PowerMac Delivery Dates?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    ThinkSecret offers distributer data from Ingram Micro on the delivery dates of the PowerMac G5's.

    According to Ingram Micro, dates in August are targetted for the 1.6 and 1.8GHz machines, while "late September" is the expected date of the 2.0GHz model.

    Meanwhile, those who have ordered their 2.0GHz PowerMacs early from Apple continue to have late August delivery dates.
  2. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    page 2'd due to uncertain significance.

    This doesn't necessarily mean that _all_ PowerMac 2.0GHz orders are delayed until Late September. But it might. Somewhat speculative.

  3. picklescott macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2003
    just ordered...

    i just "fake" ordered a 1.6 and a dual 2.0

    est. shipping... 1.6 : 4-6 wks, dual 2.0 : 7-10 wks

  4. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    Re: just ordered...

    doesn't mean that much. You're behind behind thousands of other dual 2.0 orders.

  5. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

    May 13, 2002
    Hold steady, On-or-Before-date-of-Sept-2nd! =) You can dooo it!
  6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000


    Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I am a little conflicted here. Of course I don't want this to be true, but Thinksecret is pretty rock solid and they usually don't say things unless they are certain. When it appears here on MR, it's on Page 2. I think I'll believe MacRumors on this one, simply because they have the info that I want to believe. :)
  7. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    There's no conflict.

    "Ingram Says 2.0 PowerMacs due in late September."

    True. ThinkSecret is right.

    However, what does this mean? Probably, very little.

    Ingram always posts estimated delivery dates. From my understanding they are not always very accurate. Also, Ingram getting them or not doesn't mean Apple can't ship them to people who have ordered from their online apple store.

  8. ncollingridge macrumors member

    Jul 22, 2002
    Latest shipping date for Dual 2GHz??

    Here in the UK I got an email from the AppleStore a week or so back that quotes:

    "We can confirm that your order will be shipped between the second to third week in August."

    My order is for two Dual 2GHz systems for clients.

    I have no idea if they will turn up then or not, but simply report the info for what it's worth!
  9. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a


    Apr 22, 2003
    cleveland, oh

    i'm lucky to be going to a quarters school (ohio state) where it dosen't start until september 24th, but still... if for some reason, I do not get my G5 before i go to school.... AHHHHHHHH. I was getting really excited lately because I was thinking with the positive G5 news that has been out that I may be seeing it the second or third week of august. I ordered my BTO Dual the day after the keynote, so I should be in the first batch of shipments...

    also, worth noting: after the education store knocked prices down a ton, and they were graciuos enough to apply those changes to exisiting orders, I called apple to but the superdrive back in my G5, which i left out for cost reasons. They told me that doing so would delay my order 3 weeks. I asked them when my order would ship, and he told me that 'all new orders ship on or before 8/29/2003'. So then I said my G5 would ship 3 weeks before that? And he said no guarantees, but from what he knows, yes.

    i'm hoping...
  10. mrougeux macrumors newbie

    Aug 13, 2002
    Arn you make a good point. Before panicking, the following should be considered: half of all G5's preordered are 2.0 Ghz's. Those orders have to be filled first. (how many and how long it takes are unknowns, partly a function of IBM's ability to deliver the chip). Then, Apple may send the next available units to its own stores. Finally, Ingram and Tech Data begin to get them. Is this not a plausible scenario, a result of the large number of preorders? I ordered my 2.0 at 1:34 the day they were announced (June 23) from apple's online store. I can't imagine there are too many ahead of me in line. I'll pass on any news regarding my order as I receive it. Currently it shows a ship date on or before 8/29.
  11. CaptainScarlet macrumors regular

    Jul 25, 2002
    Think again.....

    Think again everyone.

    I posted a story about this same title ( here on Macrumers), but it didn't go to "Press" and no one read it.

    Anyway, my contact at PCC, said they will have 3000 of each...1.6,1.8, and yes the 2.0 dual's, on Aug 15.

    But she also said that they may only receive about 1/3 of the shipment.

    So wait in line!!!!!!

    Also they will have tons of stuff bundled. Like Ram, printer, and a lot of Adobe products.


