely)?
    Will the new lineup take the prices of the current lineup, from $1799 to $2999?
    Will the price drop on existing models be such that the current king of the hill (dual 2GB) matches (or approximates) the price of the new (single?) 2GHz? Seems unlikely because that could mean dropping from $3000 to $2000.
  18. eric67 macrumors 6502


    Oct 17, 2002
    France, Europe
    problem with the mobo

    I think the highest processor speed for the coming revision of PM will be 2.4-2.5GHz, I think this is the max the FSB can support (1.2-1.25GHz). I mean just imagine PC world is still at 800MHz...
    I have raed somewhere that for a 3GHz PM, this can not be installed on the existing mother board model. (probably due to FSB)
    I rather think ofthe info reported by appleinsider and macbidouille.com of a multiprocessor Xserve 3U for making big cluster.

    it has to be faster than the PPC970 1U blade server developped by IBM, so I guess Apple will go multiprocessors and higher end server...
    this could correspond to the yesterday news regarding entreprise/larger business unit that Apple would like to developp....
  19. bishopduke, Dec 12, 2003
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  20. eric67 macrumors 6502


    Oct 17, 2002
    France, Europe
    at least 1.5GHz

    3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.
    now I would imagine than the nex mother board will be able to get 3GHz+ G5, so let say a FSB on a new mobo which will be able to accomodate FSB between 1.5GHz and 2GHz (the latest meaning a G5 at 4GHz...)
    without forgetting than in that case the RAM needs to run also to corresponding level.
  21. stockscalper macrumors 6502a


    Aug 1, 2003
    Area 51
  22. willmg macrumors member

    Aug 25, 2003
    I dont understand the need for DDR2 memory, in fact that may be a mistake as DDR2 is quite rare at the moment and most is being used only with High end graphics boards like 5700Ultra/5950Ultra. There is DDR1 memory currently at 533MHz sold by high end memory companies like OCZ and Mishkin, which could be used in these systems and would be much more resonably priced.
  23. From Win to Mac macrumors regular

    Apr 25, 2001
    Montreal, Canada
    AppleInsider says...

    that we'll get DUAL 2.0, DUAL 2.2 and DUAL 2.4 Ghz in January. This means that the price for the low-end PowerMac will go up again, to the level it was when they launched the G5 :mad:

    Oh well, i'll have to pay 300$ more. :p
  24. bathysphere macrumors member

    Oct 31, 2003
    Re: at least 1.5GHz

    3ghz means a fsb of MAXIMUM at 1.5 ghz, and if they don't have new motherboards, lower.
  25. dongmin macrumors 68000


    Jan 3, 2002
    Re: at least 1.5GHz

    don't you guys bother reading the actual articles?

    The January revision will most definitely have a revised logic board supporting a FSB of up to 1.5 ghz. That means to go beyond 3 ghz, they'll need to revise the board yet again. But then, the 3ghz+ Power Macs are supposed to support the yet-unannounced 980s which will require yet another logic board revision. This is quite a development path for Apple. New chips and new motherboards every six months!

    Also in the article: with the cooler-running 970s, heatsinks and/or fans will get smaller allowing more room for HDs, possibly up to four HDs for a terabyte of storage.

Share This Page