    CS out.....
  12. solvs macrumors 603


    Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Re: school!

    Buy a third party DVD-R for about $200 later on. Just make sure it's compatible (Accelerate You Mac).

    I'm sure people who waited to buy will have to keep waiting. But here's hoping early orders are fulfilled on time. Then we can start getting some reviews.

    And it'll put to rest the rumors that IBM can't deliver.
  13. maedhros5851 macrumors newbie

    Jul 31, 2003
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is it worth it?

    My question may be slightly heretical, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

    I am entering the University of Chicago in late September. I will need to have a computer by then. I would like to have a computer that I won't have to replace in a year or two, if at all possible, but obviously I have to weigh this against my budget. So far I have saved up about 2000, and my parents could probably throw in about another 500 if really necessary. So since it doesn't look like G5 Powerbooks are coming out by then (that would be soooo sweet), I have two options. Buy a G5 Powermac, for around 2500 (base model plus display minus internal modem and minus superdrive), or buy a pretty good (for a Windows machine) model for anywhere between 700 and 1000. I may have to replace the windows machine in two years, but it still beats a powermac handily pricewise even if I never replace it (and I can tell you my Graphite iMac DV may have been the bomb diggity four years ago, but 400Mhz blows chunks today). I will be the first to champion the innate supremacy of a mac over any other PC, but is it really worth it? Keep in mind I cannot wait until the next big thing comes out from Apple.

    -Jonathan Williams
  14. daveL macrumors 68020


    Jun 18, 2003
    Re: Is it worth it?

    Always the first question: What are the requirements? What are you goin got use it for? I know professional IT people that are quite happy with the iBook line. Also, so one on these forums recently quoted a refurb'd dual 1.25 GHz G4 for under $1400. That's really a lot of machine for most students.

    Just a thought. Think about what you're going to do with it and go from there, with budget in mind, of course.
  15. thabih macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2003
    Re: Is it worth it?

    As far as I know, the Powermac G5 IS the next big thing from Apple.

    Go comparison shopping at dell.com for a simlilarly configured windows PC. I was pretty generous, and came up with a 2000 dollar machine similar to the 1.8 GHz G5, minus super drive. So you're paying a 200 dollar premium for the mac. Or, you could get an education discount or a student developer discount and get a mac that's cheaper than the dell. This is what I did.

    It is true, however that Apple will get beat on the middle-end. As for the low end, I'm not sure how the eMac stacks up against low end PC's.

    The 12 inch powerbook is pretty competative with PC offerings on weight, price, and battery life, but it's not as fast.

    I would go with either a Powermac G5 or a 12 inch Powerbook.

    Good luck
  16. kenaustus macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2003
    What are you going to study?


    Probably the most important factor in setting your needs is the program you are going to study. For example, liberal arts won't demand the same computer power as engineering. The education discount Apple provides to students is a benefit you need to look into - it might make your decision easier.

    If you go the laptop route I would recommend the 12" (iBook or PB), mainly because I carry a 15" PB on business trips around the world. Dragging a 12" around campus would be a lot easier. The question is: will you really need to drag a laptop around campus. If not then I think that the G5 1.6 or 1.8 would be a joy. You can bump the memory up later, if needed, and the risk of theft is dramatically reduced. Just be sure to get AppleCare, regardless of the Mac you choose. If you order a desktop and display at the same time the display will be covered under the desktop order. Also be sure to check out your insurance to ensure your computer is covered while you are incollege.

    As far as buying a cheap PC to hold you over, that would be a decision you would you may make based on finances. You would probably get several years out of it, if you get a good brand. I use a Dell in the office and it has done pretty well for me. I did, however, make a support call last week and was transferred to India where the woman was more concerned about getting me to say that the problem (running VERY slow) was fixed than actually fixing it. Now I uderstand why their support has dropped from an "A" rating to a "B". IBM is the only major vendor (besides Apple) with an "A" rating, which would put them at the top of my PC list - I would not go Dell again if I had to buy another PC after that experience.

    The other issue you may need to address is a printer. If you don't need color I would recommend finding the least expensive brand name laser printer available. Ink for ink jets cost a fortune!

    Have a great time in college! It can be a grand time an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

Share This Page